3rd row bench seat mounting hole positions

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
If it is like the other end, it is press-fit on the mounting bolt. I haven't removed this piece yet, but the other end pops off when you kick it wrong.
The front one does come off easy...that rear one however I can't get to pop off with lots of pressure...so I am thinking there is a tab that I don't see unlike the front that has two on teh side, it just pops off super easy like you said.

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
I got the rails, looks like they will work but you will not have the "ramp" you have on the 2nd bench seat to make it easy to roll out unless you want to do a full rail. The only way it looks like that will be if you buy the the extra rear piece like in a passenger van as the very rear piece has the ramp built in.

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

robbs

Any updates on progress here @slamit? Looking to do the same and got a separate rail to add a second bench on my 2019 Crew. Looks to be the same as the front row. Talked with multiple dealerships trying to find the part... the single rail never came up, assume that's because it's from the Passenger trims?

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
Rails side by side...you have to order the passenger rail for two seats. (part number in pic) Plastic cup pulls off, just has some tabs you have to pry a bit to release. I haven't checked if the back hole (last one) is under the floor...but I assume it is or I will secure accordingly with a through bolt in the frame. I haven't figured out all the plastic pieces needed yet...I ordered a bunch that I think I won't need, not going to get to this for a while as I don't need it on this van...its another one. Pretty simple...just need to pull the floor or raise it and cut out for the longer rail. The back end won't have the ramp to roll the seat out unless you have the rail that goes beyond this one.

rail side by side.jpg

upc.jpg

tabs.jpg

robbs

Got it. Does look to be easier. One bolt instead of 3 more, looks like you wouldn't have to fuss with the 2nd panel of the floor...

Assuming this is the exact seat spacing as the passenger?

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
Got it. Does look to be easier. One bolt instead of 3 more, looks like you wouldn't have to fuss with the 2nd panel of the floor...

Assuming this is the exact seat spacing as the passenger?
Its a passenger rail. Only one more bolt...and you know exactly where it is based on the rail. Pretty straight forward, way easier than the older ones.

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
Here you go courtesy of cacampervan.com (modify at your own risk, this is not an approved OEM MB modification as with anything when you cut into a van):smirk:

This is done on a 2019 Crew Van. Only Crew van or van ordered with factory inserts for seats will have these holes. These are factory holes for seat mounts that are reinforced. They do not exist on a cargo van unless you ordered this option.

1. Remove old rail
2. Put down double rail, mark last hole
3. Pre Drill Hole with pilot hole to expose threads
4. Use a step drill bit to "open hole up" be careful, go slowly as not to damage threads
5. Primer the edges
6. Bolt the rail in and/or modify your floor and use appropriate caps to finish it off

DISCLAIMER; MOD AT YOUR OWN RISK, these are factory inserts, but I make no claim this is DOT approved modification or approved by MB. blah, blah, blah...:rad:

mark1.jpg

mark.jpg

predrill.jpg

step bit.jpg

primer.jpg

Last edited:

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
Here you see rails side by side and the final hole you just added to bolt the rail in. Super easy mod if you want to just add a seat, unlike older vans there is not much guess work where the holes are.

rail side by side2.jpg

line up holes..jpg

This was part number for the longer two seat rail

upc.jpg

Last edited:

jsrmonster

I looked at several options, and chose the cheapest but took several hours and lots of planning to accomplish. I have a bike chock and carry motorcycle inside sometimes, and need a people hauler too. I am on the road with my van working in my portable office too. Relocated seat works great for me. My 11 crew doesn't have rear seat mounting provisions. Love the versatility of my 170 crew. Jeff

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=607584&postcount=79

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
jsrmonster -NCV30...is is a VS30 (2019+) post. Anyway more pics of finished rail installed with interwoven vinyl over factory floor. (used in boats...google it) This is an easy project, but really time consuming to get to this point including the floor resurface. No surprise there right?

For the rear there isn't really a great solution so I took a cover I ordered and cut it down. There is no "ramp" to roll the seat out with; not when you go to this rail unless you want to extend it way back. I attached the part number for the rear most trim that I cut down to finish out the rear of the seat rail. Overall turned out nice, looks stock, and with this flooring the van really has a nice feel. I will touch base on the flooring a bit more in my build thread on this weekender I did this on.

seat pucks finished 2.jpg

seat pucks finished 3.jpg

seat pucks finished.jpg

seat pucks rear piece to be cut.jpg

trim cutting.jpg

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
Is this the part number for the middle and rear trim? Doing this mod too and trying to determine if I go factory trim or try and customize some inserts into the rail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is the center one...if you have a single just use what you have for middle and front and add this on the rear of the track below)...I just found this one (after ordering a small fortune worth of plastic pieces) this works perfect for the back piece and has a small ramp. You will not have to trim anything.

Rear Plastic Cup Part Number.jpg

wrightmi

@slamit First, thank you for the detailed summary and photos of this modification. I have a 2019 Crew I'm about to take possession of so this is all very useful. I'm curious from your experience doing this project, does it seem feasible to take the existing "first row bench" hardware and move it back to the "second row bench" position? Rather than adding a second row like you did, just move the hardware back so the seat is farther back. I assume this would require locating and drilling out the receiver for the second row, then dealing with the hole left in the factory floor. Anything I'm not considering based on your experience?

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
@slamit First, thank you for the detailed summary and photos of this modification. I have a 2019 Crew I'm about to take possession of so this is all very useful. I'm curious from your experience doing this project, does it seem feasible to take the existing "first row bench" hardware and move it back to the "second row bench" position? Rather than adding a second row like you did, just move the hardware back so the seat is farther back. I assume this would require locating and drilling out the receiver for the second row, then dealing with the hole left in the factory floor. Anything I'm not considering based on your experience?
You just have to deal with the hole likely...I like having the ability of two positions, personally if you are going to do it...have two positions, from a use stand point and resale value its a big plus, then just fill in the front part when not in use...and put a nice mat over it to trap the dirt - which is a good idea regardless in any van. This is the advice I give to my customers as a professional builder. Its also a mod that is very easily done by DIYer for sure who is comfortable with power tools.

wrightmi

You just have to deal with the hole likely...I like having the ability of two positions, personally if you are going to do it...have two positions, from a use stand point and resale value its a big plus, then just fill in the front part when not in use...and put a nice mat over it to trap the dirt - which is a good idea regardless in any van. This is the advice I give to my customers as a professional builder. Its also a mod that is very easily done by DIYer for sure who is comfortable with power tools.
You make a good point about options and resale. The effort is about the same either way. I appreciate the input!

Top Bottom