Added catagories

DieselBob

Hi Sikwan,

After reviewing the links you provided I see much discussion and thought has gone into the current set up and I commend everyone's efforts. Part of my reference to the TDI forum is I’m familiar with it, although anything can be improved. As a new owner/user I scoured the Sprinter forum for information on problems areas and general maintenance information and found a great deal, however it’s pretty well scattered. I believe new members will do the same, but consolidation of information will make it easier for everyone. I have some suggestions to offer but I’m also aware changes take time and effort from people that contribute their free time to this forum and if everyone's happy with things as they are, then so be it

1. Change (Sprinter Talk) to “Sprinter News”

This Forum to be for the posting of Sprinter news related items.

Current Sprinter talk is so open that anything from any category can be thrown out for discussion and is not tied to the specific areas that apply.

2. Create a Sprinter 101

Got a simple/basic Sprinter question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Questions here can be directed to applicable sections of the forum or answered directly by the knowledgeable.

3. Change (Fuel) to “Fuel/Lubricants and fluids.

A single place where all manufacturer recommended (and alternate thoughts) can be displayed and discussed about the fluids used on the sprinter systems.
Fuel
Sub Biodiesel
engine oil
transmission oil
gear oil
brake fluid
antifreeze
door lubricants

4. Create OBD scanner section

To list and comment on the current products available to interrogate the Sprinter OBD and their functionality. Some read only codes, some also allow limited adaptation of component changes. Having a good discussion in this area is most likely the biggest cost driver for maintenance. The VW TDI community is extremely fortunate to have a alternate software program available that matches or better’s the VW equipment at a cost of about $300 US. As the numbers of Sprinter grows, Sprinter specific program cost should reduce. Getting everyone interested would help.

5. Provide maintenance How To’s

Either in a separate section or as a sticky in applicable sections attach member provided procedures for maintenance and modifications. Encourage owners to produce a step by step procedure ( with possible photo’s) on common and uncommon maintenance tasks. DIY could use as a guide and dealer repairs actions can be scrutinized with some knowledge:2cents:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
1. Change (Sprinter Talk) to “Sprinter News”
2. Create a Sprinter 101
If we change the name of #1 and add #2, where would someone post a thread like, "I just bought a new 2007 Sprinter!", where the poster explains how excited he/she is about their purchase.

#2 questions should go into the OEM Technical section. I for one don't like how it's set up because everything seems to go into the Body section, although having Engine and Transmission as a separate category is a good idea.

3. Change (Fuel) to “Fuel/Lubricants and fluids.
I'll have to agree with this. Some of the engine/transmission fluid stuff is in the OEM technical section, but it's not OEM stuff.

4. Create OBD scanner section
Another good one. Maybe in the general forums section.

5. Provide maintenance How To’s
We already have maintenance how to's. It's either in the OEM section or the Aftermarket section.

Seek

DieselBob

If we change the name of #1 and add #2, where would someone post a thread like, "I just bought a new 2007 Sprinter!", where the poster explains how excited he/she is about their purchase.

#2 questions should go into the OEM Technical section. I for one don't like how it's set up because everything seems to go into the Body section, although having Engine and Transmission as a separate category is a good idea.

I'll have to agree with this. Some of the engine/transmission fluid stuff is in the OEM technical section, but it's not OEM stuff.

Another good one. Maybe in the general forums section.

We already have maintenance how to's. It's either in the OEM section or the Aftermarket section.

Seek
1. I think the same stickies currently under talk could go into news. New members and new vehicles are news.

2. Ideally tech questions should go into appropriate OEM tech sections. The 101 section I’m suggesting would be for newbies who are not familiar with the forum and basic questions that someone's looking for quick reply. I know it’s hard to police.

5. The available how to’s are generally at the back of sections or mixed. To find them you either search or check though all posts within a section you think applies. Could a (how to) sticky be be included at the beginning of section to include content or links of the how to’s within that section?
There are also instructional posts not labeled “how to” that could be and included. Maybe over time data can also be imported from the YahooSprinterVan site

sikwan

06 Tin Can
1. I think the same stickies currently under talk could go into news. New members and new vehicles are news.
We can separate the general threads and the news threads and place the News related threads (DCX related news) in the News section.

2. Ideally tech questions should go into appropriate OEM tech sections. The 101 section I’m suggesting would be for newbies who are not familiar with the forum and basic questions that someone's looking for quick reply. I know it’s hard to police.
To me, a 101 section will be confusing because it borders on...

- oem issues (which we already have)
- forum usage questions (might belong in the comments, suggestions, forum)
- other aftermarket issues (which we already have)

Even though we make a specific sticky noting the purpose of the category, it would be hard to police. It's already hard to police the SprinterTalk section, but at least it's general enough that a lot of the threads can reside there even if it becomes a catch all or catch most.

