Need new 17” Tires Help

timber

New here.

I have the 17” method wheel 7.5” on the 2018
Current is the 245/70/17 k02, no other mods.
Need new tires ASAP.

80% highway 75 80 mph, 10% snow 10% rock sand mud

Wondering if I should change size or not? And stick with k02

Would not go larger then 275/70/17 probably 265/70/17

But wondering why not go 245/75/17 to get the extra height with less foot print close to the same weight.

Pros / Cons

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
I just installed new Method 701 17 x 7.5 wheels with Falken WildPeak AT 255/80-17. Very quiet tire, snow rated, and with 50k warranty on my 2017 4x4. Previously had KO2s and Cooper ST Max tires. New Falkens are the best of the three so far. Also cost substantially less.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

timber

Looks awesome totally filling that wheel well.
Will be interesting to see how they do in the off road vs. on road they look like they should be more quiet then k02.

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
The Falkens are quieter than the KO2s which reportedly get noisier with more wear. The Coopers offer the best snow or off road traction but also the most noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have the Falken Wildpeaks on my van, (4x4 2018 with 265-70-17s on Mandrus Atlas wheels).
The tires are quiet and balanced up perfectly, I really like them.
Trailer towing is very good with them and they are good in the snow.

Attachments

Last edited:

timber

The Falkens are quieter than the KO2s which reportedly get noisier with more wear. The Coopers offer the best snow or off road traction but also the most noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the 255/80/17 33” that fit with out the mud flap / bumper trim / lift ?

Really impressive rpm must be lower too at 75/80 by 7%

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
With the 255/80/17 33” that fit with out the mud flap / bumper trim / lift ?

Really impressive rpm must be lower too at 75/80 by 7%
The Falkens are on the larger size at 33.1”. They should fit a stock 2018 4x4 with at least a 1/2” of clearance at the tightest spot without any mods. Mine are even tighter with Agile’s 14mm spacers combined with the extra 4mm offset Methods but still no fender contact at full lock. Room for chains on the rears. Doubt they will fit a 2019 or newer even with Agile fender mods.

Speedometer is off by about 8.5%.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tegan_ca

Build Planning
I went all the way down to 235/85 Hankook ATM tire. It's been drama free from SoCal desert to Montana winter driving...and all the highway miles in between.
I might go wider when I need to replace, but that decision is a long ways away. The narrow tires are a lot less expensive. Prob would have put the Falkens on if I didn't put on so many highway miles, the Hankooks are a bit quieter on the highway.

Flagster

I went all the way down to 235/85 Hankook ATM tire. It's been drama free from SoCal desert to Montana winter driving...and all the highway miles in between.
I might go wider when I need to replace, but that decision is a long ways away. The narrow tires are a lot less expensive. Prob would have put the Falkens on if I didn't put on so many highway miles, the Hankooks are a bit quieter on the highway.

16s or 17 inch wheels. I've never seen a 235/85r17...

timber

We have had 245/75/17s Michelin LTX A/T2 s for the past 70K miles on our 2015 4x4..

I swear by them and will replace this year not because of tread wear but the sidewalls are getting a bit worn...I'm sure I could get 90-100K out of this set

Great on the highway which is 80-90% of our driving...very good aired down on dirt and great in snow.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...R7LTXAT2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
Would you switch to the new tire Michelin Agilis® CrossClimate?

OffroadHamster

Falken Wildpeak AT3W or Hankook Dynapro ATM. Run them in whatever size you like. I run the Wildpeaks in 285/70R17 currently. I buy whichever I can get a better deal on typically.

Tires have ~ 25K miles in this photo, are probably 40% worn by my standards (I replace before I am on the wear bars as I frequent the Sierra, UT and CO and am loath do deal with shabby tires in the snow.

Even wear, quiet as the day they went on.

Exceptional off road, side lugs are stout and provide meaningful traction when aired down. Ive run these on numerous vehicles and currently also run a plus size on my wife's VW Atlas which has become a decent trail vehicle with the addition (nevermind the body and undercarriage damage ;)

Glamour shot!

Last edited:

maz

UK Nottm 2008 315cdi4x4 van
Falken Wildpeak AT3W or Hankook Dynapro ATM. Run them in whatever size you like. I run the Wildpeaks in 285/70R17 currently. I buy whichever I can get a better deal on typically.

Tires have ~ 25K miles in this photo, are probably 40% worn by my standards (I replace before I am on the wear bars as I frequent the Sierra, UT and CO and am loath do deal with shabby tires in the snow.

Even wear, quiet as the day they went on.

Exceptional off road, side lugs are stout and provide meaningful traction when aired down. Ive run these on numerous vehicles and currently also run a plus size on my wife's VW Atlas which has become a decent trail vehicle with the addition (nevermind the body and undercarriage damage ;)

Glamour shot!
hello , your pics do not show up

timber

Hi all,

After going with the k02’s in 245/75/17 and doing 400miles, I ordered the Falken wildpeak at3w stuck with stock size 245/70/17 and they looks great not as filling.
Will be doing freeway test soon to check for noise and balance issues and hopefully reset tpms alarm.
Any thoughts on psi front as back unloaded no trailer.

I think you will really like the Falkens. They are very quiet and super smooth on my van.
Way better than the summer tires that came from the factory. Got them more for traction but was very surprised at how much the ride improved over the stock tires.It is actually amazing how much better the ride is. Mine are the Wildpeak 17", AT3W LT265-70-R17's.

timber

Got the falken Wildpeak at3w installed wow massive improvement in less noise about 10db avg 86db.
Need to figure out PSI for different conditions
Went with the stock size that came with this van 245/70/17

Top Bottom