Help!! Stuck on roadside in Scotland with Electrical problems.

Hello I finally got my van converted and have moved out. Me and the lady have made it to Galloway Forest and broken down.

I am expecting a recovery on Monday morning to Newton Stuart but I believe we can fix it before then and would love some input from you guys. The more heads the better!

Scenario, Mercedes Sprineter 311 CDI 2001 we took bumpy gravel track for 30 mins then back on the road a while later the main ECU fuse 25amp slot 16 popped. We pulled over not knowing what had happened at first.

We keep popping fuses every time we reach the second click on the ignition. With the ECU plugs at the left side when looking at it detached the fuse does not pop.
IMG_20200808_131840.jpg
I have tested the points either side of the fuse and one of them is continuous with earth. So presuming only live wires enter and leave the fuse box I am supposing that the feed to the ecu has worn somewhere and is earthing.

This is as far as I have got. Any input would be amazing right now. Correct my methods so far/make new suggestions/point me in the direction of an ECU wiring diagram. Anything would be appreciated right now.

Thanks ?

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
If you post up your VIN someone might be able provide the appropriate wiring diagram. There’s also the database section in this forum to peruse.

I’m sure you’ll find a smoking gun if you start digging. Perhaps chaffing right there behind the ecm where the harness goes through the firewall.

hopefully you’re stuck in good spot..

If you post up your VIN someone might be able provide the appropriate wiring diagram. There’s also the database section in this forum to peruse.

I’m sure you’ll find a smoking gun if you start digging. Perhaps chaffing right there behind the ecm where the harness goes through the firewall.

hopefully you’re stuck in good spot..
Thanks for this. Do you know where I would find my Vin? There are a few numbers on the drivers seat... Haven't needed to find it on this vehicle before.IMG_20200808_160730.jpg
Would this one be it?

Ill check out the database now. And yep I've been digging theres a lot of wires and a few rub points in the engine bay. No breaks yet!..

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
That’s it... unfortunately EPC on my C3 is giving me an error, so I can’t download the exact wiring diagram per VIN, but perhaps someone else can/will...

honestly, I’d just replace the the entire harness if you’re finding multiple chafing areas. It’ll take a while your first time, but isn’t overly complicated to do. Just make sure the new harness is matched up to your VIN.

That’s it... unfortunately EPC on my C3 is giving me an error, so I can’t download the exact wiring diagram per VIN, but perhaps someone else can/will...

honestly, I’d just replace the the entire harness if you’re finding multiple chafing areas. It’ll take a while your first time, but isn’t overly complicated to do. Just make sure the new harness is matched up to your VIN.
Sweet at least I know where that is. I would go for a harness replace. But technically homeless atm and moving about in the van for a month. Ideally for now I need to track down the cause and keep on moving. It would be great if someone could find me the exact wiring diagram. It would be a great help.

Going to remove air intake manifold next and have snoop for wire contact under there!

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?
In the interim, you could cut the sheath off of the wiring going to that connector and wrap and wear points of the wiring with electrical tape. The point where the harness bends behind the fuel filter is an important area to check for this chaffing.

T
In the interim, you could cut the sheath off of the wiring going to that connector and wrap and wear points of the wiring with electrical tape. The point where the harness bends behind the fuel filter is an important area to check for this chaffing.
Thanks. Sadly I have no insulation tape and the nearest town is 10miles at least away. There are many points behind the fuel filter. Is there a specific point that is prone? As it all looks ok. From where I can get to to see at any rate.
IMG_20200808_180409.jpg
Thatsinfont
IMG_20200808_180403.jpg
Behind.

Anypointers would be great

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
I guess I would try disconnecting the glow plug module, and see if the fuse stays healthy.
Given the time of year, if it is the module, you may well be able to fire it up without the glow plugs.
Otherwise, I would take a close look at the wiring harness anywhere it comes close to the exhaust system.
Good luck.

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?
T

Thanks. Sadly I have no insulation tape and the nearest town is 10miles at least away. There are many points behind the fuel filter. Is there a specific point that is prone? As it all looks ok. From where I can get to to see at any rate.
View attachment 149235
Thatsinfont
View attachment 149236
Behind.

Anypointers would be great
Sorry, I didn’t notice that it was a 311. It doesn’t look like the wiring harness is run the same as the NAFTA models and that specific wear point doesn’t look to be present on yours. Your best bet is to visually trace the wires starting at the ecu harness and working your way to their terminations, looking for signs of insulation rubbing, hot spots, etc.

Alphacarina

2006 Itasca Navion 23H
I have tested the points either side of the fuse and one of them is continuous with earth.
I think you need to trace that individual wire - That's probably what's blowing your fuse. If you find a convenient place where you can cut that wire (and easily re-splice it, if this doesn't work) I would try cutting it and see if the van runs normally, and/or what doesn't work with the wire snipped. A schematic would be a tremendous help here as you would know what that wire sends power too. Then, as an emergency measure to get you rolling again, you could snip the wire at the far end and splice in a new wire temporarily until you got somewhere you could fix it properly

Don

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Merky,

I posted a link to wiring diagrams on your other post under 'Sprinter Talk' but try unplugging the glow plug module located below the front of the battery and see if that clears your short to ground.

Keith.

Merky,

I posted a link to wiring diagrams on your other post under 'Sprinter Talk' but try unplugging the glow plug module located below the front of the battery and see if that clears your short to ground.

Keith.
Thanks Cheyenne, i have just tried the glow plug module, to no effect. Got another popped ruse. Thanks for the suggestion though. I'll check your link on the other post now. ?

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
The short stops when you unplug the ECU. I would think a short in the ignition lines would cause a different fuse to blow. I'm leaning to a bad ECU. A friend had an ECU that was outputting 12v to the accelerator pedal, burning out the accelerator who was only wanting +5v. So things can go wrong inside the box.
I hope you find a cheaper solution. Just my thoughts.
(Please disregard my name, it has nothing to do with this)

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
That plug is Engine Control Module C1 (Connector 1 of 5) and pin outs are on page 8W - 80 - 32 (pdf page 658) of the file above.

I'll keep digging for more info and update if I find anything.

Keith.

Edit: Try testing which of the none Brown wires has the short to ground and let us know the colour please.

That plug is Engine Control Module C1 (Connector 1 of 5) and pin outs are on page 8W - 80 - 32 (pdf page 658) of the file above.

Keith.

Edit: Try testing which of the none Brown wires has the short to ground and let us know the colour please.
Ok great stuff. I have poor data out here. I will find that section as soon as I can download it.

I have just tested it. The black and red wire is continuous with earth.

Thanks ?

Keith.

My van does have an obd port. So I think it will be the obd wiring.

Top Bottom