Reverse wire for camera

Kenpho10

What wire can I use in the front of the van dash to tap my rear view camera to ( I need the reverse wire). Thanks

flman

Either one of the backup lights, the backup system should have a relay, so you will only be supplying the signal.

Kenpho10

I use the white wire with thin blue line. That's the wire(+) for the reverse warning module/horn. It is located on the driver side at the pillar or under the dash board. Hopefully that helps.

sliver

I use the white wire with thin blue line. That's the wire(+) for the reverse warning module/horn. It is located on the driver side at the pillar or under the dash board. Hopefully that helps.
What model is your van? I wasn't aware there is a reverse warning module/horn. Is that an option, and is that white/blue wire there even if the option is not installed?

Tc3

It's in the drivers side kick panel. White w blue stipe.
Just did mine a couple weeks back.

F2ca170

My backup warning horn beeper has a feature that it will operate in half volume (loudness) if you put it in reverse twice in short succession. I wonder if the white wire with blue line drops the voltage to make that happen? If it does, then that wire might not always have full voltage on it when using that feature.

I've read where folks use a connection at the gear shifter for a reverse signal.

Last edited:

ptheland

2013 144" low top Passgr
My backup warning horn beeper has a feature that it will operate in half volume (loudness) if you put it in reverse twice in short succession. I wonder if the white wire with blue line drops the voltage to make that happen?
No, it does not. That is the power to the backup lights.

AFAIK, Sprinters do not have a backup beeper from the factory - at least not in North America. So your backup beeper is probably an aftermarket item. Since it takes two quick shifts into reverse to drop the beeper volume, that is likely a logic circuit inside the aftermarket unit.

F2ca170

"No, it does not. That is the power to the backup lights."

Oh, I thought it was determined that the white with blue stripe wire was for the feed to the backup horn/beeper (stated in the third post).

As for the backup horn/beeper being available in NA as an OEM item......

My owners manual tells about the double shift into "R" will drop the volume, and my beeper has OEM wiring. Running the VIN number at the website that shows the build of the van ( https://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/mercedes/vin_check ) shows "JW0 - BACKUP WARNING SYSTEM" as a factory installed feature on my VIN. So mine seems to be factory OEM. It was a van built for Freightliner for use in North America. This is listed on the build sheet to verify such: ZU8 - USA COUNTRY VERSION and ZX9 - FREIGHTLINER EXECUTION.

Someone else asked a while back why I had white steel wheels, that those were only on Fedex vans in North America. Yet my build sheet shows RM2 - STEEL WHEELS ARCTIC WHITE as the factory installed wheels.

So it really boils down too.... if you get a van that was built for a particular customer in NA, you might have stuff that doesn't come standard (or isn't even available) when an individual person is buying just one of them. Difference in regular Sales and Fleet Sales

Last edited:

ptheland

2013 144" low top Passgr
As for the backup horn/beeper being available in NA as an OEM item......

My owners manual tells about the double shift into "R" will drop the volume, and my beeper has OEM wiring. Running the VIN number at the website that shows the build of the van ( https://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/mercedes/vin_check ) shows "JW0 - BACKUP WARNING SYSTEM" as a factory installed feature on my VIN.
Looks like I'm learning something the hard way again. :bash: Sorry about the mistake.

I'm pretty sure I've heard others mention the white/blue wire as the power to the white backup lights. But I suppose I could be mis-remembering that, too.

However, for purposes of attaching a trigger for a backup camera, I doubt that the exact voltage on the signal line is all that important. As long as its significantly different from ground, I suspect any voltage is fine.

F2ca170

However, for purposes of attaching a trigger for a backup camera, I doubt that the exact voltage on the signal line is all that important. As long as its significantly different from ground, I suspect any voltage is fine.
Agreed! It may just need a DC logic high signal (usually .6vdc or higher) to trigger.

brassmonkey001

UK 2008 NCV3 518 CDI
My backup warning horn beeper has a feature that it will operate in half volume (loudness) if you put it in reverse twice in short succession. I wonder if the white wire with blue line drops the voltage to make that happen? If it does, then that wire might not always have full voltage on it when using that feature.

I've read where folks use a connection at the gear shifter for a reverse signal.
I'll give that a try, mine seems to be ridiculously loud!

mbounds

So I used this blue/white reverse wire to wire in my signal for my aftermarket (stock location) backup camera. It seemed to have worked for awhile but was hit or miss. Now when placing the vehicle into reverse the camera does not activate unless the headlights are on. Any suggestions?

Top Bottom