15 inch Tire Options for 2500s in N. America

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Is the passenger side rear wheel considered the drive side?
No. Both sides should drive equally.

My tires are wearing unevenly. They are directional and have been rotated every 5000 miles. Pass side at 3/32 tread left, the other three tires at 7/32 tread left.
It sounds like your rear axle is out of alignment. Check Dennis' comments on sheared location lugs to road springs (Tappers and Shunters Club).

Keith.

zurvan7

I have 03 Fr.Sprinter 2500 118"wb 15"wheels. How does the Nokian Rotiiva AT LT235/75R15 E fits in the spare tire cage? Does it fit? Thank you

Update: The second set of Nokian tires I had on my truck lasted 42,000 miles/ 3.5 years. I looked for new 15" tires to find there are less choices now then 4 years ago. I installed 4 new Nokian 225 70 R 15 C 112 - 110 S(which means carrying a load 2337 - 2469 lbs.), model WRC3 tires. They are Load D rated, mud and snow. $175 each. Nokian only makes about 5000 year.

I wasn't thrilled with the first set I had. They developed dry rot at 35,000 miles so I got a new set. That second set had one of four wear at a faster rate than the others. The passenger steering tire was scalloping on the outer edge by the time I replaced it I had gone 15,000 mile since I first noticed a pull to that side. The technician found a loose inner tie rod arm. All has been replaced and realigned. 4 tires made at the same time of year in 2017.

I wanted to find something else but I have to admit in going with Nokians I knew I'd feel secure and not waste time searching and guessing. I've never had a flat with them, have maxed out the weight limits, ok over gravel, I've had very good handling and tracking on very wet roads, in wind and on wet grass, even fairly good in snow. I hope this new model lasts longer.

Update: The second set of Nokian tires I had on my truck lasted 42,000 miles/ 3.5 years. I looked for new 15" tires to find there are less choices now then 4 years ago. I installed 4 new Nokian 225 70 R 15 C 112 - 110 S(which means carrying a load 2337 - 2469 lbs.), model WRC3 tires. They are Load D rated, mud and snow. $175 each. Nokian only makes about 5000 year.

I wasn't thrilled with the first set I had. They developed dry rot at 35,000 miles so I got a new set. That second set had one of four wear at a faster rate than the others. The passenger steering tire was scalloping on the outer edge by the time I replaced it I had gone 15,000 mile since I first noticed a pull to that side. The technician found a loose inner tie rod arm. All has been replaced and realigned. 4 tires made at the same time of year in 2017.

I wanted to find something else but I have to admit in going with Nokians I knew I'd feel secure and not waste time searching and guessing. I've never had a flat with them, have maxed out the weight limits, ok over gravel, I've had very good handling and tracking on very wet roads, in wind and on wet grass, even fairly good in snow. I hope this new model lasts longer.
I wanted to get those too but there are none in Colorado, I ended up getting the Rotiva AT in the 235/75R15. I really like that my speedometer is now correct.

zurvan7

I wish to go with Rotiva AT in the 235/75R15 E Load for my 03 Sprinter 118 but some Sprinter owners in the first thread below have issues with rubbing and none of them has load over 1500-1800 lbs. None of them sure if they would scrape top of the wheel well when fully loaded or not fully loaded but over bums might scrape but some of them dont have any problems at all and they super happy with Rotiva AT in the 235/75R15. So confusing and risky to get these Rotivas, it might work or it might not work for me. If I get some bigger load it might rub or scrape.... I went to Discount tire to ask and it shows in red Do not install it will rub somewhere so it is not 100% fit for sure. That bothers me a lot.
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40523&page=8

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8907&page=6

I guess I better stay with original and recommended size LT225/70R 15C D Load which is enough for my 03 118 GVWR 8550 lbs . Nokian WRC3 tires are too expensive but seems they have cheaper version T429236 Nokian C Line Cargo 225/70R15C D/8PR 112-110S for about 130 bucks. Anyone tried these? Thank you

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V8KT3KY/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I17PBC6YMEVB3N&colid=1I0DPF816PJQV
https://www.nokiantires.com/summer-tires/nokian-cline-cargo/

Last edited:

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Do you put in heavy loads in? How much weight you have inside? Thank you
I had full loads 8500 pounds pulling 5000 pounds with the Nokian Rotiva AT and since they are a higher load rating and weight rating 116E than the original 110D 225/70R15 it should handle heavy loads.

Why?
Is it even possible to fill a 118WB with 2500#-2800# of cargo to make full load? Do you only carry car batteries?

Last edited:

zurvan7

I had full loads 8500 pounds pulling 5000 pounds with the Nokian Rotiva AT and since they are a higher load rating and weight rating 116E than the original 110D 225/70R15 it should handle heavy loads.

Why?
Is it even possible to fill a 118WB with 2500#-2800# of cargo to make full load? Do you only carry car batteries?
Thank you for replying. Thats good there is no rubbing or scraping with Nokian Rotiva AT which was my concern if they fit in rear wells under full load . Now they cost 100 bucks per tire

100 cinder blocks (2 pallets) each 28 lbs = 2800 lbs. I thought I can carry more then that. Up to 3400 lbs. Is it right? Thanks

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Is it even possible to fill a 118WB with 2500#-2800# of cargo to make full load?
It's easy... just repeat my mistake of asking a potter "Do you want me to pick anything up along the way?" and have him answer "a pallet load of clay".

I compromised on a 1500# half-pallet.

--dick

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Just as a note, that Hankook is an XL 4 ply, 2183 pound rated tire. Max pressure 50 psi. 720 turns per mile.

The original Goodyear Cargo Vectors were D (6 ply), 2470 pound rated. Max pressure 65 psi. 732 turns per mile

The 4 Hankooks do add up to 8720 pounds, thus exceeding the Sprinter's 8550 GVW rating.
Your speedometer will be more accurate.

The lower pressure may be part of the reason for the feeling of "floating" (instead of jaw-breaking roughness)

--dick

B

billintomahawk

Thanks to all for the comments.

I called Hankook before installation to confirm what you have posted for weight recommendations and I agree that the tires are marginal.
But I reasoned this way.

My top speed is 65 mph on a crowded Interstate, 60 mph when traffic is limited. 55 mph on the two lanes.
When I checked the tires for heat buildup it was not present using the palm of my hand for temperature testing.
My total camper build out is well under 1000 lbs, probably more like 400-600 lbs. road ready. i carry 40 lbs. of water, two trolling motor batteries and a 20 lb. propane tank(And a bed, tools, spares, stove, frig, pots, pans, clothes and electronics.) (No co-pilot!).

Running the tires at 42 psi is well within the suggested comfort pressure spec'd by MB and Hankook although Hankook would rather see 50 psi if higher speeds or ambient temps are to be sustained.

My total weight does not exceed 8720 lbs.(Probably more like 7000 lbs.)
I am light in the back but the rig feels balanced underway, in fact solid without harshness and quiet.
I am more concerned about the front tires.

What am I missing?

bill

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom