Aftermarket Windows & Ventilation

isdehart

Hi All -

How important is having 2 open-able windows facing each-other for draft/cooling purposes inside van?

Do you think having 1 window that opens + ceiling vent fans will be enough for ventilation?

Any suggestions where to buy affordable aftermarket windows for 2006 dodge 140"?

Thanks in advance!

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Cross ventilation requires pretty large vent area in moderate to light winds. With a roof vent fan I would place windows where you need them for ventilation. The fan will take care of moving the air.

Skippy and Emu

Naturally vented fresh air is always the best way to go, but, not always possible. I reserved all my roof real estate for solar panels ...... so I can't have any stealthy roof vents. I have one sliding window in the passenger side sliding door. Reasonably stealthy when opened, but no good in heavy rain, and also perhaps, undesirable to leave open whilst sleeping. I also have tinted acrylic weathershields fitted to both front doors. This allows me to leave both front windows down about a 100mm ( 4 inches ). Rain cannot enter, and the partially opened windows are not noticeable from the outside. I have magnetic flyscreens attached inside.These 3 fresh air openings, in conjunction with the 3 Caframo fans that I have, is usually sufficient most of the time.
When it is really hot, I turn on the bilge blower. What bilge blower, you may ask ?
It's mounted on the cab headliner, just behind the passenger seat. A marine bilge blower, that sucks air in thru the partially opened passenger window, and blows it down the back of the van. It then bounces off the back doors of the van, and exits via the partially opened Drivers window. I carry a short length of flexible ducting. I can connect the ducting to the outlet of the blower, if I want to direct the incoming air to a specific area in the vehicle. Draws about 3 amps on 12V. It's very noisy, but shifts a serious amount of air!
Of course, I have thought about floor vents, and hidden vents behind the rear door number plate etc. I prefer not to cut any holes in the sprinter if possible.

john61ct

MaxxAir or Fantastic fan mounted high, any opening as opposite as possible.

Very rarely are the high-CFM top settings required, but great to have available when needed.

grantwilson

FreedomVanGo
I found that one window and a fan is the best option. when i opened more i found a drop in the breeze inside the van

robzr

Hi All -

How important is having 2 open-able windows facing each-other for draft/cooling purposes inside van?

Do you think having 1 window that opens + ceiling vent fans will be enough for ventilation?

Any suggestions where to buy affordable aftermarket windows for 2006 dodge 140"?

Thanks in advance!
What climates are you expecting to be in?

Our 170” has two Maxair roof vents and three CRL tilt out windows. We’re still early in ownership, on our fourth trip or so, but in San Felipe (Baja Mexico), with some pretty hot sun. A few things to consider:
- Depending where you are staying, you may not have much choice on whether you park your van relative to the direction of the wind. Don’t count on the wind always hitting your van sides. If you plan on being in hot climates I’d consider the Motion rear door sliders.
- Nothing will come remotely close to having the rear or slider door(s) open. You can get mosquito netting for either, though it won’t offer any security from large, dishonest or potentially violent mammals.
- The fans, at least our Maxairs, are somewhat loud, especially past the low setting. Turning them up is very much diminishing returns, the airflow doesn’t increase as much as the noise and amp draw.
- Speaking of amp draw, they are 3-ish amps on high, each. Factor that into your battery bank sizing.
- If your sitting in the sun, strongly consider UV reflecting window tint and/or window insulators. And if you’re going to use window insulators, you can’t see through them, and they won’t work as well as your main wall insulation. Windows are a double edged sword, they add venting, but also reduce insulation and increase thermal transfer (not to mention, decrease security). The half slider motion windows seem practical for those reasons.
- For a few hours a day, I’m envious of the couple next to us in their air conditioned trailer. But then again, they sit in their air conditioned trailer all day long, seems like they could have just stayed home.

Two 14” roof fans side by side would probably move a lot more air, much quieter and using less power than one on high. Not sure if anyone makes vents larger than standard 14”, but that would be worth considering.

