Best Tires for 2020 2500 4x4

lickwid

Learner
New to the forums. We're picking up a 2020 144 4x4. We're upfitting it to be a camper van for 2 adults and 2 kids. Mostly going to use it for weekend camping trips and some Tahoe trips. Eventually would like to take it cross country to explore the National Parks and MLB parks. Do people who buy new usually swap out the tires right away, or drive the stock ones until they are worn down? Thank you.

warx

I've still got my stock tires on too - free miles as if I take them off I doubt anyone would buy them. Also thinking I'll try to use as much as possible until they don't work (perhaps this winter). I just have to ignore my friends comments about having skateboard wheels.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
I've still got my stock tires on too - free miles as if I take them off I doubt anyone would buy them. Also thinking I'll try to use as much as possible until they don't work (perhaps this winter). I just have to ignore my friends comments about having skateboard wheels.
?

VanGoSki

LOL!

I'm running stock until I need better.
Me three. It's not like we're short on ground clearance with 18" clearance from body to ground. By staying with the stock size we're getting better gas mileage, more power, accurate speedo with no distronic issues, lower unsprung weight, and no worries about tire rubbing. I think we should start a trend -- tiny tires are cool. :cheers:

lickwid

Learner
The stock tires look so tiny on the 4x4. If my wife comments on it and says they look funny :ROFLMAO:, I think I'll have to swap out wheels and tires for something a bit beefier. I was looking at the Method 703's and possibly 265 or 275/70/17 tires. Do most people get full size spares with steelies or a 5th matching wheel? And what is the max size the Agile sparekit can handle? Thank you.

warx

The stock tires look so tiny on the 4x4. If my wife comments on it and says they look funny :ROFLMAO:, I think I'll have to swap out wheels and tires for something a bit beefier. I was looking at the Method 703's and possibly 265 or 275/70/17 tires. Do most people get full size spares with steelies or a 5th matching wheel? And what is the max size the Agile sparekit can handle? Thank you.
From the Agile instructions it says the factory rack can be stretched to 33". I'm hoping to go this route too.

Jaydavis226

I can’t say this is the best size or my first choice. Since I load dirt bikes 3x times a week for me lower is better and gas mileage is key.
These still look huge, siping is very deep, the compound is soft. Now I’m just praying they handle on the snow.
Sorry, only photos I have at the moment.
Kenda Klever KR628 265/70/17
7E26C7DB-FC2B-4F92-B210-8C2DCC851C70.jpeg7033B4F8-C67D-40ED-87F1-3EA5E6587CE1.jpeg

Last edited:

45Kevin

With 5 matching tires and wheels you do a 5 tire rotation, otherwise the spare never gets worn and in five years you have a perfectly good single tire that may or may not match your new ones.

I am also not sure that a different sized spare would play well with our 4x4 system. I note that the owners manual does not recommend flat towing the truck or towing with just 2 wheels on the ground.

lickwid

Learner
With 5 matching tires and wheels you do a 5 tire rotation, otherwise the spare never gets worn and in five years you have a perfectly good single tire that may or may not match your new ones.

I am also not sure that a different sized spare would play well with our 4x4 system. I note that the owners manual does not recommend flat towing the truck or towing with just 2 wheels on the ground.
Certainly, flat bed towing only for 4WD. I ordered 5 x Method 703 17x7.5 and 5 x Falken Wildpeaks 265/70/17. Hopefully should be installed by the end of the week.

Knit

Winnebago uses 265/70R17 with their custom wheel package on the Revel. But they don’t give you a spare, so I haven’t heard if a spare fits on a 2019.
Revel with upgrade Method wheels come with 245/70R17 to match diameter of MB standard wheels/tires. I added a spare 245/70R17 to my 2020 Revel on a 2019 Sprinter and spare fits fine.

drodio

"Avalanche" • 2022 170" Ext Cargo 4x4
Just picked up a 2020 170” 4x4 and looking for the right tires & wheels. I’ve read through this + other posts but see some conflicting information.

Here’s what I’m after — would love some advice:

1) Mostly highway miles, but Tahoe in the winter. Would like a highway-friendly tire that works well enough in snowy Tahoe Conditions.
2) Off-road typically limited to fire roads, so a more aggressive tire is good, but don’t want a noisy tire on the highway
3) Don’t have too much of a preference on 16” vs. 17”... would probably prefer 17s but open to options
4) Ideally I’d like to *not* have to do any modifications to fenders... although the agile kit doesn’t seem like too much of a mod, so willing to consider it
5) Most importantly, want something that has the right offsets, etc so as not to stress the bearings/system in a way that shortens its life.

Current stock tires are Kumho M+S 245/75/R16.

Someone said in an earlier thread “with 17' wheels many go with a slightly wider/slightly lower profile tire. LT265/70R17 will still fit in the spare tire carrier and won't rub. They are very close to the same height as the OEM size, so the speedo will be approximately correct.“ But then (I think) I saw someone else mention that that size did rub w/o the agile modification, so unsure which is correct?

Also: Can the stock wheel TPMS sensors be moved over to the new wheels, or do new ones have to be purchased? I saw Agile sells them.

Lastly: I’ll likely have 5 new stock rims & wheels to sell... I’ll likely put them on CL / eBay but LMK if anyone has advice on where best to sell them.

Thanks for any advice!!!

drodio

"Avalanche" • 2022 170" Ext Cargo 4x4
For tires, I’m thinking these Michelin Agilis Crossclimate are probably the best all-around tire for what I’m looking for. E load rating, severe snow rated, still highway friendly.

Or, for something a bit more off-road/snow friendly maybe these Dueler A/T Revos, if they’re not too noisy on the road.

I’d probably put either set on the Arsenal wheels. At least... that’s what I’m thinking without really knowing what I’m doing here, so please tell me if this is a bad approach that doesn’t meet my stated goals above!

Last edited:

lickwid

Learner
Wife commented on the wimpy tires that came on our 4x4. Got the new Method 703's on Falken Wildpeaks in 265/70/R17. Was hoping it wouldn't rub, but there is a slight rub on tight turns. I'll be picking up the Agile No Rub Kit.
20200829_151942.jpg
20200829_151919.jpg

Last edited:

Vailcomp

I also have the same Coopers on my 2019 4x4 and hate them. They’ve been balanced by two different shops a total of 4 times in under 4000 miles. Each time the balance is way off and requires a lot of weight retooling. The last (and second) road force balance has been the best, but it’s not perfect. Could get warranty replacement.
Not a fan of BFG anymore due to poor wear characteristics.
I can’t confirm on a sprinter, but I’ve had great luck with Toyo AT2 on a couple one ton diesel trucks.
I also have the Toyo AT2 on my 2016 4x4 so far 28,000 miles no problem , quite. I have 265/70/17 , I want to go to a larger tire 275/70/17, The Toyo chart doesn’t show the AT2 with the 275. I also have the AT2 on my f150 (285/70/17) been happy

Top Bottom