2020 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter gets a second turbodiesel option ?

samwich

Future owner?
Sounds like it isn't the same OM651 engine that we had in the NCV3.
2.0L 161 hp (120 kw) and 266 lb-ft (361 Nm)
I think it's the newer OM654, which claims to be 13% more efficient than the OM651. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_OM654_engine

Maybe soon we will see the V-6 OM642 replaced with the inline-6 OM656.
Or maybe Mercedes will make my dream come true with the M256 (inline-6, 3.0L, gasoline).

This article has some pricing. I think it's $3000? https://www.motor1.com/news/431350/mercedes-sprinter-new-diesel-engine/

Last edited:

126v8

Sounds like it isn't the same OM651 engine that we had in the NCV3.
2.0L 161 hp (120 kw) and 266 lb-ft (361 Nm)
I think it's the newer OM654, which claims to be 13% more efficient than the OM651. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_OM654_engine

Maybe soon we will see the V-6 OM642 replaced with the inline-6 OM656.
Or maybe Mercedes will make my dream come true with the M256 (inline-6, 3.0L, gasoline).

This article has some pricing. I think it's $3000? https://www.motor1.com/news/431350/mercedes-sprinter-new-diesel-engine/
I would love that gas engine too

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
Here is link to the MBUSA announcement of this new 4-cylinder diesel. Says availability in late 2020, so likely a 2021 MY change.

The power and torque vales quoted in that Yahoo article (190 hp and 324 lb-ft of torque) don't match the MBUSA press release. It has values of 161 hp and 266 lb-ft of torque, which is the same values as the old OM651 introduced in the USA in 2015 as shown in attached image. I wouldn't put it past MBUSA to just give us the old OM651 engine again as they keep giving us the tired old OM642 V-6 diesel.

We will have to wait for more details to be sure what engine they are offering.
Capture.JPG

Boxster1971

This article from MotorTrend implies this will be the older OM651 4-cylinder diesel. Confusion abounds in the automotive media until Mercedes-Benz Vans clarifies what engine they plan to put in the Sprinter.

Boxster1971

Found a Daimler Media article that mentions the OM654 under the Vito topic:
”In comparison to the previous generation, the OM 654 engine family reduces emissions and consumption figures whilst also optimising noise and vibration comfort. In line with the sales release in March 2019, the power units already familiar from the Mercedes-Benz passenger car range will see their first ever usage in a commercial vehicle at Mercedes-Benz Vans.”

Source: https://www.daimler.com/products/vans/commercial.html

If this new OM654 does show up in the USA Sprinters this year it will be the first time it is used in a Sprinter application that I’m aware of. I’ve seen several Daimler releases that implied the new OM654 would be used across the entire line of MercedesBenz Vans.

Boxster1971

This is where I first saw this news: https://www.autoblog.com/amp/2020/0...tw66-Gvgu5FieS2JXQkGOjnF-rs-NScxqKeJVku3EhncQ

I'm excited by this because I love my 2016 2.1L 4 cylinder with the 7 speed DSG and have been sorry that others would not be able to obtain the same package. It's too bad that it's only available in the cargo version, but it you are looking to do your own converstion or have an outfitter like Sportsmobile do it, this is a sweet package.
Thanks for the Autoblog link. It has some of the same confusing information.
Subtitle says: “The 2.0-liter offers 324 pound-feet of torque”
Text in article says: “266 pound-feet of torque”

Boxster1971

Just sent an email to MBUSA asking if this would be the new OM654 diesel. Should have an answer in a few days.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Thanks for the Autoblog link. It has some of the same confusing information.
Subtitle says: “The 2.0-liter offers 324 pound-feet of torque”
Text in article says: “266 pound-feet of torque”
Depend on whether the 'emissions defeat' is on or off..... :whistle:

Boxster1971

I got a non-answer to my question to Mercedes-Benz USA asking if the new 4-cylinder diesel will be the OM654:

Subject
This week MBUSA made an announcement that a new 4-cylinder diesel will again be...
Response By Email (Lakoya R.) (07/02/2020 01:53 PM)
Dear Mike,

Thank you for your email to Mercedes-Benz USA.

While we appreciate your interest in our Sprinter vehicles, Mercedes-Benz USA has not yet provided launch or detailed vehicle information for the 2021 Sprinter.

We recommend staying in contact with the sales team at your local Mercedes-Benz dealership for updates.

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate the opportunity to respond.

Kind Regards,

Lakoya R.
Mercedes-Benz USA
(800) 367-6372

Customer By CSS Web (mike Mike) (07/01/2020 05:22 PM)
This week MBUSA made an announcement that a new 4-cylinder diesel will again be offered on Sprinters later this year. Here is a link to the MBUSA new release. https://media.mbusa.com/releases/me...inder-diesel-cargo-sprinter-for-the-us-market
Will this be the new OM654 diesel?
Question Reference # 200701-000092
  • Date Created: 07/01/2020 05:22 PM
  • Date Last Updated: 07/02/2020 01:53 PM

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
That's exciting. The drivability, economy, ease of service and the overall track record of the OM651 is what brought me to the Sprinter line up. If it's the OM654, that's fine too. Now they just need to couple the 4 cylinder diesel with a modern AWD system.

Boxster1971

I checked the NHTSA Manufacturer's Information Database (MID) Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Coding entry from Daimler Vans USA LLC on the 2020 Sprinters. It was submitted to NHTSA in October 2019. The Sprinter VIN Position 4-5 designate the Model Type, Engine Type, Brake System and Model. It indicates the 4-cylinder diesel will be the OM651 2.2L Diesel. Copy of the 2020 Sprinter VIN Decoder document that Daimler Vans USA LLC filed with NHTSA as required by USA regulations is attached for your info.

Since there has been no recent word from Daimler that they have moved to the OM654 for Sprinters in Europe I doubt it will show up in USA. The engineering is already complete for the OM651 in Sprinters world-wide. Now all Daimler has to do is get the OM651 emissions certified by EPA and CARB.

Attachments

HarryN

Now all Daimler has to do is get the OM651 emissions certified by EPA and CARB.
Get a diesel engine past CARB with Gov Newsom trying to president someday and Mary Nichols in charge of CARB?

The only way that engine will ever get approved for use in CA is if the federal EPA strips CA of its special privileges, or MB does some kind of kowtow with CARB.

Boxster1971

Get a diesel engine past CARB with Gov Newsom trying to president someday and Mary Nichols in charge of CARB?

The only way that engine will ever get approved for use in CA is if the federal EPA strips CA of its special privileges, or MB does some kind of kowtow with CARB.
Mercedes-Benz hasn't exactly had it easy in Europe meeting their emissions standards. The OM651 in Sprinters was apparently the biggest recall problem.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Mercedes-Benz hasn't exactly had it easy in Europe meeting their emissions standards. The OM651 in Sprinters was apparently the biggest recall problem.
If would help if Bluetec were replaced by an emissions system with competent engineering. It is unlikely that spending the money to accomplish this will ever make business sense, however.

HarryN

If would help if Bluetec were replaced by an emissions system with competent engineering. It is unlikely that spending the money to accomplish this will ever make business sense, however.
It might have at one time. The R/D money that could have gone into such a system has been siphoned away battlling legal challenges over very minor emission differentials and forced investment into EVs.

I wouldn't be surprised if this option is only offered to fleet operations that are focused on longer haul. They have the most to gain from the reduced fuel cost and might be willing to train their drivers to operate them in a specific way.

Top Bottom