Installing a $100 Single Din Android Head Unit

glasseye

Nearly two months after I sent $107USD to China from my MasterCard, this arrived in my mailbox.

IMG_20200811_123702 1200px.jpg

Here's a link to a YouTube review.

And here it is on Amazon

IMG_20200818_152445 1200px.jpg
Impressive manufacturing, I'd say. Compact and robust.

IMG_20200818_152621 1200px.jpg
There were zero install instructions, just this bag of wires.

IMG_20200818_152719 1200px.jpg
Fortunately, the wire labelling was bilingual.

IMG_20200825_110033 1200px.jpg
The operating instructions were laughable. China really needs to get its act together if they expect to sell complex tech gear to the west.
There's no branding anywhere on the packaging or on the unit. It apparently comes from some generic jobber factory.

Some of them have names like "Joying" or "Pumpkin" on the front. How embarrassing.

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
Will that fit? Looks like the screen is in the center. It will hang down over the heat controls. It might be too far back to clear the dash slope. Good luck.

glasseye

The forum only allows for five pix per post. :idunno: Challenging for pix-verbose types like me.
IMG_20200825_101014 1200px.jpg
I had the unit professionally installed. More or less. It came with no mounting hardware and the install tech didn't have anything that matched both the unit and Frito, so we just left it sitting in the 1 DIN bay until I could figure something out myself. It turned out to be a good idea. Rotating the display towards me improved visibility and operability significantly. Screen reflections that were problematic when mounted "normally" are now a non-issue and I can much more easily see and reach the touchscreen.

IMG_20200825_101238 1200px.jpg
A block of semi-rigid foam underneath and a wedging block on the RHS combine to jam the unit securely in place. I'm convinced it would survive the Eureka Dunes access road. Vic will approve of my low $ approach, at least until I fabricate a bracket to attach the unit permanently.

Or not. Depending. :hmmm:

Media input is via either the dangling USB cable routed next-but-one to the ASR button or via Bluetooth. The USB extension cable is prevented from disappearing into the dash by another block of foam until I can re-manufacture the cover plate that we removed to accommodate the cable.

Radio reception is WAY better than the single-line display Sony unit it replaces. It also dims the display at night. (with my Sony, it was either three levels of menu-diving or hang my jacket over the screen when driving dark roads at night.)

The Sony inhaled music via a 128GB USB stick on the front panel. Trouble is, with that much music there's no way to find stuff. I resorted to a 8X10 printed card (that I could never find in the cockpit) to link the Sony's indication of, say "ALBUM 137" to "Ry Cooder". Tiny font, can't read at night, impossible to update. Fuck.

Now, I have search. :rad:

And, of course now I have a ten inch display of where I am and where I'm going. SAT NAV! Way better than viewing my phone.

The install tech told me that the day before, he'd done an Alpine install into a recent model pickup. Same size screen. "The interface is identical", he said. "And so is the screen performance. Very impressive." It cost that guy $1700 and change. Perhaps the Alpine sounds better, I dunno. My four inch dash speakers will never know. It does sound superb through my Bose NC headphones. I used the in-unit graphical equalizer to reduce the overstated bass, for which the Bosies are notorious.

I may replace the gearshift knob. It's not a problem when in Drive, but it blocks some of the screen in Park. Replacement recommendations welcome.

It's very slightly awkward to access the already stupidly clumsy fan speed switch. I can live with that. It also makes turning AC on and off a little more difficult and completely blocks seeing the AC LED indicator. I can live with that, too.

I very very seldom carry pax. If they don't like the askew mounting job, tough. At least they can find music. With the Sony, it was nearly impossible.

I do wish it had the Sony's wireless remote. It was much easier to change volume. Now, it's a touch screen op. Remote good. Knobs good. Touch screen so-so. I can live with that, too, too.

Oh, and a backup camera is included. I didn't get the installer go go beyond connecting it for proof that it works. Some other day, I'll get to it.

So, all in all a successful gamble of time and money. Highly recommended for those still stuck with last-century's units. Or, gawd forbid, a Becker Sound 5.

Last edited:

Vic will approve of my low $ approach, at least until I fabricate a bracket to attach the unit permanently.
When I saw the picture I thought "Cool. Dimensional lumber." But on hand foam block is just as good.

Or not. Depending. :hmmm:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :thumbup:

Paint the foam board if you want to impress those who care.

So, all in all a successful gamble of time and money. Highly recommended for those still stuck with last-century's units. Or, gawd forbid, a Becker Sound 5.
It sounds like a good investment to me FWIW.

Being that Covid-19 has trashed our travel and social life, I have some extra cash on hand. Maybe I'll go for the 100 buck upgrade.

Did I miss the comment, or does it have multiple user cell phone capability? Well, at least 2 phone capability anyway.

Thanks for the review. :thumbup:

:cheers: vic

glasseye

Vic, I’ve yet to implement phone connectivity. Inexplicably, it didn't ship with a mic. Besides, I never phone people and they don’t phone me.

Something to do with the DZ. :hmmm: :laughing:

I will pursue phone use, once I get over the joy of music search and that new electronics smell.

Vic, I’ve yet to implement phone connectivity. Inexplicably, it didn't ship with a mic. ...
I believe the specs indicated that the microphone is built in.

The shift knob pops off easily by just using the bottom ring keeper. A short enough aftermarket shift knob may be available.

vic

glasseye

A two-day, 230 mile road trip later, the $100 Android head unit has had its break-in run.

