First Transmission,then edc light, now no start HELP!!

Little help please legends,
this is cooking my brain and I'm ready to torch this thing.

timeline
bought 03 mob ex Australian ambulance been sitting 4 years and just had sprintshift replaced
2 tanks of fuel later wouldn't change gears automatically
but would change up manually and back down auto
then box started working again
close to bottom of tank of fuel stalled like it ran out of fuel as pulled into servo.
put $20 in at servo drove off fine
got to mainland 45 min up the road pulled into another servo where fuel much cheaper
full tank drove off edc light came on and stalled wouldn't start
started got 15 min up road and etc light came on again and died completely and wouldn't start
pulled water drain and put back in no start
pulled filter off realising after there was no way to prime it
scabbed fuel from filler pipe under bus
couldn't get air out of lines.
new filter new 0 rings on nearly everything, new one way valve on filter new lines, hand prime with a fluid pump got all air out
still won't start even with starter fluid..

what next guys? bit strapped for cash and need to fix it myself, will get a mobile mechanic to come with a scanner to see what codes but want to cover everything simple myself first.

bought an 03 sprinter, mob, ex Australian ambulance. it had been sitting for 4 years, and had a "new sprint shift transmission" put in just before I got it. workshop receipt for $4800. had oil in the radiator coolant filler, was told it would cycle out give it a few flushes as the cooler had just been replaced. had it for about a month and hadn't done too much driving as I live on a small island off Brisbane. but seemed to run like a dream, gearbox a little clunky. then all of a sudden wouldn't change automatically only up maualy and down auto. the rest is pretty much explained above.

D

Deleted member 50714

Sat for four years, who knows what evil lurks in the fuel tank? Remove and clean and replace fuel tank and all related lines.

Last edited by a moderator:

NORTON

It should have run for a few seconds at least with the starter fluid, did you remove the charge air hose at the inlet manifold and spray the starter fluid into the intake?

It should have run for a few seconds at least with the starter fluid, did you remove the charge air hose at the inlet manifold and spray the starter fluid into the intake?
N
No mate it would fire quickly but not run. Just sprayed into the air
intake..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Eric Experience

Meat wagon
You have to make sure you have no air leaks in the fuel lines. Did you use the correct hose clamps on the filter? Worm drive clamps will not seal against vacuum, look for air bubbles in the line going into the pumps, if you have bubbles make sure you have the factory clamps or good quality clamps that make a complete circle around the hose. If you have no bubbles then you may have a problem with the high pressure pump. If you remove the high pressure line from the pumps to the rail you can see if the pumps are working,the amount of fuel pumped is small but must be there. Eric.

Meat wagon
You have to make sure you have no air leaks in the fuel lines. Did you use the correct hose clamps on the filter? Worm drive clamps will not seal against vacuum, look for air bubbles in the line going into the pumps, if you have bubbles make sure you have the factory clamps or good quality clamps that make a complete circle around the hose. If you have no bubbles then you may have a problem with the high pressure pump. If you remove the high pressure line from the pumps to the rail you can see if the pumps are working,the amount of fuel pumped is small but must be there. Eric.
Thanks mate, no air bubbles.fukly vacuumed them through..glownplug lights on on the dash has been for some time but shouldn't really matter after winding for some time? Not very cold here. Not standard clamps but good ones. Going to do a leak off test tomorrow..been slow going to trouble shoot sorry guys I Have to catch a 30 min ferry to where it's parked.

Eric Experience

Meat wagon.
If you get it scanned all it will show is "fuel pressure is low." There are no other connections to the computer. Scanning will require you ignition to on for about 20 minutes that will further drain your battery which must be very low by now. Eric.

Meat wagon.
If you get it scanned all it will show is "fuel pressure is low." There are no other connections to the computer. Scanning will require you ignition to on for about 20 minutes that will further drain your battery which must be very low by now. Eric.
Thanks heaps your your help mate, I'm heading back over to work on it now. Went past last night and return line was empty again so still air leak somewhere. Replaced both orings on the hp pump last night and the complete hose from hp pump to rail pressure sensor and new hose from filter to LP pump and pulled diesel through the system with a pump on the tank side of return line. Didn't have time to try and start as the ferry was leaving. The only hose left to replace is the one with the dog leg on it. I've replaced orings though.

I've got a couple of batteries on rotation and have it jumped off a car as well.

It doesn't seems to be pulling diesel, or bubbles when starting, woukd that indicate pressure sensor or pump? Can I test pressure sensor with a multimeter?

lll pull the hoses off the pump if that doesnt work and see if they working.

Should I drain tank, clean and try fresh diesel and pull some unleaded or straight injector cleaner through the system to flush and put another filter?

I'll pull the maf off today and clean that too along with giving all the other sensors a hit with contact cleaner. Can this be tested with a multimeter?

The edc light came on before it **** the bed. Doesn't that indicate rail pressure sensor?

Could the transmission not auto shifting and the no start be related?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I have seen a few vans with the fuel hoses running to the tank chafed, often just under the floor. If all the other connections look good, take a look there. Even a small leak on the tank hoses will cause the system to loose its prime.

NORTON

Could the transmission not auto shifting and the no start be related?

If there is an "F" displayed in the dash in some circumstances it prevents start

Had nrma come out yesterday and plugged in a scanner. Said there are 7 fault codes but wouldn't give him a number. Said inwill need to take it to a mercedes mechanic. Reckons it's more than likely the computer.

Eric Experience

Meat wagon
Very unlikely the computer, that response is common when mechanics have no clue. Multiple codes normally is a faulty connection. Get a can of contact cleaner and then spray the contacts on the computer and then plugs on the back of the fuse panels. Eric.

Meat wagon
Very unlikely the computer, that response is common when mechanics have no clue. Multiple codes normally is a faulty connection. Get a can of contact cleaner and then spray the contacts on the computer and then plugs on the back of the fuse panels. Eric.
Yep done that. Used can of connection cleaner and hosed out every connection and plug I could find including the back of the computer
. Used maf cleaner and cleaned the maf sensor as well.

Eric Experience

Meatwagon.
This is another possibility, The tags on fuses are normally a particular thickness so they get a good contact as you press them in, Chinese fuses are thinner and do not make a good connection, you can tell by how firmly the fuse feels as you pull it. Eric.

Top Bottom