Gear oil change in pictures

Andyy

Hi
Ive been trying to find this castrol 75/85 gear oil but havent had much luck, can any one point me in the right direction please.

Andy

maxextz

Rollin Rollin Rollin.....
Hi
Ive been trying to find this castrol 75/85 gear oil but havent had much luck, can any one point me in the right direction please.

Andy
i asked merc what oil they used and they said they didnt know:wtf:.the oil i got for the job was 75w80 you should be able to get it in halfords where i got mine.:thumbup:
max........:cheers:

I got mine from local motor factors. The guy didnt seem to think i was right in saying i needed 75/85, but he checked it up in his catalogue and he stood corrected!.....Its a gl 3/4 anyway i think.

Andyy

I phoned the local mercedes garage aswell and they didnt know the type of oil I was wanting so I drove there and spoke to one of the mechanics and he said 75/ 80 would be ok, I also got 5/40 fully synth for my engine will this be ok as the mechanic said when l spoke to him they use 15/40. Thanks for the advice.:cheers:
Andy

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
........forget about your manual gearbox its not coming:lol:.you boys just love your auto-trannys:bash:.........
Well, I know that you know if mine could have been a cog swapper it would have:tongue:....and Max, where were you when I was in Dublin eh? Would've bought you a pint or ten:cheers:

Any of you ever seen or used this stuff?
My local car parts guy (used to be TDIParts.com now they're IDParts.com) got this in, we used it on one of the `96 Passat TDI gearboxes.....goooood squishy!

Attachments

Andyy

I have put in the 75/80 but my gears are still stiff in the morning until I drive for 10 minutes and then they ease off but those first 10 minute they are right stiff. :thinking:Anyone any suggestions for easing them off?

Andy

baldeagle

Hi Max - Any recommended make of oil? :hmmm:
update on oil change

well i messed up with the oil i used 85w90 for the gearbox and in the manual it says"the type of oil has changed during production to 75w85" so after buying the oil then seeing this i said there might not be much of a difference,
i was wrong the oil takes a long time"as much as the engine gets to optimum temps" to start working i noticed that gear change was very hard with the shifter having to be forced into its position until the oil heated up then it was nice and smooth.
the next day the same thing happened :professor:so make sure you get the proper oil for it depending also on what part of the world you are in.

so another oil change coming up.

max........:snore:

Maybe try a full synthetic gear oil next time? That is a guess. vic
I have put in the 75/80 but my gears are still stiff in the morning until I drive for 10 minutes and then they ease off but those first 10 minute they are right stiff. :thinking:Anyone any suggestions for easing them off?

Andy

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Well Max I thought you were doing the diff, after all Manual trans , the only oil I put in is Manual-A MB A001 989 26 03 10 Yes there is a trap with hypiod Gear oils ,Dot oils, and most important engine oil! as the spick's&speck's are consistently changing, It's a hard call when the variants for what seems the right oil! differ in standards, in each others countries.
Do not pass Go do not collect $200 go directly to jail.:rant:
PS you may need to flush the oil as mixing may have some similar effect, a tad down the the track latter-on.
Richard
Manual/sprintshift.. MB A00 1 989 26 03 10

Merc near me do a genuine Merc oil at £14 a litre (need 2) but I suppose it is only every 50 or 60k :hmmm:
that's for auto not manual oil.
be aware as max found out 'I did tell him but he had trouble finding the right oil in Ireland at the time.
Full syn, semi syn and mineral can be a trap as to viscosity warming up with sticky gears
Castrol has a know issue on Sprinters with this, some have experienced hard to shift transmissions until maximum viscosity has been achieved the products range from 75wto 95w
Richard

maxextz

Rollin Rollin Rollin.....
steady on there ross:smilewink: an oil can has many different stickers on but comes from the same tap,like yellow pack.
you only pay for the fancy stickers.

Oldfartt

OK Max, maybe I was feeling grumpy when I wrote that but the fact remains that there are few alternatives available to the MB oil. One manufacturer in Australia, None in NZ . Mobil make MB 17 (I think) but do not import it into NZ. I suspect that the reason is that the amount used is so small, because of the long period between changes, that there is little or no profit in importing or stocking it.

Cheers

Ross

PS. I am feeling a lot better now, thank you :D:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Yes Ross it can be hard to find:.... Fact is most folk won't pay the price! But are the first to complain. it's as simple as that.
Apart from that have a real nice day.
Richard

lotayz

Hi All...
Its my first time post in the forum...its a very helpful forum...credit goes to all the legends out there....I am wondering if the MB A001 989 26 03 10 transmission oil is compatible with my 2004 308cdi sprinter sprintshift manual transmission...i called a dealer in derrimut(melbourne) he advise me i need 3 half litre bottles and each bottle is $80.00...Then another on told me i need 8 bottles of 1 litre each($30 each)....i am confused and not sure who to believe....Pls help....Thanks

tricky22

Thanks for the pictures and help, just managed to get the drain bolt undone. Off to fill it up now after that Pint sorry coffee you talked about.

stellamon

Read this thread and found it very useful thank you. I'm about to change my transmission oil as a first step toward fixing my gear change problems. First is hard to select and occasionally there's a scary large bang when I lift off the clutch.
Could anybody confirm that this oil will be okay for my 2005 manual T1N:

Top Bottom