No Start - Is it Mass Airflow or Fuel Gell?

Huck

My '06 T1N wants to start but wont. Vehicle has been used very little since returning from Fla to Mi in last 3 wks. A couple of days ago when I tried to start it it would rumble, like it was trying to start, but starter would disengage and engine would quit. A spritz of starting fluid on air filter caused engine to start and run, about 10 sec.

I am getting a P0100 code on scangage. Did reset - came back. P0100 I believe is Mass Airflow Sensor code, would this cause this condition? Is there a way to test MAS before I spend $200+ for a new one.

I would seem this condition could also indicate fuel gelling. I have added Diesel 911 to fuel tank but it is too cold out to get to the fuel filter. Is there a way to cycle the fuel pump to bring 911 through the system?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Huck
Everything I know about my diesel I have learned from you guys...Thanks!:thumbup:

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
My '06 T1N wants to start but wont.

I am getting a P0100 code on scangage. Did reset - came back. P0100 I believe is Mass Airflow Sensor code, would this cause this condition? Is there a way to test MAS before I spend $200+ for a new one.
Huck
First, throw away that can of starting fluid.

Second, try starting after disconnecting the MAF sensor and leaving it disconnected. But be aware this disconnect will set 2 fault codes and light the MIL (but without LHM). You don't want to confuse a technician later when servicing, so mention the disconnect experiment.

Third, have the fault codes read and analyzed using a proper diagnostic tool.

The hot film, 647 MAF sensor is very expensive. Don't replace it if you are unsure of diagnosis.

Doktor A

Last edited:

Huck

Thanks, I'll try that. What is MIL & LHM?

Huck
p.s. - just sent you an email to buy a DAD, is that the proper diagnostic tool you alluded to?

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Thanks, I'll try that. What is MIL & LHM?

Huck
p.s. - just sent you an email to buy a DAD, is that the proper diagnostic tool you alluded to?
My advice to seek out proper diagnostic equipment was not intended to be a sales pitch. But now that you mentioned it, yes, that's one of the proper tools and affordable too. Comes in black and matches any decor. Perfect gift for that special Sprinter in your life.

The MIL is the check engine light. LHM is limp home mode.

If engine related, LHM is typically a low power, no boost mode. Doktor A

Last edited:

Huck

Maybe I can get it in time for my Sprinter's Birthday, when I took delivery, on Feb 29th.

Maybe I can get it in time for my Sprinter's Birthday, when I took delivery, on Feb 29th.
You're being kind to Andy. By my search the next Feb. 29 is in 2012. I think he can make that delivery schedule even if he walks and hand delivers it.:lol: AP/vic

Huck

I was wondering how long it would take to get a response to that....:lol:

Back to the subject -- I disconnected the MAS but got the same results, no start. Does this give the MAS a clean-bill-of-health?

It is still COLD here in Michigan could the problem be in the fuel system. Can't bring the LTV indoors so what is the next best solution? (Waiting until warmer weather is not out of the question) Can I warm something i.e. fuel filter to get things working?

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
I disconnected the MAS but got the same results, no start. Does this give the MAS a clean-bill-of-health?

Can I warm something i.e. fuel filter to get things working?
That does eliminate one variable, maybe even 2. Be sure to plug it back in and expect to see 2 fault codes later regarding this disconnect.

If you have winter grade fuel from a reputable supplier and if its above zero....

Where did you fill up, on that trip back from Florida?

Doktor A

Huck

That does eliminate one variable, maybe even 2. Be sure to plug it back in and expect to see 2 fault codes later regarding this disconnect.

If you have winter grade fuel from a reputable supplier and if its above zero....

Where did you fill up, on that trip back from Florida?

Doktor A
I filled up on Jan 16 in Michigan at a BP station; got 19 gal, have driven 5 miles since. Can't attest to how reputable. Temps here have been in teens & 20's. I have never had a starting problem with this vehicle prior to this incident.

Re fault codes - will I be able to cancell these with my Scangage II?

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
I filled up on Jan 16 in Michigan at a BP station; got 19 gal, have driven 5 miles since. Can't attest to how reputable. Temps here have been in teens & 20's. I have never had a starting problem with this vehicle prior to this incident.

Re fault codes - will I be able to cancell these with my Scangage II?
Don't erase them yet. Never erase fault codes until they are accurately interpreted and documented. And there is still that original fault code which your Scangauge may have completely misinterpreted.

How about going to the next step- see if you have fuel flow and pressure from the fuel filter outlet. Pressure should be above 55psi, with ign key on (30 second pump run time at each key cycle). Doktor A

Huck

Sorry to take so long to respond.

I think I understand how to test the fuel pressure (there is a fuel pressure gauge adaptor), though, I don't have a fuel pressure gauge. Do I need one specifically for a Sprinter?

Last Saturday I had a few minutes so thought I would try again to start it. On second try it started and continued running although it was only doing about 600-700 RPM's and wouldn't respond to accelerator. On Sunday after chruch I tried again and it started and ran with low RPM's but, shortly it started improving and would respond to the accelerator. After about 10-15 minutes of heavy smoking (white exhaust) it smoothed out and idled perfectly. I left it idling for about an hour and it quit on its own and wouldn't restart. Next day it again started and ran well. I left it to idle and after about an hour and a half it quit and wouldn't restart. It is still in a no start condition.

Thanks,

Huck

talkinghorse43

Sounds a little like the experience of someone who posted about a misfuelling incident. Is it possible you fueled with gas instead of diesel? Or, maybe the diesel was contaminated with gas? Since gas doesn't like to ignite without a spark, that could explain the white smoke and starting/running problems.

Huck

Sounds a little like the experience of someone who posted about a misfuelling incident. Is it possible you fueled with gas instead of diesel? Or, maybe the diesel was contaminated with gas? Since gas doesn't like to ignite without a spark, that could explain the white smoke and starting/running problems.
Same thought had crossed my mind so I checked my receipt, it showed I used the diesel pump. It is very suspicious that 5 miles after I filled up the problems surfaced. I have considered siphoning the fuel from the tank but I don't know what to do with the fuel I remove.

Will the DAD give me any insight to this problem?

Huck

Top Bottom