Any Class C models with a higher GCWR or tow capacity

klausman

Are there any class c units, past or present, that have more than 5k as a tow capacity? Or have a higher GCWR than just over 15k? I'd be looking at towing 5500-6000, so not much more.

pfflyer

I assume you don’t want to step up to a Super C.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
My Truck Camper loaded on my dually F350 comes close to ClassC setup.
22,000 lb towing.

JUSTAGUY

St Cloud, WI
I have a Super C, but would have a hard time buying or recommending a Jayco product. Think Ranegade or Dynamax

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
There aren't any Mercedes Sprinter chassied Class Cs that would meet your criteria. A Super C would surely meet your criteria. Newmar now makes a Super C, https://www.newmarcorp.com/super-c-motor-coaches/supreme-aire/. Dynamax is very nice as well, Freightliner® M2 106 Chassis (33,000-lbs. GVWR/54,000-lbs. GCWR), Cummins® 8.9L ISL Turbo Diesel Engine (350hp/1,000 lb.-ft. of Torque), Allison® 3200 TRV Six-Speed Automatic Transmission, 100-Gallon Fuel Capacity (Twin 50-Gallon Aluminum Fuel Tanks), and Trailer Hitch (20,000 Tow lbs./2,000 Tongue lbs.) with 7-Way Round Tow Connection. The Dynamax Isata 5 is on Ram 5500 chassis, https://dynamaxcorp.com/class-c-motorhomes/isata-5 offers a GVWR of 19,500lbs and a 10,000lb hitch. Their Isata 4 is on a Ford 450 chassis, https://dynamaxcorp.com/class-c-motorhomes/isata-4, offers a 14,500lb GVWR and 7,500lb hitch. You might want to look at RVs by manufacturers who build Ford E-450 (gas) or Ram 5500 (diesel) chassied motorhomes, they will meet your criteria.

Last edited:

klausman

Thanks for the replies, I just wanted to see if I had missed something in all my research, but looks like I didn't. Super Cs are an option.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
I read all info on Sprinters structure I can get and we have paralel topic, where I applied some pictures.
Sprinters vans are build as unibody with not much framing design for holding weight in the rear. No crumpling zones makes the main shell taking any impact and several pictures show that rear impact makes Sprinter folding over rear axle.
During my conversion I experienced that Sprinter body is all build from very mild steel. Wood cutter cut right thru it, while decking screw will go without predriling.
So my conclusion is that even 500lb on rear hitch is a stretch for the design.
Than ClassC are build on extended body, who has even more stress, but built as cab & Chassis they have frame, so something to investigate.
I have not seen Sprinter C&C, but had motorhome who even in Class A were build on 28' frame extended to 32' as the converter wanted to maximize the profit. Is Sprinter ClassC having frame extended beyond common sense?
OP did not say what exactly he is going to pull.
I think 5500lb boat with 200 lb tongue weight would be acceptable risk, but 6000lb garbage hauler with 800 lb tongue >>> forgatabouit.

Last edited:

klausman

The tongue wight would be minimal, I would be flat towing a Jeep. Except for when braking but even the the brake controller in the Jeep should handle too much force on the tongue. In the end the goal is to be as safe and within limits, and it does not seem they can do it.

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
The tongue wight would be minimal, I would be flat towing a Jeep. Except for when braking but even the the brake controller in the Jeep should handle too much force on the tongue. In the end the goal is to be as safe and within limits, and it does not seem they can do it.
I opted to purchase a 1994 Suzuki Sidekick 4x4 to flat tow behind my Sprinter. Only about 2,200 lbs. as compared with 4,000 lbs for my 2005 Jeep Wrangler 2-door Unlimited. I love my Jeep, but didn't want an RV big enough to easily tow it around. The cost of buying the Sidekick was well under the increased cost of buying a bigger RV.

HarryN

A coach house platinum III might be among the highest for tow ratings but it is still under your 15000 GCWR goal.

It is built on a Ford 3500 cut away van body and uses monocoque construction for rigidity.

There are some small mid size class C builders that will up size the platform to a 4500 if you ask but that still might not be enough.

I haven't seen anything built on the chevy silverado 4500 / 5500 series yet but that platform is probably the strongest out there short of the class A type RVs. Those are being built with a surprisingly wide range of frame lengths and WR since it is literally 2 big beams front to back.

JUSTAGUY

St Cloud, WI
There are Class C's built on the Freightliner M2, Cascadia, or Volvo chassis which would easily handle that weight

richard cabesa

A coach house platinum III might be among the highest for tow ratings but it is still under your 15000 GCWR goal.

It is built on a Ford 3500 cut away van body and uses monocoque construction for rigidity.

There are some small mid size class C builders that will up size the platform to a 4500 if you ask but that still might not be enough.

I haven't seen anything built on the chevy silverado 4500 / 5500 series yet but that platform is probably the strongest out there short of the class A type RVs. Those are being built with a surprisingly wide range of frame lengths and WR since it is literally 2 big beams front to back..
Harry, I have to correct a few of your specs.

The original poster asked if there were "any class C with a higher GCWR"

You are correct if he sticks with MB but if he moves to the Ford E350/450 chassis, that Coachhouse builds on, he can get way beyond that

The E350 is rated 17,500 and the E450 22,000 lbs!!! And yes it will pull it.

Yes t won't be a Mercedes, yes it will only get 7-8 MPG at that weight.

But do you want to pull it or not?

Yes, I know they build on the MB too

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
To add some truth to the subject. '
My 2017 F350 is rated at 24,000lb hitch pulling (more for 5th wheel) and with 12' tall camper, scaling at 6000 lb I am making honest 12 mpg.
I drive with camper at 60 mph though.

HarryN

Hi, I am certainly not an expert on vehicle tow / weight specs.

I agree that one of the more likely class B candidates is the platinum III, built on the ford chassis.

The numbers that I used for my comments are from the 2019 coach house platinum III manual, section II, page 15 on their web site.

Max trailer towing weight is listed at 3500

Max tongue weight is listed at 100 lbs.

That is my entire knowledge on that area.

edit - It might be that the specs in that manual are based on lighter duty version of the ford chassis vs the heavier duty versions.

Last edited:

richard cabesa

Coach House Platinum III is on a Ford Transit chassis and does have a very limited towing capacity.

Platinum II is on a Sprinter

The Platinum can be had on a Ford E350 or E 450 chassis.

They are pricey but nice coaches

They will even build the E=series out as four wheel drive

HarryN

Coach House Platinum III is on a Ford Transit chassis and does have a very limited towing capacity.

Platinum II is on a Sprinter

The Platinum can be had on a Ford E350 or E 450 chassis.

They are pricey but nice coaches

They will even build the E=series out as four wheel drive
You are right - I was confusing the Platinum / III

Top Bottom