Oil change gone awry

sprinterPaul

Simple job, right? I've been changing my own oil for 60 years, but because this was going it the first time for a Sprinter I thought I'd check here first. GLAD I DID!! I think I could have screwed it up.
Norm
Going to check before changing trans fluid too.

The transmission is significantly more complicated than changing oil. Definitely in the realm of diy. But your checklist is much longer. I have the 7 speed. The 5 may be easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lindenengineering

The transmission is significantly more complicated than changing oil. Definitely in the realm of diy. But your checklist is much longer. I have the 7 speed. The 5 may be easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes with a 7 speeder you need a special pump injection tool!
MB has joined the gang!
Just like ZF,& Fords & Chevs etc, plus scan tool..Mustn't forget a scan tool.
Only Toyota/Lexus still retains the ubiquitous level plug!
Just like 60 years ago really when as a 9 year old I checked the gearbox oil level in a 1936 Hillman Minx in my dad's shop. And that was with a 3/8th Whitworth spanner!:laughing:
All gone now!
Its called progress and DIY'rs are nowadays tolerated--just!

Dennis

Ldfeat

Steps I took:

1. Removed drain plug over a big bucket.

2. Removed oil filter with special to sprinter wrench,

3. Let oil drain overnight and replaced drain plug with new crush washer.

4. Replaced the tiny "O" ring and the large "O" ring on the filter housing. Inserted the new "MANN FILTER no. HU821x" (made in Bosnia and Herzegovina) into the housing. Inserted the combo unit into the housing base and screwed down, no problem. put filter wrench on and snugged it up, replace air filter, added 12 qts. of oil and closed the hood. Did not try it at that time.

Today: Stared the engine to make some radio adjustments, heard weird noise coming from engine compartment, rushed around to open the hood, saw oil being flung everywhere and heard the noise coming from the oil filter. Shut off the engine and stood there looking completely bewildered. Easy job, I had even watched a youtube. There is a puddle of oil under the van in a hole the dogs had dug. The radiator fan spread the oil all over the front of the engine bay. No oil shows on the dipstick, not even a drop of clean new oil. The oil in the puddle was a clear gray (new oil). Old black oil still in the bucket. I took the filter back out and everything seems OK. I don't even know how much oil is still in the engine. What could have gone wrong. :idunno:

Gene
That filter will fool you into thinking it is torqued enough against the the engine block. The first time I changed it, something didn't look right. The filter seemed a little elevated. I used a mirror and flashlight to check the bottom of the filter and noticed a 1/16"-to1/8" gap between the bottom of the filter and the engine. So, I torqued it some more (no torque wrench) until the two surfaces mated, then did a leak check with mirror and flashlight with engine running. DIYer beware. Larry, 2014 Reyo P

lindenengineering

That might suggest!!
An oil filter that was NOT of the right specification/dimension and by snugging it down you have crushed the filtration matrix.
What brand was it?
Prudence tells me you should remove it and check for any deformation.
Dennis

D

Deleted member 50714

That might suggest!!
An oil filter that was NOT of the right specification/dimension and by snugging it down you have crushed the filtration matrix.
What brand was it?
Prudence tells me you should remove it and check for any deformation.
Dennis
Yes! OEM only way to go. Who brands their filters for MB or do they manufacture in house? Hengest and Mann?

My experience is a visual inspection of the final filter assembly installation imperative. On the aircraft realm, this crucial detail, an inspection point requiring QA approval prior to engine power-out. DO NOT rely soley on torque wrench indications as torque required to overcome filter assembly installation may exceed final torque value.

Additionally, I noticed that the filter assembly bottoms-out-hard. Note: I Did not use a torque wrench to install filter assembly. Calibrated elbow. Once it bottomed out, I stopped. There exists no gap between the mating of the two assemblies, but have no clue if this is correct? It has not leaked a drop the last 3 change-outs.

Any thoughts?

I h

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom