Braking system for Toad

MorrieC

We are setting a Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door to use from time to time as a toad. What braking system are you using for those that tow. The leading candidates are the Roadmaster InvisiBrake or the Demco Stay-N-Play Duo, both of these systems are hardware and installed. The one portable system that looks interesting is the RViBrake System 3 it appears to be quite easy to use.

My question is which one should I go with. I'm leaning toward the Stay-n-Play Duo or the RVibrake System which appears easy to use. I want a reliable system that works. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Rock Doc

I have an RVi system that works well for my towing my 2-dr JK (rather modified with 37” tires and more...). I’m towing this with my Class B Pleasureway, and I’m right at GCVWR as I drive down the highway. I think there are more factors going into which system one chooses than just a "Mikey likes it". I suspect all the available braking systems work well, and overall the pricing of all of them isn’t all that different. With that, the choices are whether you want a permanently mounted system that has the least amount of effort to connect, or a portable system that can be easily swapped between vehicles.

The only other system I can comment on is my experience with an M&G system I had in my Durango 13 years ago—and towed it behind a 38' diesel pusher. That system connected the motorhome's air brakes to a cylinder between the power brake vacuum booster and the master cylinder on the Durango. The Durango brakes were pretty mushy and less assertive until I removed that cylinder. I liked the ease of connecting the brakes, but didn’t like the way it made the Durango's brakes feel. I’m happier with the RVi system I now have, but others on this forum do have different preferences and have different priorities.

Hope this helps!

Rock Doc
2014 Pleasureway Plateau TS in 2013 Sprinter 3500

Peter Tourin

2020 Unity RL, ex 2012 Unity MB
We've been using an RVIBrake II for about 4 years. We power it from the car accessory 12v plug - haven't had any problems with draining the car battery. We had extra towing bulbs mounted in the taillights. It takes me about 5 minutes to hook up the car (Blue Ox tow bar) and set up the brake system, and about 3 minutes to unhook.

jjocean

Since space is a premium I couldn’t figure out what I’d do with a portable unit when I drove the Toad. Went with Demco Stay-in-Play with a charge line from the coach. Couldn’t be happier. The control box (vacuum pump/compressor) had to go under the driver’s seat as the JL Jeep had no room under the hood. It was worth the trouble of the install to have one less thing to move around.

2019 Unity FX

Last edited:

C21bill

2018 Unity TB
I had an InvisiBrake installed in our Fiat Abarth. My regular hitch guy recommended the Stay-n-play over the InvisiBrake because he felt the Stay-n-play was the more reliable unit. I wound up using Camping World to install my tow gear because I caught their $59 installation sale which saved me about $1400. Camping World recommend the InvisiBrake primarily because the control module would be located inside the car (under the driver seat) instead of the hot engine compartment, which is the case with the Stay-n-play. Now, with over 2400 miles of pulling the towd, I am very pleased with the performance of the Invisi-Brake.

kj4oll

2017 24G
We have the RVI-3, works great, easy to install. All the rest of our towing equipment is Roadmaster, but when I looked at the installation and operation of the Roadmaster Invisibrake brake system, seemed like it was a “Rube Goldberg” contraption, and in our 2017 Honda HR-V, would have been very difficult for me to install.

Shallow Water Sailor

2018 Unity MB
We have used the Roadmaster invisi-brake on our 2006 Saturn for 4 years. It works great, no muss, no fuss. Camping World installed it and I would never have them work on my vehicle again. One reason was their $59 install fee morphed into over $200.

C21bill

2018 Unity TB
We have used the Roadmaster invisi-brake on our 2006 Saturn for 4 years. It works great, no muss, no fuss. Camping World installed it and I would never have them work on my vehicle again. One reason was their $59 install fee morphed into over $200.
Bummer, in my case they provided an itemized quote and charged me the exact amount quoted.

CB1945

I have a BlueOx Patriot that I’ve used on three different toads and two motor homes. It does not require any mods to the toad other than running the wire from the break a way switch on the base Plate into the car and plug into the patriot.
It does require a 12V power source by plugging into a Live, with the IGN in Acc Mode, Aux Plugin.
It is easy to set up and remove. Can be moved from one vehicle to another easily.

It is a fully proportional brake and performs as advertised. It has a wireless remote dash mounted control that allows the driver to monitor when it is active, control the sensitivity and manually operate the brake if the need arose.

Back years ago when i bought the first one, there were a few cons but BlueOx stepped up and provided a new updated version after I had used it for a couple of years, for 1/3 the cost of a new one.
The new version, and there has been upgrades since then, performs flawlessly. If I were in the market for a new system I would most certainly look at the BlueOx Patriot.
I have no financial interest in the company. I just think they build a good product. :thumbup:

Busb2

Bought. BlueOx Patriot last year. We needed a portable unit because we have two different toads we tow depending on where we start our trips from. We have been very pleased with the performance of the system. Also, it is very easy and fast to set up and doesn’t take much room in one of the storage bins in our 2019 Unity MB when not in use. Highly recommend!

Sahara

2015 Unity TB
I installed the Stay and Play Duo in our Suzuki Samurai about 3 years ago and have had no problems. Once set up its easy to use and has been reliable. Took a couple of days of tinkering to install, fun project. We been down some pretty bumpy trails and so far the system hasn’t had any failures. My only complaint is that it’s difficult for me to see the led indicator light via the rear camera in the daylight.

2015 Unity TB

MorrieC

Since space is a premium I couldn’t figure out what I’d do with a portable unit when I drove the Toad. Went with Demco Stay-in-Play with a charge line from the coach. Couldn’t be happier. The control box (vacuum pump/compressor) had to go under the driver’s seat as the JL Jeep had no room under the hood. It was worth the trouble of the install to have one less thing to move around.

2019 Unity FX
Thanks for the info on the JL install. etrailer.com has an installation video on putting the Stay-in-Play under the drivers seat on a JL. It looks like it is time consuming install but probably worth the time. They also have a video where they were installing it on the base plate on a JL. I think I like the under the seat install better.

MorrieC

We have the RVI-3, works great, easy to install. All the rest of our towing equipment is Roadmaster, but when I looked at the installation and operation of the Roadmaster Invisibrake brake system, seemed like it was a “Rube Goldberg” contraption, and in our 2017 Honda HR-V, would have been very difficult for me to install.
The RVi-3 videos are quite impressive and it sure simplifies the install. This is one that I am considering. Do you use the RVI tire monitor system? they are now on sale with the braking system so it would be a good combo.

Top Bottom