Rob

isdehart

Thanks. Ordered a CRL drivers side short with an open-able bottom left corner. Figured if the door is open that creates opportunity for a cross breeze. Pair that with the stock fedex vent fan near the front and an aftermarket fan like maxxfan over the bed area towards the rear.

Onefin

Have you looked at https://www.ternoverland.com/arctic-tern-window ?

Not fully openable but it’s 60 degrees and a full awning window, with integrated screen and shade. We are very happy with ours.

Would you mind sharing more photos of your windows? Both interior and exterior?
I’m trying to decide between these and the 10x36 sliders.
Do you feel the build quality is high enough to account for all the moving parts of the screens and sliders?
I have a 6 year old kid.....she’s good, but she’s still a kid.

dttocs

Would you mind sharing more photos of your windows? Both interior and exterior?
I’m trying to decide between these and the 10x36 sliders.
Do you feel the build quality is high enough to account for all the moving parts of the screens and sliders?
I have a 6 year old kid.....she’s good, but she’s still a kid.
My install is on a promaster, more details at promasterforum until I get around to creating my own website.

Build quality is good, but it’s not bombproof. I haven’t had mine for long enough to be sure about longevity but I haven’t seen any complaints from others, and they’re widely used in Australia and have been for a few years.

I put in two CRL windows on the drivers side with the small tilting vents. They are too small to let in a lot of air, they are secure and I can leave them open for most of the summer but they don't allow a lot of air in. I put Velcro attached screens on them to keep out the bugs.

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Is there something that keeps a roof fan from pulling air thru the dash ventilation? Do you need a window open?

-Randy

robzr

What climates are you expecting to be in?

Our 170” has two Maxair roof vents and three CRL tilt out windows. We’re still early in ownership, on our fourth trip or so, but in San Felipe (Baja Mexico), with some pretty hot sun. A few things to consider:
- Depending where you are staying, you may not have much choice on whether you park your van relative to the direction of the wind. Don’t count on the wind always hitting your van sides. If you plan on being in hot climates I’d consider the Motion rear door sliders.
- Nothing will come remotely close to having the rear or slider door(s) open. You can get mosquito netting for either, though it won’t offer any security from large, dishonest or potentially violent mammals.
- The fans, at least our Maxairs, are somewhat loud, especially past the low setting. Turning them up is very much diminishing returns, the airflow doesn’t increase as much as the noise and amp draw.
- Speaking of amp draw, they are 3-ish amps on high, each. Factor that into your battery bank sizing.
- If your sitting in the sun, strongly consider UV reflecting window tint and/or window insulators. And if you’re going to use window insulators, you can’t see through them, and they won’t work as well as your main wall insulation. Windows are a double edged sword, they add venting, but also reduce insulation and increase thermal transfer (not to mention, decrease security). The half slider motion windows seem practical for those reasons.
- For a few hours a day, I’m envious of the couple next to us in their air conditioned trailer. But then again, they sit in their air conditioned trailer all day long, seems like they could have just stayed home.

Two 14” roof fans side by side would probably move a lot more air, much quieter and using less power than one on high. Not sure if anyone makes vents larger than standard 14”, but that would be worth considering.

Rob
I can't edit my original post but wanted to make a couple corrections
- we have Fan-Tastic vents, not Maxxairs
- looks like Motion only makes rear door slider windows for T1N's :(

Those Arctic Tern windows look like a no brainer, as long as the installation isn't a dealbreaker. Double Pane would be so nice, and a built in reflective sun shade would be huge as well.

One of our Fantastic's is having issues with the rain sensor, we haven't seen rain in over a week but it keeps closing... I need to get up there and see if it has sand/salt all over it, but it's getting frustrating. Got me thinking how nice those Maxxair fans with the built in rain cover must be.......

Rob

Attachments

Top Bottom