VS30 Espar S2 D2

cacaw

...I think the error memory is preventing the heater from starting.
Thanks! I didn't realize the codes could be deleted because I never went down to that next level in the Workshop menu.

Workshop -> Error Memory
  • Select [Read] by turning the operating button and confirm by pressing.
  • Read out the fault message and remedy the fault.
  • Then select [Delete] by turning the operating button.
  • Delete the fault list by pressing the operating button.

Now the heater spins up and behaves normally except for no heat.

Edit: I checked the fuel pump and it's making the single initiation click, but doesn't continue clicking to pump fuel.

Last edited:

Michlb

No cutting out, it ran flawless for two nights last weekend.

Alright, I found a Mercedes service station that installed the aux battery for me according to the MB bulletin that can be found on the upfitter Portal. They then hooks up the heater to the aux battery port.

Result: Heater seems to run without interruption. Apparently, you just can’t install this thing just with the starter battery.

Alright, I found a Mercedes service station that installed the aux battery for me according to the MB bulletin that can be found on the upfitter Portal. They then hooks up the heater to the aux battery port.

Result: Heater seems to run without interruption. Apparently, you just can’t install this thing just with the starter battery.
Great news

Agnes16

On left B pillar trim just below coat hanger. Reason: Can make adjustments in driver seat. Can reach up and hold button 2 seconds to turn on while driving. Have full view and access from back of van . out of the way and in a safe place from getting damaged. :rad:
But there is no turning it on/off from bed.... we mount on upper Passenger side wall right behind the sliding door so super easy access from the platform bed w/o getting out of bed. And it is far enough away from the heat duct to take an accurate Temp reading inside the van...

VanGoSki

Oh wow, I didn't think the cable supplied would reach that far.

My kit came with both the Easy Start Pro as well as the smaller 802 Modulator Controller. Any idea if both of those be installed at the same time? That way you could control the D2 from two different places.

cacaw

Where do you guys mount your Easy Start Pro's?
Mine's going on the passenger B-pillar because the heater is under the passenger seat and that's the easiest place to put it. Great idea to have it accessible from bed, but that would be a lot of work in our passenger van.

Finally, months after I installed the S2 D2 (or the S@!#!# D@!#!# as I've been calling it) I got the darn thing working.

Stupid mistake - I put the fuel pump in backwards, basing it's orientation on the electrical connection instead of the sizes of the output/input (the big "nut" goes towards the tank).

Man, that thing is hot!!! And, super smokey for the first ten minutes.

sanomechanic

But there is no turning it on/off from bed.... we mount on upper Passenger side wall right behind the sliding door so super easy access from the platform bed w/o getting out of bed. And it is far enough away from the heat duct to take an accurate Temp reading inside the van...
The East start pro has a timer program with 3 separate time settings. Nice being able to turn it on and off while driving. Get your lazy butt out of bed.

sanomechanic

I wouldn't run it while you're driving. Earlier failure and maintenance will be required from exhaust back pressure caused by the relative wind.
I have the intake hose running down the frame rail. The exhaust is 3 inches behind the RF mud flap. If anything this position creates a vacuum effect on the exhaust....ALL GOOD. Works bitch n

cacaw

I have the intake hose running down the frame rail. The exhaust is 3 inches behind the RF mud flap. If anything this position creates a vacuum effect on the exhaust....ALL GOOD. Works bitch n
That's where I ended putting mine, figuring a long exhaust hose would be more likely to create back pressure and sooting.

For the intake hose, I noticed that the factory Webasto heater had the intake hose stuck into a frame rail, so I did the same with the Espar's intake hose. Works fine, and there's absolutely no chance of dust, rain, or mud getting up in there. Also, it removes the hose from the air currents that Callmejoe is worried about.

elMano

I wanted to share a couple of pics from the heater install. Mainly the things that concerned me as I started the installation when tapping into the F150 and the aux battery. The fuse I used is the one mentioned at the beginning of this thread. To make the holes slightly bigger on the fuse, I used a step drill and went slow. I used 10 awg wire and a M6-1.0 nuts and 6mm pressure washers to secure them to the A1 slot in the fuse box.

For ground I used the bolt on the front left side of the passenger again with 10 awg wire. Socket size that fits that particular nut is an 16mm.

So far no issues, although the heater (and installation) will be tested in the upcoming months.

IMG_9509.JPGIMG_0083.jpg

Last edited:

Top Bottom