FS: original Kerstner air conditioner

Next week I am having my Kerstner AC removed and replaced with a Penguin. I live in Southern California. I am also going to pull the inverters. I was told by OLDWest :thumbup: to inform the group.

The AC unit worked but would shut down after 10 min of use:bash:. I have the cover as well!

I would prefer to sell everything as one package. PM or reply on here.:cheers:

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Thanks for offering to other Westy owners.

The cover is probably the most valued part so hopefully the shop takes good care of it (removes by just unscrewing 6 screws). There are also some threads on how to strengthen/reinforce the screwholes in the cover, including OneManVan's fiberglass patches.

We actually have two Meanwell converters in the hot water tank area (converters.convert 120v to 12v). By using switches to redirect the output from the converters to the batteries (instead od the air conditioner), OneManVan uses them to bulk-charge the batteries quickly (versus the charger at 10 amps). Note that OneManVan has AGM house batteries which can take and like high amp charging versus original gel batteries which do NOT.

I would love to have/buy the AC cover. I have been looking for one for the past year. I live in Oregon and would be happy to pay for shipping.
Please let me know.
Cheers, Brennan

If you could get the electric motor off I would take that as well. The whole unit is just so large and heavy to ship anywhere. Let me know.
thanks, Brennan

DGMorrisSF

I am thinking about taking on this project (swapping out the Kerstner unit for a Penguin) but before I take the plunge I wanted to tap the collective wisdom here for:
1. Anyone know anyone in NoCal who refurbishes the Kerstner unit?
2. Anyone who undertakes this type of project professionally?
3. Anyone who has done this who could serve as a project mentor?
I’m handy enough but this is a big project for me and so I’d like as much insight as possible BEFORE ripping open the roof. Thanks in advance!

onemanvan

Thanks for offering to other Westy owners.

The cover is probably the most valued part so hopefully the shop takes good care of it (removes by just unscrewing 6 screws). There are also some threads on how to strengthen/reinforce the screwholes in the cover, including OneManVan's fiberglass patches.

We actually have two Meanwell converters in the hot water tank area (converters.convert 120v to 12v). By using switches to redirect the output from the converters to the batteries (instead od the air conditioner), OneManVan uses them to bulk-charge the batteries quickly (versus the charger at 10 amps). Note that OneManVan has AGM house batteries which can take and like high amp charging versus original gel batteries which do NOT.
I replaced my AGM batteries with lithium a few years ago. I am now using the Mean Well power supplies ( converters ) when I'm on shore power to charge the lithium batteries VIA the Kisae DMT-1250 dc to dc charger. The Kisae can also charge the batteries via alternator & solar. More info on how to do this can be found via this link:

Bernd Pfrommer

As one of the few Westy owners who has swapped out the AC by myself:
If you have very deep pockets you can probably find a professional who will install a new AC for you with decent quality. The problem with this job is
1) it involves electrical, roofing, and carpentry skills, and also working with fiber glass. That doesn't fall into the common categories for home improvement contractors. You will probably look at hiring an RV repair pro. Those are in very high demand.
2) It is fairly tedious to do right. It took me about 3 weeks working maybe 5h a day. Granted I work slowly and often sit there pondering what the best solution is before I go ahead. Then also you have to wait for glue, paint, or fiber glass to dry. Then there are trips to the hardware store, to get more fiber glass etc. Also I spent a lot of timer researching online what the right wire sizes are, the best fiber glass, and searching the sprinter forum back and forth. It just all adds up.
My wild guess is that a pro would charge you anywhere between $5-$10k for labor only. Then the question is what quality they will deliver for that price. Will it leak? Will the roof start bending under the weight because they skimped on supports? I just didn't want to take my chances with it.

If you search this forum you will find reports of several AC replacement projects. If you take it on yourself I can assure you you'll get good responses on this forum if you post your problems. I'll certainly be responding to your questions.

DGMorrisSF

As one of the few Westy owners who has swapped out the AC by myself:
If you have very deep pockets you can probably find a professional who will install a new AC for you with decent quality. The problem with this job is
1) it involves electrical, roofing, and carpentry skills, and also working with fiber glass. That doesn't fall into the common categories for home improvement contractors. You will probably look at hiring an RV repair pro. Those are in very high demand.
2) It is fairly tedious to do right. It took me about 3 weeks working maybe 5h a day. Granted I work slowly and often sit there pondering what the best solution is before I go ahead. Then also you have to wait for glue, paint, or fiber glass to dry. Then there are trips to the hardware store, to get more fiber glass etc. Also I spent a lot of timer researching online what the right wire sizes are, the best fiber glass, and searching the sprinter forum back and forth. It just all adds up.
My wild guess is that a pro would charge you anywhere between $5-$10k for labor only. Then the question is what quality they will deliver for that price. Will it leak? Will the roof start bending under the weight because they skimped on supports? I just didn't want to take my chances with it.

If you search this forum you will find reports of several AC replacement projects. If you take it on yourself I can assure you you'll get good responses on this forum if you post your problems. I'll certainly be responding to your questions.
THANK YOU!! Very grateful in advance!! I have experience with boat building and in some ways this seems similar to a boat restoration project... I'll be starting the project in mid July. Need to see what the back-order on the parts is...

Bernd Pfrommer

THANK YOU!! Very grateful in advance!! I have experience with boat building and in some ways this seems similar to a boat restoration project... I'll be starting the project in mid July. Need to see what the back-order on the parts is...
Also consider going with a 12V unit. Not only because the existing Kerstner is 12V but because from what I can tell it's a growing trend. In combination with lithium batteries you can run the AC off batteries during the night. That can indeed make a big difference for your camping experience if you happen to not have a hookup.

DGMorrisSF

Also consider going with a 12V unit. Not only because the existing Kerstner is 12V but because from what I can tell it's a growing trend. In combination with lithium batteries you can run the AC off batteries during the night. That can indeed make a big difference for your camping experience if you happen to not have a hookup.
Curious if others have experience with the Nomadic systems? https://www.nomadiccooling.com/collections/air-conditioners

Bernd Pfrommer

Curious if others have experience with the Nomadic systems? https://www.nomadiccooling.com/collections/air-conditioners
There is one video where the Nomadic guys actually recommend the RTX 2000 over their own system. Not very confidence inspiring. Also consider that Nomadic is not that well established. If they drop out of the market you may have a hard time getting service or replacement parts. Also it seemed harder to install. That's why I went with the RTX 2000 but I'm not perfectly happy with the noise level of that one.

DGMorrisSF

Hi all. We may be undertaking a "last-ditch" rehab/recondition effort on the original Kerstner unit before giving up and taking on the full replace. Some fiddling indicated that the compressor and fan motors are still functional so let's see. Will post pix. Does anyone have access to schematics or any sort of manual. German language is ok - not preferred, but ok... Wish us luck!!

DGMorrisSF

One other question - does anyone have a photo of the original AC covering unit. Also considering a small fabrication of a replacement if it doesn't look too awful (considering carbon fiber or regular fiberglass). Thanks in advance. Wouldn't even consider without the support of this amazing community! :)

Allobet

One other question - does anyone have a photo of the original AC covering unit. Also considering a small fabrication of a replacement if it doesn't look too awful (considering carbon fiber or regular fiberglass). Thanks in advance. Wouldn't even consider without the support of this amazing community! :)
Did anyone send you a pic? I just lost mine

Top Bottom