On board air?

Sinatorj

So what is the preferred method to on board air? Have seen a few 12v options, nothing really stands out.

kcshoots

VanTripping.com
I have a Viair compressor and tank (many models to choose from) installed below the passenger seat in the frame cavity. Has worked well.

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
kcshoots has photos of his install somewhere, and I think it strikes a good balance of cost of performance.

I like the ARB dual compressor but two of my friends have had theirs fail catastrophically. You don't have to search the internet very far to find similar reports.

Hey_aaron

kcshoots has photos of his install somewhere, and I think it strikes a good balance of cost of performance.

I like the ARB dual compressor but two of my friends have had theirs fail catastrophically. You don't have to search the internet very far to find similar reports.
@kcshoots - Can't seem to find that photo on here. Do you have a link to that?

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
I'm planning on an ARB twin. I've never read an abundant quantity of reviews indicating poor quality. I'm undecided on the location. I'm tempted to install it in the garage to keep it clean and allow it to be easily wired to the lithium battery (also in garage). Underhood with the Vancompass mount is my second choice.

With the ARB twin, is there a good reason for tank? Seating tubeless tires is the only reason I can think of, but it seems like it flows enough air to accomplish that without a tank.

OffroadHamster

So what is the preferred method to on board air? Have seen a few 12v options, nothing really stands out.
What are you desires? Do you just want to air tires/rafts/etc up and down, or do you want to be able to blow out the interior of your van with compressed air, run air tools, etc?

If all you want to do us air up and down, then a Viar portable is a cheap and entirely reliable way to go. I run 33's and after dropping them to 18-22psi I can bring the backs up to 55 and the fronts up to 45 in about 15 minutes including getting the compressor out and putting it back. I have a Viair 300P.

Also use it to blow up inflatables for the kids, bike tires, and an air mattress for my sister when her pump died while camping with her in Yellowstone. Got pretty hot pumping the air mattress up but didnt quit.

If you have more aggressive air needs, then the van compass mount is a great way to run a tank, or the ARB Twin mounted somewhere convenient is another great option. I would lean towards the VC mount as I think VIAIR is a better value then the costly ARB. Id rather replace a VIAIR compressor than fork out a second time for the ARB. But I have owned an ARB and it was an exceptional piece of equipment.

OffroadHamster

I'm planning on an ARB twin. I've never read an abundant quantity of reviews indicating poor quality. I'm undecided on the location. I'm tempted to install it in the garage to keep it clean and allow it to be easily wired to the lithium battery (also in garage). Underhood with the Vancompass mount is my second choice.

With the ARB twin, is there a good reason for tank? Seating tubeless tires is the only reason I can think of, but it seems like it flows enough air to accomplish that without a tank.
You can seat a tubeless with the ARB. Carry a small ratchet strap for those pesky ones, but otherwise no need for a tank for that purpose. Tank would serve you well for blowing out the van or running some light air tools.

JFloFoto

You can seat a tubeless with the ARB. Carry a small ratchet strap for those pesky ones, but otherwise no need for a tank for that purpose. Tank would serve you well for blowing out the van or running some light air tools.
My experience seating tubeless tires with the ARB dual is that it's not the pressure output, but rather the ability to apply constant pressure. This the reason a tank is not needed. Sometimes it's takes 30-60 seconds. I've had best luck when the wheel, tire, and sealant are prepped and left over night before trying to seat the tire. Also helps to flip and rotate the wheel to spread the sealant while pressurizing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
If you want lots of air to seat tires or fill your SUP then I recommend the 3/4 HP, 135 psi, 12 volt Puma compressor. Found out about it from the Jeep/Expedition crowd. Popular compressor for big tires. And cost less than half the price of an ARB twin air. May require some mods to fit your vehicle. Not plug n’ play. I have details of my install on my build thread “Baby Shamu”.

Sinatorj

If you want lots of air to seat tires or fill your SUP then I recommend the 3/4 HP, 135 psi, 12 volt Puma compressor. Found out about it from the Jeep/Expedition crowd. Popular compressor for big tires. And cost less than half the price of an ARB twin air. May require some mods to fit your vehicle. Not plug n’ play. I have details of my install on my build thread “Baby Shamu”.

Ok, I'm sold.

Farfrumwork

Ditto on what Hamster said.

I have relatively infrequent air needs and the portable unit has always worked for me (in our old Syncro and in in the Sprinter). Airing-up van tires mostly for us, no air tools or anything and I haven't needed to seat a tubeless bike tire while out and about.
You can take it wherever as well.

I also tend to lean towards the less complicated, and Viar portables are pretty inexpensive.

I routed a power lead to the front so I can plug in the compressor without having to open the hood or anything. (I added an in-line 40A breaker to the line after this pic was taken)

What are you desires? Do you just want to air tires/rafts/etc up and down, or do you want to be able to blow out the interior of your van with compressed air, run air tools, etc?

If all you want to do us air up and down, then a Viar portable is a cheap and entirely reliable way to go. I run 33's and after dropping them to 18-22psi I can bring the backs up to 55 and the fronts up to 45 in about 15 minutes including getting the compressor out and putting it back. I have a Viair 300P.

Also use it to blow up inflatables for the kids, bike tires, and an air mattress for my sister when her pump died while camping with her in Yellowstone. Got pretty hot pumping the air mattress up but didnt quit.

If you have more aggressive air needs, then the van compass mount is a great way to run a tank, or the ARB Twin mounted somewhere convenient is another great option. I would lean towards the VC mount as I think VIAIR is a better value then the costly ARB. Id rather replace a VIAIR compressor than fork out a second time for the ARB. But I have owned an ARB and it was an exceptional piece of equipment.

Attachments

radair603

Ditto on what Hamster said.

I have relatively infrequent air needs and the portable unit has always worked for me (in our old Syncro and in in the Sprinter). Airing-up van tires mostly for us, no air tools or anything and I haven't needed to seat a tubeless bike tire while out and about.
You can take it wherever as well.

I also tend to lean towards the less complicated, and Viar portables are pretty inexpensive.

I routed a power lead to the front so I can plug in the compressor without having to open the hood or anything. (I added an in-line 40A breaker to the line after this pic was taken)
I went with a Viair portable also. Any chance you have a link or manufacturer for that power lead? That's a nice set-up.

Farfrumwork

^^ I built the lead. 6ga wire, and some 12v quick connects, and a small 40A inline breaker. I have a crimper and whatnot so it was an easy add-on

connector something like this (on the vehicle side and then also on the compressor):

breaker something like this:

Top Bottom