Was there all along but...

imstilllarry

This is crazy but in my 2014 UMB I had a panel above the pantry that I looked at for over 5 years and wondered what was behind it. In the closet there is a little cover that has a label about satellite wiring. I finally opened this up by pounding the panel into the hole pushing out the staples securing the panel to the back of the trim. Inside was a huge opening with a few loose wires. I coiled the wires and pushed to the back. Cut a few pieces of 1/4 inch plywood and pushed them in for a back, floor, and right side. Used the panel for a door, added a handle and 1/2 inch piece of plywood that exactly fits the hole. And with very little effort and a $4 handle, a really nice cabinet above the panty that is very accessible. I can not believe I left this space go to waste for all these years.

IMG_5766.jpeg
IMG_5765.jpeg
IMG_5767.jpeg

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
I too have always wondered what was behind that square panel. When I was working with Gamma1966 on his installation of a Multiplus 3000w Inverter he showed me this discovery. I am planning to open this up as well. How did you secure your door? Hinges, magnets? I was thinking maybe a stretchy mesh for my opening. Nice little usable space!

Last edited:

aarpskier

2017 LTV Unity FX
At some point there was an LTV re-design. On our 2017 UFX, the pantry goes up much higher, and the 8' x 10" or so space above it is a finished cabinet with a door and handle.

imstilllarry

How did you secure your door? Hinges, magnets?
I cut 1/2" plywood to fit perfectly into the hole. By sanding it and putting a little bit of angle to make it a wedge. Now when I push it into the hole no latch or holds of any kind are required.

As many things that I have improved on this coach I'm amazed that this one took me so long.

blue

2011 LTV Unity CB
Our 2011 Unity CB came with a finished cupboard above the pantry, so LTV must have eliminated it for later models. We use it to store plastic wrap, aluminum foil, waxed paper, paper towel, etc. Being high, small, and deep, it has limited used. Perhaps a wine rack?

imstilllarry

Seriously it just jams into the hole and is quite secure without magnets or latches. Not perfect because the panel was a little torn up by the staples but no one is going to notice but me.

IMG_5769.jpeg

IMG_5770.jpeg
IMG_5771.jpeg

Seriously it just jams into the hole and is quite secure without magnets or latches. Not perfect because the panel was a little torn up by the staples but no one is going to notice but me.

View attachment 142009

View attachment 142010
View attachment 142011
Not to be a wet blanket...
But as you ramble down the highway has it ever popped loose? That may damage something as it finds its way to lower places. A couple magnet units might help to prevent that.

I appreciate the fun of discovering storage space in an RV that can be leveraged. I've found a couple places in the Jayco 23b trailer that provided more storage. Some of it is "secret". Well... not completely, but it gives us some places to stow stuff where it might not be discovered.

vic

Last edited:

bobtuba

2020 LTV Unity MB
In the 2020, the pantry door goes all the way up to within a couple of inches of the ceiling. I’m guessing that it therefore has one more rack inside than the previous models? Or did it just get shifted up, as there is about 16” of black metal screen below the pantry...

Scarecrow

2017 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
It's amazing, to me, that Leisure did not convert this to a storage cabinet. They just blocked it off? What were they thinking?

SSTraveler

I took my panel off today and here is what you find. It looks like those are the wires for the satellite pre-wire, three coax cables and two wire pairs. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the space yet but for now I'll just push the wires back against the wall with the face plate panel and use it to store my Camco Refrigerator/overhead compartment spring bars.

20200604_164651.jpg

Last edited:

imstilllarry

Looks exactly like mine. Cut the panels one at a time so you can measure after each is installed, starting with the back. You can see on mine I only secured with 3 screws, panels were cut to wedge in. We are packing now and it really makes a great space for panty overflow items.

imstilllarry

Not to be a wet blanket...
But as you ramble down the highway has it ever popped loose?
Dammit was just about over LaVita Pass north of Toas NM and it popped out with a Big Bang on the floor. I’ll wedge a piece of rubber for now but I’ve got to make some kind of secure closer. Geez

SSTraveler

I'm loving my new cubby, I'm just leaving it open and then I can just throw all kinds of stuff in it when we are parked so I don't have clutter on the tv cabinet top.

Top Bottom