The user can always use the search to only search within a category.

5. The available how to’s are generally at the back of sections or mixed. To find them you either search or check though all posts within a section you think applies. Could a (how to) sticky be be included at the beginning of section to include content or links of the how to’s within that section?

We can do that, but someone has to maintain the sticky. If it's a shared maintenance, then the sticky will grow into several pages. I know a lot of people will not want to read through pages of links.

There could be an FAQ, which is easier to maintain, but having links to specific threads will be a nightmare.

There are also instructional posts not labeled “how to” that could be and included. Maybe over time data can also be imported from the YahooSprinterVan site
I think a lot of people (especially HKPierce) have already tried that. The formats are so different that categorizing some of the YahooSprinterVan posts have become a problem.

We have the Sprinter-Wiki which can be formatted (right now it mirrors the forum and I've found that that may not be the best format) to accept different sources, but again it's a maintenance issue. The current Wiki format will have to change in order to easily upload information from different sources.

I'd like to get some more people's input on the categories, before making the move.

Anyone?

Seek

I find this forum easy to use and a great source of info. Once the site is read through, a bookmark or quick search usually brings up the important material. Keep up the good work...

Cheers,

Pete

Toyman

I think there are to many catagories ! To many places to look for items that MAY be of interest if you want to look thru all of the catagories to find them.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I think there are to many catagories ! To many places to look for items that MAY be of interest if you want to look thru all of the catagories to find them.
There are some categories that I think we can get rid of, but the best thing I can recommend is to use the Search Function.

Also, it's easier to move threads from Many to a Few Categories than it is vice-versa.

Since the 2007 has changed soo much I think there should be a pre 2007, and 2007 and above.
:thinking: We already have that.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
There are some categories that I think we can get rid of, but the best thing I can recommend is to use the Search Function.

Also, it's easier to move threads from Many to a Few Categories than it is vice-versa.

:thinking: We already have that.

Perhaps Kendall69 would have some guidance as to how this
North American 2002 - 2006 == T1N
North American 2007 - 200? == NCV3

might be made more clear...

-Jon

Toyman

Butttt, if you aren't looking for anything specific how do you search for it ? It is easy to search ONE catagory, if you know what you are looking for - to much structure.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Butttt, if you aren't looking for anything specific how do you search for it ?
:thinking:

Dave, I would say if someone is not looking for anything specific information and just shooting the breeze, I would go to the General Forums; Sprinter Talk, Off Topic, General RV's and Conversions. Most of the news/information can be found there.

It is easy to search ONE catagory, if you know what you are looking for - to much structure.
If you do a Search, you can either search in ALL the Categories (entire forum) or you can Search in a Specific Category (eliminating unwanted threads).

Doing a search in ALL the Categories (Forum wide, which is default) is the SAME as doing a search in the Yahoo List (which has no categories).

If there's too much structure, what do you propose in eliminating?

Seek

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Perhaps Kendall69 would have some guidance as to how this
North American 2002 - 2006 == T1N
North American 2007 - 200? == NCV3

might be made more clear...

-Jon
Thanks Jon. One of the reasons why we didn't use the "year" designation is because we have members "not from the USA" that have the new body style Sprinters that are 2006. I thought by including a picture of the front grille of the specific Sprinters would aid in the differences. :idunno:

Toyman

:thinking:

Dave, I would say if someone is not looking for anything specific information and just shooting the breeze, I would go to the General Forums; Sprinter Talk, Off Topic, General RV's and Conversions. Most of the news/information can be found there.

If you do a Search, you can either search in ALL the Categories (entire forum) or you can Search in a Specific Category (eliminating unwanted threads).

Doing a search in ALL the Categories (Forum wide, which is default) is the SAME as doing a search in the Yahoo List (which has no categories).

If there's too much structure, what do you propose in eliminating?

Seek
I think I'd start by eliminating ALL of the catagories.

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Seek, the category list is a very good one. Sometimes I think I spot something redundant or something lacking and then I discover I'm wrong.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Thanks Jon. One of the reasons why we didn't use the "year" designation is because we have members "not from the USA" that have the new body style Sprinters that are 2006. I thought by including a picture of the front grille of the specific Sprinters would aid in the differences. :idunno:

I didn't notice the grille pictures until you mentioned it. Maybe my screen resolution(s) are too high, but they don't stand out.

I whole-heartedly agree that the picture is better than the years because I greatly value postings by citizens of other nations other than my homeland. The market neutrality should not be sacrificed.

I love the universality of the grille picture. If they could be made more conspicuous, that might help.

-Jon

Top Bottom