Dash lights go out when engine starts

tbuyan

'04 3500 140" low roof cargo w/dually delete
My pal's '06 2500 exhibits this "feature": The instrument panel illumination lights and all the idiot lights come on when the ignition switch is turn on, as expected. After the engine starts they all go out. No instrument illumination, which is a problem when driving at night of course. The +/- switch has no effect. The van has DRLs and fog lights, which work correctly.

DRTDEVL

Check your license plate light circuit. If they don't work, the van will turn off the lighting in the gauge cluster to warn you.

tbuyan

The license plate lights work until the engine is started. Just like the dash lights.

It sounds like something may be wonky with the DRL circuit. Do the dash lamps and license plate lamps illuminate when the stalk twist switch is rotated to headlights on?

vic

tbuyan

It sounds like something may be wonky with the DRL circuit. Do the dash lamps and license plate lamps illuminate when the stalk twist switch is rotated to headlights on?

vic
Yes, but they go out when the engine starts.

sipma02

Currently full time in the van
Also had this issue. The wire to the license plate was shorting out and blowing the fuse, which feeds the license plate lights and the dash lights.

Last edited:

jrod5150

If you want a quick fix pull the drl relay out that will restore the cluster back lights when you manually turn the lights on with the stalk switch.

If you want a quick fix pull the drl relay out that will restore the cluster back lights when you manually turn the lights on with the stalk switch.
Which DRL relay?

8W-11-3 shows at least 5 possible relays.

5th pic post #1 here.

DRL relay under the D+ position? Added: Yes. Confirmed below.

vic

Last edited:

jrod5150

Which DRL relay?

8W-11-3 shows at least 5 possible relays.

5th pic post #1 here.

DRL relay under the D+ position?

vic
I’ve only had to deal with this issue once about 8 months ago. Can’t remember which one. I’d have to look at the relay block diagram in my alldata. I’m on the west coast so still home sipping coffee. I want to say it’s the one closest to the accelerator pedal. The corner one Or the one next to it going towards the drivers door

... I want to say it’s the one closest to the accelerator pedal. The corner one Or the one next to it going towards the drivers door
This is the T1N section. Are you crossing over to the NCV3's?

A basic relay diagram is included in the link I provided above.
vic

Thanks for the confirmation.

As a reminder.
When dealing with the fuses and the relays under the seat it is required that you use the fuse map mounted on the plastic cover. There are few standard positions. Many... most positions will vary with the options selected for the build.

The position changes are discussed in the link that I provided above.

vic

jrod5150

Yes I completely agree with you. I dont trust any of the relay or fuse diagrams that are printed in alldata or even on the cover. All I remember is pulling the DRL relay restored the cluster lighting when the switch stalk was turned on and of course you lose DRL. The relay position I originally mentioned was from memory. OP should try pulling relays and see what happens.

tbuyan

OP should try pulling relays and see what happens.
Will do, thx. If it works it would be a double win because the owner would dearly love to delete the DRLs. Unfortunately he and his Sprinter headed home this morning and I won't see it again for a month or more. And I cannot recommend that he tries any of this on his own. That said, you can be assured I'll report back when I get another chance at it.

jrod5150

Prepping a 2004 for a committed buyer, drove her home last night. No dash lights when started. Will report the fix here

jrod5150

So this unit had me flash back to picking up a unit earlier this year that had the same issue that I resolved while on the road. I’m happy to report the unit for today is fixed and I found the problem. Fuse #1 in the under seat fuse box labeled “drl” was blown. Replaced it and cluster lighting now stays on after starting. Hope this helps

tbuyan

Thx for the follow up. May I assume the DRLs were not working before you replaced the fuse?

jrod5150

Thx for the follow up. May I assume the DRLs were not working before you replaced the fuse?
I’d say yes they were working because I would have noticed it when I drove home the night before. All I noticed was the cluster lights not working regardless of the headlight stalk switch position.

Top Bottom