where to place mini split condenser

I'd be surprised if any of the mini-split manufacturers will honor a warranty on a van installation, so I have been looking at units such as the Pioneer sold on Amazon or the highseer website, but these do not provide heat at low temps. Sigh...

Whoever goes first, please post pics and an evaluation of the performance?
Good point. The bouncing of the vehicle may even quickly pop the internal compressor spring mounts (if that is the design). I've seen far less shock loads do that.

I wonder if the compressor assembly could be mounted on trucker bungees or similar forgiving stretch mounting? It would require some lateral stabilization... maybe more bungees?

Mostly just thinking out loud. :idunno:

vic

floydturbo

Folsom, CA 2015 w170ex i4
I have not yet hooked up the evaporator in the van yet. I am trying to finish my handicap bathroom remodel/addition.

Attachments

ColoradoTom

Some notes about my install:

-the unit is 120v and slowly ramps up to about 800 watts when the compressor turns on.
-keeps my dark van with dark tinted windows "liveable" in the sun.
-both indoor and outdoor units are very quiet.
-although the indoor unit is right over our heads while sleeping, the sound is not an issue, the refrigerant cycling through the coils can actually be heard as its running.
-the sweep of the air pattern can be adjusted so that the cool air flowing from the unit will not hit us while we are sleeping.
-I built the platform specifically for this purpose.
-the outdoor unit is piped (liquid and suction lines) with 6' long flexible stainless steel lines so I "could" move it from the platform if needed without kinking the copper line set.

dynaco1

Tom
How did the flexible SS line set enter the cabin?
Was the SS line set a turnkey factory kit?
Have you tried powering it with a Honda eu2000?
Which brand HVAC did you purchase ?

Last edited:

ColoradoTom

I drilled a 3" hole in the floor of the van, the liquid, suction, and condensate drain run through that hole.
I used the copper lineset that came with the unit to a point 2' past where the lines come out of the van. I then shortened these lines and had a local HVAC tech silver solder the copper lines to a flex line set made by Rectorseal, specifically for split mini systems. The whole thing was nitrogen pressure tested, vacuumed out and filled with refrigerant. The outdoor unit comes precharged so it's just a matter of opening a valve to fill the system.

I do not have the eu2000i yet but by the readings I have been taking, it should be no problem.
The indoor and outdoor unit are a set purchased on eBay or Amazon for $600 delivered. "Senville" brand, they claim it has a Mitsubishi compressor but I don't know.

floydturbo

finally LG mini split functioning

I finally got my LG 120v mini split heat pump installed and working. Although the van was 70 degrees, I set the desired temp to 64 degrees and the unit brought down the temperature. The indoor unit is virtually silent and the outside unit is quiet with a little buzz due to the installation. I was happy to see that it was only pulling 37 amps from the Magnum MS2000 inverter. I mounted the condenser at a 15 degree list off horizontal and time will tell if it works or fails.

Attachments

ColoradoTom

A little update on this:
The harsh amounts of road salt they use here in NJ has caused the low quality copper line set that connects the outdoor unit to the indoor unit to pit and fail. I replaced the line set with a US made 100% copper set and hope to get 2 more years out of this. I am amazed at how silent and efficient these $600 eBay units are. I have now installed 5 of these units, 1 being the first one in the van.

floydturbo

Update, LG mini split cooling van all summer

I installed a 1 ton 120volt mini split heat pump in my 170ext van with the condenser mounted in place of the spare tire and the indoor unit at the back door. The condenser is non conventional and in my instance has worked all summer. It is placed at about 15 degrees off horizontal. The system keeps the van cool in 105 degree days.

Attachments

pdxhiker

Re: Update, LG mini split cooling van all summer

I installed a 1 ton 120volt mini split heat pump in my 170ext van with the condenser mounted in place of the spare tire and the indoor unit at the back door. The condenser is non conventional and in my instance has worked all summer. It is placed at about 15 degrees off horizontal. The system keeps the van cool in 105 degree days.
I think this is a good idea to keep the compressor coolant in-spec since most split-ac compressors use vertical oriented condenser. Question is if 15* tilt is sufficient or not.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Oil pooling, and poor condenser performance are risks. There are others if the compressor is not mounted in the correct orientation. The reality is that these units are designed to run a very long time. Given the limited runtime most will see in a van application, the reduction in life (if any) probably won't be noticeable.

Hopefully 15 degrees is enough to allow the liquid refrigerant to pool at the condenser outlet.

pdxhiker

Oil pooling, and poor condenser performance are risks. There are others if the compressor is not mounted in the correct orientation. The reality is that these units are designed to run a very long time. Given the limited runtime most will see in a van application, the reduction in life (if any) probably won't be noticeable.

Hopefully 15 degrees is enough to allow the liquid refrigerant to pool at the condenser outlet.
These mini-splits go for $1k to $1.5k, I think buying refurb unit is the way to go since the warranty is voided in van use. If the compressor fails in coupele of years just install a new one.

D

Deleted member 50714

Currious, what is the ground clearance, does it extend it below rear-end pumpkin? And, why the tilt? Seems if level is an issue which, I have always read it is, why not keep the unit level for optimal operation and service life?

Attachments

ColoradoTom

Floyd and I are both running a split mini typical to what you would see on a home or small office. The outdoor unit is designed to mount or sit vertically, like you see on my setup. Floyd has chosen to mount his unit closer to horizontal under the van. This saves space and eliminates need for bulky hitch mount I made for mine. As others mentioned, idk how the compressor will react to being run on that angle as opposed to traditional, but I like that it saves space.

TooMuchHair

A little update on this:
The harsh amounts of road salt they use here in NJ has caused the low quality copper line set that connects the outdoor unit to the indoor unit to pit and fail. I replaced the line set with a US made 100% copper set and hope to get 2 more years out of this. I am amazed at how silent and efficient these $600 eBay units are. I have now installed 5 of these units, 1 being the first one in the van.
Colorado Tom Did the road salt get to your copper lines in a place that was fully insulated or somewhere that was exposed?
Thanks for all of your information, you too Floyd.
:cheers:

Top Bottom