Verdict: total success. With one caveat.

Navigation is superb with a 10" screen bright enough to read in full sun while wearing polarizing sunglasses.

Music selection and performance: the same. I can find and listen to what I want, when I want it. Sound quality beyond reproach on my Bose headphones.

The one issue I have with the unit is with my zero-effort install. It works perfectly on asphalt, but an hour-long run on washboard logging roads revealed that the install needs work. Washboard is hell in Frito under any circumstances. His suspension seems tuned to maximum discomfort from that common offroad nusicance. On (admittedly nasty) washboard, the whole unit wanted to walk out of the 1 DIN cavity and fall on to the floor. I had to restrain it by hand. Some additional constraints are gonna be necessary if I want to continue my logging road travels.

Otherwise, total delight with my purchase. The SATNAV function enabled discovery of a superb boondocking site, soon to be revealed on the "Who has a better campsite than me?" thread.

... On (admittedly nasty) washboard, the whole unit wanted to walk out of the 1 DIN cavity and fall on to the floor. I had to restrain it by hand. Some additional constraints are gonna be necessary if I want to continue my logging road travels.
Goop Glue. :thumbup:
Not JB Weld or fancier epoxy like Lindenengineering Dennis might suggest. :tongue:

Seriously. I have learned to install supports for things like head units aka radios, vent fan motors, gauge pods, etc. using Goop glue. I position the supports with the glue and let the glue set, or sometimes just glue the parts in directly. The glue sticks to most anything and is quite strong. If it needs to be released it can generally be sliced loose with a razor blade or sharp knife.

vic

glasseye

Goop Glue. :thumbup:
Not JB Weld or fancier epoxy like Lindenengineering Dennis might suggest. :tongue:

Seriously. I have learned to install supports for things like head units aka radios, vent fan motors, gauge pods, etc. using Goop glue. I position the supports with the glue and let the glue set, or sometimes just glue the parts in directly. The glue sticks to most anything and is quite strong. If it needs to be released it can generally be sliced loose with a razor blade or sharp knife.

vic
Thanks, Vic. I must admit, I've not considered adhesives. They seem a one-way street, but if you say that they can be easily cut, I may revise my approach.

Since it wants to walk out into the cab, I'm going to first investigate a spring that will hold it in. There's a good anchor point on the unit, I just need to find another inside the 1DIN cavity.

And a correct length spring... :hmmm:

glasseye

If you install a DIN mount, it should click into it and stay put
Thanks, Al. I have one of those from the (RIP) Sony install. For some reason, the installer didn't have the correct hardware to connect the $100 special with that cage.

Besides, I reeeeeely like having the screen tilted toward the driver. It makes a huge difference in operability and visibility. :rad:

glasseye

Light bungee cord cut to length.

vic
Yah. It might come to that. I've not investigated it closely yet. I just got home from the shakedown cruise.
Thinking about it, though, I see a two-inch spring inside on the RHS. There are threaded holes in the head unit that could accept a hook, all I need is a suitable opposing anchor point inside the cavity.

My first visualization (implemented only when the dreaded washboard appears in the windshield) would be a heavy duty elastic band stretched right across the front of the display, anchored in the dash vents on either side. THAT would be an install truly worthy of the AP philosophy. :rad:

Too bad I live hundreds of miles and a closed international border away from the nearest Harbor Fright.
The nearest "Princess Auto" (HF's CDN equivalent) is in Calgary, six hours, or Vancouver, nine hours away. :idunno:

Hurry up and get one, Vic, so you can solve this for me. :dance: :cheers:

Yah. It might come to that. ...

Hurry up and get one, Vic, so you can solve this for me. :dance: :cheers:
Not likely in the immediate future.

These little bungees work for many things. The cord can be shortened by a simple knot, or by cutting and making another doubled over stop.

HFbungees.jpg

vic

glasseye

Thanks, Vic. I'm a great admirer/user of bungee cords. I do have some tiny ones like that somewhere, although I seem to recall they lose their tension with age. (just like me) I'll dig 'em out and report back.

glasseye

Okay then, bought a pack of tiny bungee cords, but had no success with them. They're not strong enough and it's difficult to find suitably positioned anchor points. :thud:

I just spent most of the day in the shop fabricating a custom bracket to restrain the unit from walking out of the 1DIN slot. After three (!) attempts at the bracket, I was finally thwarted by incorrect screw length. You can only use what you have in stock, and some were too short and some were too long. :idunno:

The radio antenna connection is problematic. Unlike all the other connections which point forwards, towards the engine, the antenna connection emerges from the top of the unit, reducing clearance and requiring some gyrations during insertion into the slot. That, coupled with screw problems, thwarted my day-long labours right at the final insertion point. :censored:

IMG_20200831_153103 1200 px.jpg
I'm hardware store bound early in the AM in search of the precise screws I need. This unit is just too excellent to give up on. :rad:

glasseye

:shhh:

Goop glue.

vic
I looked at it, the three-times-built mount bracket, that is, and I thought, "OK, I could do a Full Vic" and just slather on some epoxy stuff and it'd be all good.

But no.

I visualized having to replace the unit sometime in the future and saw myself hacking out the glue with a utility knife and a hacksaw and cursing my slapdash self. Besides, in this small burg, I don't know where I'd source "goop glue"

I'm thinking of future repairs. I like this unit so much, I might just order another one as a backup. They're down to $97USD now. :idunno:

Top Bottom