2008 Sprinter using oil and no power

lindenengineering

Dave
A few comments.
I have suffered with "Car Runabout Virus " ever since I was eight years old working in my dad's' shop after school .
Yes Man Can Fix It with the caveat "With "Hims" that has the knowledge and the experience !!"
Really it's what makes me get out of bed in the morning.
Every day a new challenge to fix something that has got screwed up & MB's that like to be fixed with a modicum of precision and care .
Now in my mid 70's, the fun and working with young American techs who have an excess of energy and enthusiasm to go fixin' something new is life's elixir.
Especially when I have seen that gone "bang"!
Seen wires turned into smoke and "worn" someone's special oil home after it has blown out of the breather having been overfilled.
Life's challenges , now enjoy the effort you put into the van.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Now you too have been re-infected with the Carfixin virus:devilish:
All the best
Dennis

Dave
A few comments.
I have suffered with "Car Runabout Virus " ever since I was eight years old working in my dad's' shop after school .
Yes Man Can Fix It with the caveat "With "Hims" that has the knowledge and the experience !!"
Really it's what makes me get out of bed in the morning.

Every day a new challenge to fix something that has got screwed up & MB's that like to be fixed with a modicum of precision and care .
Now in my mid 70's, the fun and working with young American techs who have an excess of energy and enthusiasm to go fixin' something new is life's elixir.
Especially when I have seen that gone "bang"!
Seen wires turned into smoke and "worn" someone's special oil home after it has blown out of the breather having been overfilled.
Life's challenges , now enjoy the effort you put into the van.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Now you too have been re-infected with the Carfixin virus:devilish:
All the best
Dennis
Dennis, my mental state and OCD is a blessing and a curse.
This morning I woke to install grill and bumper and few other things.
Remembered this rusty grill surround
Said no way in hell can i allow this to go back on

Attachments

Yes!
But just make sure it stays within the misses' budget allowance!
Dennis
I stopped keeping track at $4000 ??
At this point it doesn’t matter, get it done
But I feel like I’ve spent about what I would have spent on a used engine that had 250k+, and had god knows what wrong with it.
All that I saw for sale needed every seal on the motor anyway ??‍♂
How much carbon inside?
I think at $5000 I did better

220817a

Independent & Self Reliant - From Chattanooga TN
Also, I’d like to say, I’ve met some great people in here.
Forums can be tricky, if you’ve ever been in a few you know what I mean.
If spoken with Dennis and he’s awesome.
I could talk hours woth
And Dima74 has been unreal.
In a strange sort of luck he reached out to me with some software help way back when I began this journey, back in Feb.
We messaged a few times and then spoke on the phone.
Turns out in a strange turn of events, he’s drives almost daily 20 min north of my house. Imagine that. The luck and coincidence.
He has met me once before and then came to my house today to help with Xentry.
He’s as good as they come guys and very knowledgeable.
If he gives advice I’d say take it. Very kind man. And a man of his word.
With older more simple vehicles forums aren’t as big. Not for me anyway.
But the more complicated they become like Mercedes, these forums almost become a necessity!!!!
Many heads coming together to defeat a corporate giant and their monopolous ways.
I’ve learned a lot through this.
I’ve built many engines, was a technician my whole life and I know you can always learn more.
I learned a lot on this job.
It has tested my mental stability
Tested my marriage ???
I’m happy to share what I learned if anyone needs help
First advice, probably don’t paint the things I painted.
Looks good on the stand
In van, meh, barely see it.
I enjoyed it but it’s a waste of time honestly.
Thanks for the kind words Dave, but I didn't really do anything... You did everything and should be proud of it. I'm impressed and inspired at the same time by your ability to take care of your own Sprinter problems, something that I encourage and support. Like I told you before, if you can take apart an engine and put it together, all other things such Xentry, Kess or modifications, will be a piece of cake for you to learn.

