t1n Review my suspension upgrades

bored

Hey guys want to make sure I am not missing something.

Van Compass Scout 2" Lift System

Roadmaster 1 1/8" Rear Sway Bar

Not sure what shocks...koni, bilstein or fox or combo...

What do you guys use and am I missing anything that will make a huge difference.

Shiryas

I have a very similar setup on my 2003 T1N.

Front
- Van Compass Lift
- Koni struts (rebound to max)
- Spring rubber perch's replaced, OEM
- Sumo Spring bump stop replacement

Rear
- Van Compass Lift
- Bilstein HD Shocks
- Roadmaster Sway Bar

I am very happy with the way the van drives and handles. We have had very gusty winds here in Colorado this past month and the van is much more stable on the freeway and just driving around. It rocks a lot more than it used to when driving off road with ruts or crossing water bars at an angle. This is to be expected with the rear sway bar, the action re-action effect is noticeable. Everything is a trade off. What is good for one application is usually a loss of comfort in another.

Cheers, Chris

bored

Thanks. I was starting to think that everyone simply uses OEM. I am mostly concerned with wind first and ride quality second.

I don't plan on any off-roading but I do imagine I will end up on dirt roads.

Which Fox Shocks....Lots to choose from.

bored

I have a very similar setup on my 2003 T1N.

Front
- Van Compass Lift
- Koni struts (rebound to max)
- Spring rubber perch's replaced, OEM
- Sumo Spring bump stop replacement

Rear
- Van Compass Lift
- Bilstein HD Shocks
- Roadmaster Sway Bar
Cheers, Chris
Any reason you did not put rear sumo spring bump?

Last edited:

Shiryas

Any reason you did not put rear sumo spring bump?
My van is a pretty light build and as @Midwestdrifter said the weight/mass on the front suspension is pretty much set with the engine and transmission. Even with my light'ish van, the front suspension seemed very soft to me before the new Koni's and even after them the front spring rate is just too soft. I am not expecting AMG cornering and handling but it seems to blow through the entire travel very easily on minor hits.

- Van Compass now install Sumo's with most of their lifts including the rear so I was thinking about them.
- A set of front Sumo's SSF-401-54 were an open box item on Amzn so the price was right to give them a try.
- As stated above I think the front is under-sprung and felt this would add more of a 'progressive' spring rate if the Sumo rubber durometer is greater than the OEM bump stop.

After I installed every thing the front spring was about 4-5cm from the bottom of the bump stop so the composite spring will travel this distance prior to engaging with the Sumo. My hope was that this travel distance would suck up all the little cracks and small bumps in the road, then on the bigger bumps and hits the Sumo would increase the spring rate to help give the Koni a chance to dampen. Jury is still out on this, I "think" they have helped but that could be in my head trying to justify the mod.

One thing to remember is I replaced the upper spring rubber 'bushings'. The old ones I took out were about half the thickness of the new ones, so as these compress and break down that 4-5cm air gap stated above will decrease as the suspension sags back down. Its possible the OEM bump stop was also as trashed as the upper bushings the stops appeared in good shape but that is not a definitive method of testing.

The rear is just too stiff for me currently (2500 Cargo) so I will not be adding Sumo's since for me they are not needed along with the $$$. I still have some things to add for my build and then a full van stock up with gear, food, etc, then it will get weighed and things may get changed from there.

Fox remote reservoirs are great shocks and probably a massive step up from my Koni's and Bilstein's. I will be saving my shekles for my KTM 990, I want a kick ass suspension rebuild on that more than I do the van, priorities. . .

Cheers, CD

bored

Hey thanks for the thorough response. I will let you know what I choose and how it all feels.

Thanks again.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
There are lots of different things which can affect how the van handles, especially in windy conditions. Various upgrades may address different issues.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?threads/39282/page-6#post-665838

Here are some other items to consider:

Roadmaster Active Suspension (not the same as the heavier anti-roll bar). https://activesuspension.com/

Airtabs. Helps with lighter winds. https://www.airtab.com/

Different wheels (larger, wider, less offset)

Different tires (stiffer sidewalls so less tire squirm; Michelin XPS Ribs have a steel casing and many folks like the improved handling; these are highway tires)

Steering. Steer Safe and Safety Plus dampen the steering so less twitchy.

Added:

Some folks have changed out the rear leaf spring for a multi-leaf spring and found improved handling in winds.

Although not used in USA market, VB Suspension Coil Springs added to front struts are marketed to improve stability in windy conditions.

Free change includes weight distribution. Lower center of gravity (no rooftop air conditioner) and weight pushed forward (no motorcycle or cargo box on hitch).

Added: Also, tire air pressure is an important variable. Some folks feel they get better handling with higher air pressures.

Please post whatever you do and find. Thanks.

Last edited:

bored

Finally getting the suspension portion of the vehicle.

I decided on Roadmaster Active Suspension and of course as stated I went with the VanCompass 2" Lift and it FINALLY came in after 10 weeks.

I reached out to them but haven't heard back but I am not sure which I should install first. I believe it likely should be the 2" lift kit but since the Active Suspension will not function properly if installed incorrectly I would like to get some info.

For those of you with such an upgrade. Which did you install first or does it even matter?

Last edited:

SprinterLex

2006 T1N 3500 Long & Tall
In Canada I have just gone to the garbage dump before. I told them I didn't know where else to go and if they can let me know my weight so I can set my tire pressure correctly.

I have also done this on random commercial scales I have seen while driving. There good because the scale shows the weight to the driver while I don't think all the garbage dumps do... Can't remember if the dump shows the driver, my gut feeling says no.

Hope that helps someone

Top Bottom