2003 EGR delete?

manu01

I was considering doing an EGR delete in my 2003 dodge sprinter 2.7 but couldn't find anything the only thing was the GDE tune but I called them and they said that the don't offer it for the USA market anymore any idea where I can get a similar tune or you the delete kit?

marklg

GDE basically got shut down by California and fined heavily.

Utah is also cracking down:

So, I wouldn't do it in either of those states. I expect many states are not as strict, but it is not legal to do in the US anywhere. I'm not sure if you drive through those states and let out black smoke if they will stop you and check. That seems like a long shot.

Regards,

Mark

220817a

Independent & Self Reliant - From Chattanooga TN
I'm located in Florida
Any chance of you traveling up 75 through Chattanooga with your van?... I can do it for you for free. It takes about 15 minutes to do it, but I'm located in Chattanooga TN.

manu01

Any chance of you traveling up 75 through Chattanooga with your van?... I can do it for you for free. It takes about 15 minutes to do it, but I'm located in Chattanooga TN.
That won't be possible my van only goes up to like 30mph but my suspicion is that I have a bad egr, because my engine is fully rebuilded with new turbo no and I have no code but when is start the van I took of the cover for the egr and I dont see any movement in the egr and I cleaned it before I assembled it, also when I accelerate the even if is not in gear it accelerate a lot slower that my brothers that has a 2006 but it does get to the 4k rpm

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
Is the EGR stuck open or closed?
It’s likely that you damaged the valve controller if you opened it. A new one is a few hundred dollars...

-dave

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?
If the EGR is always closed it’s possible that an aftermarket tune was done to your van before you had it. When you the engine was rebuilt, were the injectors new, used, remanufactured? Were they programmed to the ECU? Do you have a sprinter specific scanner that you can read live data with? There’s something going on here that’s probably not related to the EGR valve.

manu01

I just check in the battery fuses today and one of them was bad that was the reason my alternator was not working now the egr is working so now I'm confused i got a vode now p2312 and p2311 going to look into that

manu01

If the EGR is always closed it’s possible that an aftermarket tune was done to your van before you had it. When you the engine was rebuilt, were the injectors new, used, remanufactured? Were they programmed to the ECU? Do you have a sprinter specific scanner that you can read live data with? There’s something going on here that’s probably not related to the EGR valve.
I know the guy who had it before i got it though it was an injector issue but I saw right away that I had to much blow so I was sure the engine was bad ended up had a cracked piston, by what they said and was i was able to see the first injector was replaced dont think it was programed

manu01

If I have to program the injectors in the 2003 sprinter that was something I didnt do when the engine was rebuilded

Axiom

Mike from Florida Van Man
I know the guy who had it before i got it though it was an injector issue but I saw right away that I had to much blow so I was sure the engine was bad ended up had a cracked piston, by what they said and was i was able to see the first injector was replaced dont think it was programed
Cracked piston was probably from a bad injector they sat on for too long. Coding won't cause that, an injector so bad that it just dumps fuel in would cause that.

EGR can stay stuck at 6% when air mass adaptations are not right or a tune already exists on the ECU. If you know someone with a DAS, ask them to perform an "intake adaptives reset". It may take 1-2 days of driving to see the EGR valve begin to function again (in our experience doing this on a 2005 Freightliner)

manu01

Cracked piston was probably from a bad injector they sat on for too long. Coding won't cause that, an injector so bad that it just dumps fuel in would cause that.

EGR can stay stuck at 6% when air mass adaptations are not right or a tune already exists on the ECU. If you know someone with a DAS, ask them to perform an "intake adaptives reset". It may take 1-2 days of driving to see the EGR valve begin to function again (in our experience doing this on a 2005 Freightliner)
The injector when I disassembled the engine the one on the cracked piston it looked brand new

Axiom

Mike from Florida Van Man
The injector when I disassembled the engine the one on the cracked piston it looked brand new
Looks are deceiving...

These arent old 20psi injectors like you'll find on older diesels. These injectors are insanely precise, and require REAL PROPER BOSCH TOOLING to rebuild proper. Chances are, the injector that melted down was just cleaned really well and had its nozzle replaced. If the proper care is not taken when replacing the cap and tiny piezo actuator, then injector melt down can happen.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
No it doesn't.
So the service documentation, and the factory level scanners are all wrong? Have you reviewed the injection class tolerance range? Its plus or minus 15%. That can make a significant difference in operation.

So in conclusion. You believe it isn't required. And I am sure the engine will run. But smooth idle and good fuel economy matter to most people.

Top Bottom