Just a little update.
The engine has now been 2200 miles so far.
Everything seems to be good
I had to go back in order a Provent 200. I bought the small Mishimoto catch can, it’s about the size of a coffee cup. It’s not separating the oil vapor as it should.
Plan to try to get that installed this week.
Just for those that are not aware and searching for information, the size of the catch can is sold by engine output.
So all sizes do not work on all engines.

so what are the opinions here on the catch can and venting location?
I originally had it vented to atmosphere. But I didn’t like the smell.
I bought a catch can that was too small and the exhaust tube would spit oil
So I purchased provent 200.
The way I have it currently is, instead of venting the exhaust side to atmosphere, I’ve got the tube fitted way down stream in the intake path so the smell would get sucked up in to engine before air filter.
But I don’t know a whole lot about Diesel engines, is it needed to have vacuum pulling on the crankcase?
The original location directly in front of turbo I image the PCV hose saw tremendous vacuum
And this sucked oil also which is what I want to prevent.

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
so what are the opinions here on the catch can and venting location?
I originally had it vented to atmosphere. But I didn’t like the smell.
I bought a catch can that was too small and the exhaust tube would spit oil
So I purchased provent 200.
The way I have it currently is, instead of venting the exhaust side to atmosphere, I’ve got the tube fitted way down stream in the intake path so the smell would get sucked up in to engine before air filter.
But I don’t know a whole lot about Diesel engines, is it needed to have vacuum pulling on the crankcase?
The original location directly in front of turbo I image the PCV hose saw tremendous vacuum
It sounds like you are fighting the last war.
Now that your engine is sound, it would run well for a long, long time in stock configuration.
Oil consumption is not a big issue for these engines if they are well maintained.
A catch can in not a bad idea, depending. But plumbing back into where the original PCV went would work just fine.

manwithgun

Unknown member
Something to understand is that the vacuum from the turbo inlet is what actually CLOSES the oem PCV. On the non-Blutec (2007-2009) with black circular PCV, the diaphragm is held open with a spring and will get sucked closed when the vacuum from the intake is greater than the crankcase pressure and vise versa. By venting completely to atmosphere, you are guaranteeing that the PCV will always remain open. This may or may not cause more than normal oil to be expelled through the valve since the actual oil separation is supposed to be handled by a different internal component (the oil separator, which is less than perfect).

If you have faith in the Provent doing its job, it may be best to plumb it back into the factory inlet port. It would at least be an interesting experiment to run 1000 miles with vacuum (stock) vs. atmosphere and compare quantity of collected oil. Keep in mind that any vacuum leaks in system, including a torn diaphragm, will affect PCV function.

Something to understand is that the vacuum from the turbo inlet is what actually CLOSES the oem PCV. On the non-Blutec (2007-2009) with black circular PCV, the diaphragm is held open with a spring and will get sucked closed when the vacuum from the intake is greater than the crankcase pressure and vise versa. By venting completely to atmosphere, you are guaranteeing that the PCV will always remain open. This may or may not cause more than normal oil to be expelled through the valve since the actual oil separation is supposed to be handled by a different internal component (the oil separator, which is less than perfect).

If you have faith in the Provent doing its job, it may be best to plumb it back into the factory inlet port. It would at least be an interesting experiment to run 1000 miles with vacuum (stock) vs. atmosphere and compare quantity of collected oil. Keep in mind that any vacuum leaks in system, including a torn diaphragm, will affect PCV function.
didnt think of that about the diaphram
So right now, it’s 1” hose from PCV heater to provent 200
Then 1” hose from provent to the elbow coming from grill to filter
Just to have fumes going in to engine to control smell.
I just really wanted to avoid any oil mist going back in to this engine
I guess if I knew for sure the hose coming from provent was dry then I have no problem putting it back to I take where factory had it.

manwithgun

Unknown member
Look up “ elephant hose mod” in the Jeep forums. During the Chrysler Mercedes partnership, this OM642 V6 was planted into Jeep Cherokees and such. The Jeep customers were much more experimental than the Mercedes crowd and a lot of their experiences are shared on their forums.

Last edited:

Top Bottom