Stereo upgrade

Mr Makai

Just got my 144 Cargo 4*4. Love the 10 inch screen but over all sound is not amazing.

Anyone upgrade their speakers etc?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

sanomechanic

Just got my 144 Cargo 4*4. Love the 10 inch screen but over all sound is not amazing.

Anyone upgrade their speakers etc?

Back when I had my 2016 Crew with Audio 5. It sounded like crap. Then I put a curtain up between cab and rear area to make AC more efficient. What a difference the curtain made for the audio as well

dbedy

Interface is amazing, sound is horrific.
We need to figure out how to get rear channels wired in ASAP!
Has anyone taken their passenger van dash apart yet that can provide some pictures?

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
add a sound processor, 5 channel amp...upgrade the speakers you will have amazing sound. Just don't go to a ghetto audio shop, go to a shop that works on high end cars that does stuff right. Even sound deadening, insulating, and adding rear speakers to stock head unit makes a HUGE difference. Don't yet know how to activate the rear fader, as soon as I get a hold of a van I can figure this out on and have the dealer figure out how to activate the rear fader...I will make it happen. On the NCV3's I had great results just upgrading speakers, sound deadening, and acoustic insulation. Adding a sound processor, class D amp, and speakers you get REALLY nice sound. This is basic stuff for high end audio shop. These are the shops that work on the really expensive cars...they got things figured out the right way.

sanomechanic

EL9 Audio Systems Speakers, 5 Front, 8 Rear Compared to Sprinter 906 Carry Over Advanced New
Installation of a two-way loudspeaker system. The specification of code EL8 is extended with a further four tweeters and four mid-range woofers fitted in the sidewall/sliding door and in the left- and right-hand rear side paneling in the passenger compartment.
Benefits:  Excellent sound quality due to 13 speakers  Improved listening pleasure in passenger compartment
Offers excellent sound quality, due to separate tweeters and mid-range woofers, and improved listening pleasure for passengers, wherever they happen to be sitting.

NJ2CA

Sound is awful... anyone know what size and how many speakers are in the passenger with 10" screen? Is a sound processor actually needed?

VanGoSki

EL9 Audio Systems Speakers, 5 Front, 8 Rear Compared to Sprinter 906 Carry Over Advanced New
Installation of a two-way loudspeaker system. The specification of code EL8 is extended with a further four tweeters and four mid-range woofers fitted in the sidewall/sliding door and in the left- and right-hand rear side paneling in the passenger compartment.
Benefits:  Excellent sound quality due to 13 speakers  Improved listening pleasure in passenger compartment
Offers excellent sound quality, due to separate tweeters and mid-range woofers, and improved listening pleasure for passengers, wherever they happen to be sitting.
EL9 isn't available on a Cargo van. However, the 2020 DOG shows a new option for Cargo vans only, "EP7 Basic electric fitting for rear loudspeakers", for $65. Sounds like exactly what we want.

Last edited:

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
I have Hein sending me some experimental adapter rings for the front door...see if I can put a different speaker up there along with adding rears...won't be getting to this until December when I can experiment with my own van, but we should have the rings figured out before then to at least be able to upgrade the front speaker. This should make a big difference along with sound deadening and insulating the doors which already makes a nice difference just with stock speakers.

I don't think the front door speakers are even hooked up, couldn't get any sound out of them even with changing the fader/balance. All the sound was either front dash or rear speakers.

leucadia

I don't think the front door speakers are even hooked up, couldn't get any sound out of them even with changing the fader/balance. All the sound was either front dash or rear speakers.
If you disconnect the Center Speaker from the audio, the system sounds quite good. Make sure you only disconnect the plug from the music source. There is a second pair of wires connected to
the speaker that are connected to the SOS system.You do not want to remove them. It take about 2 minutes to remove the cover and disconnect . The only tool necessary is a small plastic spudger.

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
Got the rings and van arrives next week at dealer so I will post results. Already provided some feedback on some improvements for the ring. I am pretty sure the sound will be greatly improved after I add speaker and sound deaden and insulate the doors...on the older sprinters when I do this the way I do its a huge difference.

Mr Makai

Got the rings and van arrives next week at dealer so I will post results. Already provided some feedback on some improvements for the ring. I am pretty sure the sound will be greatly improved after I add speaker and sound deaden and insulate the doors...on the older sprinters when I do this the way I do its a huge difference.
Looking forward to your feedback

Vader170

Thanks leucadia

I disconnected the center channel on my 13 speaker system and it made a difference. Plastic speaker cover just pops up with force. Then the speaker pops out with a little force as well. Disconnect the black plastic connection. I think the white one is for the SOS that leucadia was talking about. Then push everything back together. 2 min tops. Give me a week or so with it this way and I can report back if there are any negatives.

kingshade

Im sure this will improve something but the real problem is you cant even hear the door speakers.. it all comes out of the center console.

kingshade

Thanks leucadia

I disconnected the center channel on my 13 speaker system and it made a difference. Plastic speaker cover just pops up with force. Then the speaker pops out with a little force as well. Disconnect the black plastic connection. I think the white one is for the SOS that leucadia was talking about. Then push everything back together. 2 min tops. Give me a week or so with it this way and I can report back if there are any negatives.
has anyone tried turning it down with a resistor? that's what it needs.

eralimited57

2008 Sprinter 2500 170 Extended High Top 3.0L CRD
I went thru about 5 sets of speakers from $300 to $100 and none sounded good.

I then stumbled on these and WOW, phenominal sound.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/jbl-gx...lene-cones-pair-black/6283670.p?skuId=6283670

Bought and used the adapter rings that are sold on ebay.

Also went with an alpine amp.

I insulated the doors with dynamat and 3M sound deadening mat.

Using Spotify with high quality recordings the sound is down right jaw dropping. I don't even need a subwoofer, you feel the bass in your chest. Crystal clear highs that don't in the least fatigue.

Top Bottom