1 lb propane bottle fueled generator

rollerbearing

I have been keeping an eye open for something like this. A very small portable inverter generator running from a 1 lb propane bottle or a BBQ tank with an adapter hose.

25 lbs weight, 700 watts run, 900 watts start, 3 hr runtime on 1 lb at 175 watts.

It's not going to run an AC. It will run a coffee maker, small microwave, induction cooktop, charge house batteries (through converter), CPAP, box fan, small power tools etc.

Using as a booster to an existing solar&battery setup could run some pretty large loads for short periods of time.

Could be a good backup power source (to solar) for those in the rainy northwest or snowy winter camping.

Propane means no fuel gumming or special storage/exercise protocols for generator. Disconnect and put it away with no "stink" , leak, or spill issues.

Could easily replace all those noisy smelly 800w cheap 2 stroke units out there.

$299 by Ryobi available at HomeDepot

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-9...RCH=REC-_-rv_homepage_rr-_-NA-_-302703564-_-N

Last edited:

SprinterSnale

'05 T1N 3500 - NorCalSprinterCampout
That's a cool tiny genny. Hard to find decibel specs, but one guy measured it at 61dB at 7 meters. Better than a Habor Fright (sic) I reckon. You could buy these (kidding)https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-Tek4-Audio-Plus-Noise-Suppression-Headphones-RP4530/100671268

No gasoline is a plus plus. Less smell plus.

Could be a good solution for newer vans avoiding idling (which is how I do it in the T1N when the enchiladas are frozen solid.) There are significant elecrical savings benefits to butane stovetops, a kettle and a melitta.

Gpaw68

2015 144 4cyl high roof
A little bit bigger say 1200 watts would be the perfect emergency generator. Not sure 700 would run a microwave.

Don't people routinely convert larger Honda petrol generators to propane?
I converted 2 Honda EU2000i's to propane, that can be paired together for 4k watts.
They are very quiet, and the setup that I created allows me to run 1 or both off of a 20lb tank, or even a 1lb tank.

That Ryobi is a great buy, the Honda's were very expensive and the propane conversion kits were over $100 each. Hopefully they'll come out with a 2k model that would run also run off a 1lb tank.

Here is one that is dual fuel and 2200 watts:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sportsman-2-200-Watt-Dual-Fuel-LPG-Gasoline-Powered-Recoil-Start-Portable-Digital-Inverter-Generator-with-Parallel-Capability-803044/303325924

rollerbearing

Unless your loads are very small, I don't really see this thing being used as a generator replacement, rather more as an adjunct to an existing (generatorless) solar system.

And in that role I think it may be pretty appropriately sized. Realize that Graphite Dave is ultimately running his 600W/1000W(real) microwave with a 300 w generator after all. It's just in the form of a solar panel or a Samlex inverter with a battery bank as an energy accumulator.

In terms of energy density this thing runs 3hrs at 175 watts per 1lb tank giving about 525 watthrs. If that were a 12 v lead acid battery that would be about 40 AH. Assume 50% depth of discharge you'd be looking at about an 80AH or 24DC group size battery weighing 54lbs. This thing weighs in at about half that.

Instead of adding another battery or adding another panel (to non existant roof space) this could be a clean, cheap, small, light weight, convenient adjunct to a solar system when the sun isn't shining as much as you'd like, or you'd just like to get/keep a little more juice in your battery bank.

The unfortunate downside of running a dual fuel, or any genarator on propane is around a 10% drop in efficiency/power over gasoline, which translates into less watts/amps to run appliances on.

Top Bottom