NCV3 Espar Booster Run Mode Mods

With the proper scan tool and some modification with components and to the connector (add wire), the NCV3 Booster Heater run mode can be modified.

Thanks goes to Vavaroutsos and future contributors. :thumbup:

I finally had some time today to test my theory about how the D5 gets information from the CAN bus that determines it's behavior. The ECU of the D5 does not have any variant coding. However, it's reads variant coding from other ECU that affect it's behavior. I was able to re-program my heater booster as an aux/stationary heater and remove the 39 F limitation. Of course I had to change the dash switch and run an additional wire from the D5 to the switch. Here is the whole procedure to convert the heater booster to aux/stationary and remove the 39 F limitation:

Change these variant coding options:

EZS906_NAFTA [ignition switch]
SG 25 (STH) [stationary/aux heater] = vorhanden [available]
Länderbezogene SA Codierung MCAN [country specific SA coding] = KAN [Canada]
Länderbezogene SA-Codierung = KAN [Canada]

I'm not sure if the region coding change is necessary for the MCAN (engine CAN), but I figured I would set them both the same.

KI906 [instrument panel]
Standheizing [aux heat timer function] = vorhanden [available]

The timer is built into the instrument panel. You will find it in a menu on the high line panel. I'm not sure how it's done on the low line.

Purchase the following parts from your dealer:
1) New switch (639-545-19-07)
2) A contact spring (011-545-81-26) for switch connector
3) A contact spring for the heater B2 connector (008-545-55-26), and a seal (000-545-69-80) for the same.

Then you need to run a wire from B2-2 to SW-2. B2 is the connector on the D5. It is an AMP MQS connector which has a contact locking mechanism. Be sure to release the contact lock before trying to insert the new contact.

Now you will be able to run your heater whenever you want. I just tested it today with the outside temperature reading 46 F and it fired right up.
What's the 'go to' device for coding like this?
Per johnschmit:

You will need STAR with SDConnect C4 multiplexer.

Vediamo 5.0.5 (using .cbf files from the DAS folder)

New stack button or any other way to ground that wire for 2+ seconds.

10 min to boot that old Dell laptop and 15 seconds to change variant coding in EZS and KI modules.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

johnshmit

I would like to confirm that settings below removed 39F limitation. Great find vavaroutsos, thanks

Länderbezogene SA Codierung MCAN [country specific SA coding] = KAN [Canada]
Länderbezogene SA-Codierung = KAN [Canada]

does this mod also remove the time limit in addition to the temp restriction?

can you still use the remote and start timer?

thanks for the great info!

Last edited:

GlennR

2016 4x4 170
It allows you to use the booster heater as an auxiliary heater. Normally the booster only works when the engine is running, to help get the coolant temp up to operating temp asap.

The mod lets you use the heater when the engine isn't running.

Vanzer Pagen

It allows you to use the booster heater as an auxiliary heater. Normally the booster only works when the engine is running, to help get the coolant temp up to operating temp asap.

The mod lets you use the heater when the engine isn't running.
Now I am going to HAVE to figure this out. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a stand alone Espar or Propex. I did the simple mod of adding the resistor just to have it work above 39 ambient, but still have to have the engine running.
Thanks for the info

Vanzer Pagen

I have the stand alone HZ9 heater. Does this mod work with it?

Better question: Is there anyone in SoCal who has the tools to do the mod? I would gladly pay to have it done.

Top Bottom