Cornering lights enabled on 2016 NCV3 US Version.

JFloFoto

Finally figured out how to enable my cornering lights. It did not require a trip to the stealership, but it did require a Chinese Clone STAR device. Not really that hard and the results are cool.

Once activated, the cornering lights automatically turn on independently in the direction the wheels are pointing. Once the wheels return straight, they extinguish. The will also activated with the turn signal even at a standstill with the wheels straight.

Here's a video demonstration.

https://youtu.be/jzKlUhbT6t0

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

JFloFoto

Any tutorial on doing such with clone Star? Thanks
In order to enable the cornering lights you will need the MB Xenon light package and access to a Chinese clone MB STAR diagnostics system. You can buy these clones on Ebay, Alibaba, or AliExpress. The system consists of:

1) a laptop with MB DAS/XENTRY software loaded to communicate with your MB as well as Vediamo software to make the actual variant coding changes;

2) an SDConnect C4 multiplexer which takes signals from laptop and converts them to MB language and vice versa; and,

3) cables to connect the laptop to the SDConnect, and the SDConnect to the OBD2 socket in your van.

Here's what a typical system looks like:

Make sure the laptop is fully charged, hooked up to AC power, and all cables are connected snug. The SDConnect will start to boot up once plugged into the OBD2 socket. Turn on the laptop and wait for it to fully boot up. These old laptops that come in the system can take a while.

Open the Vediamo program. Using the CAESAR tab, click on V Ecoute. 

An empty dialog box will appear. Ignore it for now. Click on the left uppermost icon to select the correct database . Another dialog box will open. In this dialog box check the lowest box for "Systems based on DIOGENES data (.cbf files)". The dialog box should populate. The file you are looking for from the menu is called EZS906_NAFTA. 

If you're lucky, it will be there. If not, you will have to search the laptop storage for this .cbf database file. The databases preloaded on these systems cover all types of vehicles so limit your search to MB vehicles. It's there, you just have to find it. Once you find it, you can then point the Veidamo software to it and it will automatically load. Here's a YouTube I found to help you out with this step of pointing the Vediamo to the proper database for your vehicle: 

https://youtu.be/GvZpirKzKeg

Once you can load the EZS906_NAFTA database, you're home free. Just a few more steps:

1) Highlight EZS906_NAFTA and click OK. The empty dialog session box on the left will populate;

2) In the session box highlight the EZS906_NAFTA line in ECU folder and expand it;

3) Click the 3rd icon from the left which is an arrow circle with a check mark to initiate communication with the van. The other icons across the top row should enable;

4) Highlight the "Routine" subfolder in the session box;

5) Click on the icon on top row that looks like 3 boxes in a network configuration (11th from left). This will open up another dialog box where you will find the variant coding;

6) At the top of this new box is a drop down menu. You're looking for "VCD_Variantenkodierung" or variant coding. Click it;

7) The remainder of the box will populate with variant coding. The middle portion of the box shows your current settings, the bottom portion is where you can make changes;

8) In this middle box look for "Abbiegelicht gesperrt" which is German for "cornering locked". To the right you will see it coded as "ja" which means "yes" (i.e. the cornering light function is locked). This is why they don't function.

9) Go down to the bottom portion of the box and find "Abbiegelicht gesperrt" again. You will have the option to leave it "ja" or change it to "nein" or "no" to unlock. Highlight "nein".

10) At the bottom click the "ECU-Coding" enable box to effectuate the variant coding change. Click ok to the warning box that appears.

11) Voila, you did it. You can change it back if you like with no harm done.

Here's a link to a PDF with all variant codes available with english translations. VARIANT CODES EZS906_NAFTA

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
Any specific supplier recommendation for the MB Star from Ali Express? C4 adequate for 2016?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JFloFoto

Any specific supplier recommendation for the MB Star from Ali Express? C4 adequate for 2016?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mine came from CiCi Gong at the Shen Zen Gold Fei Co. Ltd.

The system works great and you can do a lot more than just turn on your cornering lamps. You get pretty much complete control over your vehicle like the dealer.

JFloFoto

Yep, but overkill IMHO. SDConnect C4 is sufficient (unless you have a brand new vehicle) and a vanilla Dell laptop would do the trick. I paid $580 with a coupon.

JFloFoto

All I can say is the C4 worked with my MY2016. No experience with the new one.

