Daimler AG to pay $1.5B to settle emissions cheating - 2010 through 2016 Sprinter vans with “BlueTEC II” diesel engines

djsincla

There is an up and coming recall...

The recall repairs will vary by model and include software fixes, or in some cases changes to the catalytic converters, Berman said. The repairs will bring the vehicles into compliance with pollution laws, he said.

jzf0fk

So, there is some money coming to us van owners but they will also have to have the modifications installed. I believe there is warranty on the emission system... I suspect that the vans will be branded "altered" and value might be lowered. From what I read about what had happened to the VWs that were alternated, the driving and fuel usage is slightly differently. I think we have until 2022 to get this modification.

It will be interesting to see what will happen....

WinnieView1

So, there is some money coming to us van owners but they will also have to have the modifications installed. I believe there is warranty on the emission system... I suspect that the vans will be branded "altered" and value might be lowered. From what I read about what had happened to the VWs that were alternated, the driving and fuel usage is slightly differently. I think we have until 2022 to get this modification.

It will be interesting to see what will happen....
Also interesting to see what will happen for those who have chosen to make their own modifications.
We are not included in that group as we live in a tightly controlled emissions-testing County.

D

Deleted member 50714

"The company said it is not obligated to buy back the vehicles, as Volkswagen was, nor will it have an independent monitor to track its progress on the settlement".

"Daimler said owners of model year 2009 through 2016 Mercedes cars and 2010 through 2016 Sprinter vans with “BlueTEC II” diesel engines will be notified of recalls to fix excessive vehicle emissions. Customers will receive letters starting late this year, and the company will set up a customer website, Daimler said in a statement".

Allow me to translate as I am expert in these affairs: Gooberment and lawyers get all the money, we'll take your vehicle, screwed up so it will run worse when we give it back, and consumer SOL!

What a colosal crock of male bovine fecal matter! Please explain how it can be "fixed" now but not when manufactured? NEED ANOTHER LAWSUIT POST HASTE! SOB's!

lindenengineering

"The company said it is not obligated to buy back the vehicles, as Volkswagen was, nor will it have an independent monitor to track its progress on the settlement".

"Daimler said owners of model year 2009 through 2016 Mercedes cars and 2010 through 2016 Sprinter vans with “BlueTEC II” diesel engines will be notified of recalls to fix excessive vehicle emissions. Customers will receive letters starting late this year, and the company will set up a customer website, Daimler said in a statement".

Allow me to translate as I am expert in these affairs: Gooberment and lawyers get all the money, we'll take your vehicle, screwed up so it will run worse when we give it back, and consumer SOL!

What a colosal crock of male bovine fecal matter! Please explain how it can be "fixed" now but not when manufactured? NEED ANOTHER LAWSUIT POST HASTE! SOB's!
Bob calm down
Remember its just a piece of bent iron formed into a tin box !
Get a perspective.
Dennis

D

Deleted member 50714

Then with that newfound calmness please look historically (if not hysterically ) at the US /Domestic Auto industry where there is plenty egregious behavior including throwing trusted suppliers & partners under the bus to save their sorry backsides .
Dennis
Please explain to me why I need to take my vehicle to have repairs performed that Mercedes claimed aren't needed.

IT'S all BS! Armageddon can't come soon enough!

220817a

Independent & Self Reliant - From Chattanooga TN

Bob... The information about MB's "cheat" is too vague... Actually it doesn't even make sense.

The case with the VW, it was not only that the software was programmed to cheat, but the whole design of the exhaust system with its 3 catalytic converters was flawed. This is not the case with MB, because they would have to recall not hundreds of thousands of vehicles but millions of vehicles. The only way it makes sence to me is, if there was some sort of issue with the software version (SW version). For example, 2010-2012 Sprinters have 2-3 different software version, it is not like for 2007-2009. 2007-2009 has the software.

showkey

German auto makers are being punished for Germany's expressing its will to be independent in the changing geopolitics of the world. Nothing else...
The only thing wrong with that theory was in 2008-2010 Toyota, Honda and Mazda all said we will not bring a diesel to the North American market ........because it could not sell a Price competitive product and meet the new emissions standards.

220817a

Independent & Self Reliant - From Chattanooga TN
The only thing wrong with that theory was in 2008-2010 Toyota, Honda and Mazda all said we will not bring a diesel to the North American market ........because it could not sell a Price competitive product and meet the new emissions standards.
The fist thing you need to ask is, when did Honda or Toyota bring diesel vehicles to US? Besides the bigger truck... Were there any diesel sedans and SUVs, and pickups imported from Asia? Why a Nissan Titan, as an example, uses a Cummins engine? Do you think that Nissan cannot build one? There is more to it than you think...

Last edited:

jzf0fk

This is not the case with MB, because they would have to recall not hundreds of thousands of vehicles but millions of vehicles. The only way it makes sence to me is, if there was some sort of issue with the software version (SW version)
That is what I am thinking too. It is easier to tweak the software as that is less obvious than modifying the hardware layout on the emission side. I suspect the modified software will not have the same pickup as before.... There is a line from the link that we might be compensated for the diminished performance. It will be interesting to see what that will be. Maybe lifetime of complementary coffee when you bring your van in for service....

Top Bottom