Euro headlights, Hella, Begel, Depo

notslow

I did some searching and read some old threads about the euro headlights. I can't find any info on Begel. Has anyone tried that brand? Anyone know quality? They are priced way less than the Depo or Hella. I'm sure Hella wins in quality hands down, but they are also three times more expensive.

In my area the wind and sand ruin headlights in no time, so I am leaning towards the lower price option unless they are really flawed.

https://sprintersupplier.com/product-category/lamps-light/

... I can't find any info on Begel. ...
Begel Germany is a brand name. It is not a place in Germany.

My recollection from posts here is that Begel Germany quality and fit ranges from ok, to not so great. I don't recall them getting consistently high marks, but all their products are not necessarily junk. I feel about the same for Dorman products. Many are fine, some not. I always check for reviews before purchasing.

:2cents: vic

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi

notslow

thanks Vic, I'm aware Begel is a brand, why I asked if anyone has tried that brand and linked to the headlights.
I am posting here for reviews from Sprinter owners. Don't see any reviews online for these headlights and can't find them on Amazon.
If no one on here has tried them, I may have to just order and see how it goes.

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Those lenses are extremely cheap (inexpensive). As an online retailer myself, I know what quality Sprinter parts cost and those prices are just ridiculous. However, I will say that if you were to have to replace them every year or so, you wouldn't come out too much more behind than if you had purchased the "good stuff".
I personally haven't been too impressed with the Begel products I have used and that's why I don't sell them or use them at my shop unless I have no other option.
Since we are talking about headlights, I will say that a NEW set of headlights and a pair of LED bulbs make a 1000% positive difference in night visibility. My customers are absolutely amazed at the difference when I put in new lenses and LED bulbs. I think it is the #1 best upgrade you can do to your Sprinter.

parkgt

2007 Great West Van on 2006 2500 T1N
I will say that a NEW set of headlights and a pair of LED bulbs make a 1000% positive difference in night visibility. My customers are absolutely amazed at the difference when I put in new lenses and LED bulbs. I think it is the #1 best upgrade you can do to your Sprinter.
What LED bulbs work in a T1N without creating dangerous scattered light for oncoming traffic?

notslow

I did buy some cheap clear and red taillights on ebay for 60 shipped. The fit and finish isn't up to Mercedes or Hella standards, but they look great installed and are fully functional. Huge improvement over the red and amber weathered originals.
Headlights on the other hand have a more precision job to do than taillights.

I'm also interested what led bulb will work in the sprinter.

Best price I can find on the euro Hella headlights is 333.07 shipped. About double the price of the Begel.

Last edited:

What LED bulbs work in a T1N without creating dangerous scattered light for oncoming traffic?
Hear, hear.

It seems that there are more and more vehicles on the road with headlamp types which are blinding. The obnoxious different colored ones are obviously aftermarket. I assume the widely scattered are too. It is annoying at least, and dangerous at worst.

:cheers: vic

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Well, I'm not an expert on headlight color, dispersion and whatnot. I can only say that no one flashes me and none of my friends, family or customers here in Philly have said anything to me about my headlights other than when they sit in the passenger seat or driver's seat of any of my vans say "wow! These are bright lights. Can you put them in my van?"

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
3M makes a clear film you can apply over the headlights to prevent them from being sandblasted. It's a bit annoying to replace but definitely cheaper than a set of headlights.

Well, I'm not an expert on headlight color, dispersion and whatnot. I can only say that no one flashes me and none of my friends, family or customers ...
Assuming people in Philly have good eyesight, and not just good cheesesteak, what are the products that you use?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The real question is, do these LED lamps pass headlight checks in states with more stringent inspections? If so, I would assume they meet DOT specs when installed.

I have tested a number of aftermarket lamps designs over the years (in various vehicles). The only units that cam close to the correct beam pattern in reflector housings were point-source HIDs with a shield to block emission from the tails of the arc.

Due to the parabolic nature of the reflector, the light source needs to be contained within about 2mm of the design area, or the beam pattern goes to crap.

On HIDs some folks use a high temp ceramic paint, or a bit of aluminum bent to block light strategically. Preventing the blinding glare.

Here is the 3m headlight film.
https://amzn.to/2HPpmyY

Last edited:

alexk243

KulAdventure
Well, I'm not an expert on headlight color, dispersion and whatnot. I can only say that no one flashes me and none of my friends, family or customers here in Philly have said anything to me about my headlights other than when they sit in the passenger seat or driver's seat of any of my vans say "wow! These are bright lights. Can you put them in my van?"
What LED bulbs are you using? I haven't had much luck with LED bulbs in other vehicles, but I think it's just because I am not using the right ones...

notslow

The film is a good idea. I used some way back on my car, but it eventually yellowed. I'm betting there is way better film these days.

notslow

Well CarID had the Hella headlights with clear euro lens listed on ebay for a good deal. The problem is, they slipped me the stock fresnel lens. They listed them wrong, so warning to anyone buying these from carid. They will send you the wrong ones.
does anybody know where to get the euro Hella headlights in the US, hopefully for a reasonable price?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I was under the impression that the euro lights had a different plug pin-out? The Australia lights have the same clear lens, but use the same wire/bulb config as the usa.

notslow

I was under the impression that the euro lights had a different plug pin-out? The Australia lights have the same clear lens, but use the same wire/bulb config as the usa.
Good to know. Any chance someone has the Hella part number or even the Mercedes part number?

Hear, hear.

It seems that there are more and more vehicles on the road with headlamp types which are blinding. The obnoxious different colored ones are obviously aftermarket. I assume the widely scattered are too. It is annoying at least, and dangerous at worst.

...and illegal.

There are no LED "bulbs" that are legal for use in headlight housings originally designed for incandescent bulbs.

Last edited:
:drool:
They drive on the other side of the road in Australia. Using headlights designed for driving on the wrong side of the road, is dangerous and illegal.

Top Bottom