Farfrumwork

Awesome JFlo!

Can you enable mine? I'd love to have the corner lights working... it would help tremendously on trails at night (even though we really try to not be trail driving after dark - it happens)

I'd gladly compensate you for your time and use of EQ.

-Chad (in Louisville)

Just wanted to say I met up with John yesterday and he was able to turn on my cornering lights. All I can say is what a great guy he is and this feature is awesome!

Thanks again

Brett

Farfrumwork

I finally* got in touch John (JfFoFoto) and met him last weekend at his home. (*Finally on my end... he was readily available)

He was able to enable my cornering lights AND my rear fader controls (so I can now install rear speakers), as well as scan for errors.

Easy peasy - the re-coding smoothly and John's a good guy to hang out and shoot the sh!t about vans with. And he has some done some really cool stuff with his rig!

I'm going to keep trying to give him something for his efforts. He wouldn't accept any payment.

Thanks JFlo!

Mike5999

In order to enable the cornering lights you will need the MB Xenon light package and access to a Chinese clone MB STAR diagnostics system. You can buy these clones on Ebay, Alibaba, or AliExpress. The system consists of:

1) a laptop with MB DAS/XENTRY software loaded to communicate with your MB as well as Vediamo software to make the actual variant coding changes;

2) an SDConnect C4 multiplexer which takes signals from laptop and converts them to MB language and vice versa; and,

3) cables to connect the laptop to the SDConnect, and the SDConnect to the OBD2 socket in your van.

Here's what a typical system looks like:

Make sure the laptop is fully charged, hooked up to AC power, and all cables are connected snug. The SDConnect will start to boot up once plugged into the OBD2 socket. Turn on the laptop and wait for it to fully boot up. These old laptops that come in the system can take a while.

Open the Vediamo program. Using the CAESAR tab, click on V Ecoute.

An empty dialog box will appear. Ignore it for now. Click on the left uppermost icon to select the correct database . Another dialog box will open. In this dialog box check the lowest box for "Systems based on DIOGENES data (.cbf files)". The dialog box should populate. The file you are looking for from the menu is called EZS906_NAFTA.

If you're lucky, it will be there. If not, you will have to search the laptop storage for this .cbf database file. The databases preloaded on these systems cover all types of vehicles so limit your search to MB vehicles. It's there, you just have to find it. Once you find it, you can then point the Veidamo software to it and it will automatically load. Here's a YouTube I found to help you out with this step of pointing the Vediamo to the proper database for your vehicle:

Once you can load the EZS906_NAFTA database, you're home free. Just a few more steps:

1) Highlight EZS906_NAFTA and click OK. The empty dialog session box on the left will populate;

2) In the session box highlight the EZS906_NAFTA line in ECU folder and expand it;

3) Click the 3rd icon from the left which is an arrow circle with a check mark to initiate communication with the van. The other icons across the top row should enable;

4) Highlight the "Routine" subfolder in the session box;

5) Click on the icon on top row that looks like 3 boxes in a network configuration (11th from left). This will open up another dialog box where you will find the variant coding;

6) At the top of this new box is a drop down menu. You're looking for "VCD_Variantenkodierung" or variant coding. Click it;

7) The remainder of the box will populate with variant coding. The middle portion of the box shows your current settings, the bottom portion is where you can make changes;

8) In this middle box look for "Abbiegelicht gesperrt" which is German for "cornering locked". To the right you will see it coded as "ja" which means "yes" (i.e. the cornering light function is locked). This is why they don't function.

9) Go down to the bottom portion of the box and find "Abbiegelicht gesperrt" again. You will have the option to leave it "ja" or change it to "nein" or "no" to unlock. Highlight "nein".

10) At the bottom click the "ECU-Coding" enable box to effectuate the variant coding change. Click ok to the warning box that appears.

11) Voila, you did it. You can change it back if you like with no harm done.

Here's a link to a PDF with all variant codes available with english translations. VARIANT CODES EZS906_NAFTA

Hope this helps.

do you have a new link for this? VARIANT CODES EZS906_NAFTA

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Google docs is now showing that file as being "in the Owner's Trash"
would it be possible to upload it to the Sprinter Forum for more permanent access?
(or send a copy to rseymour (at) wolfenet.com and i'll upload it.)

thanks
--dick (echoing Mike5999's request)

Top Bottom