Engine Battery Trickle Charging ?

MeRob

For you Fleetwood owners... I finally found where my converter was located. AGH!...It is on the R/side, on the floor, directly behind the Power & Fuse Panel Display... (and under the hang-up closet and drawer). I guess in a 24 ft rig, the converter has to go somewhere....and not necessarily in a convenient somewhere.
The good news is it's a Progressive Dynamics PD9160A 60 amp unit... The bad news is I have to 'pull-out' the Power & Fuse Panel Assembly to be able to reach the converter and install a Charge Wizard on it. I think I have enough time before RVing weather arrives. Ha!

I hesitate to say this...but I think I'm finally finished solving my list of Fleetwood TIOGA problems.
So maybe someone else can help keep this Fleetwood Section of the Forum from disappearing ?... Ha!

May all of you have a "NO ENGINE WARNING LIGHT NEW YEAR! " Rob

MeRob

One final thought... during storage, whilst concentrating on keeping all of my batteries sufficiently charged...I found it was easy to forget that while being charged, those non-sealed batteries were busy losing water. So don't forget to check them...I was surprised to have to to 'top-up' the 6-volt ones twice since the Storing Season began...

Mein Sprinter

Known member
I do.

The van is connected to shore power to keep house batteries in good shape. The trickle charger is connected to one of the house AC power points. Its DC O/P is connected to the lower, always ON, 12V DC power socket.

BTW, IMO, you are usually better off not starting the engine during storage. The engine & exhaust systems are unlikely to get up to operating temperatures without driving. It's better to make sure that all systems are 'hot' before you store the van, then just leave it. Maybe check under the hood periodically to ensure that no mice have made a nest there.
Ready to store our Sprinter Roadtrek for the winter.

Now as I should understand that "shore" power only charges the House banks and does NOT charge the "engine" chasis battery. Therefore one is to get a trickle charger that is connected to the lower cigarette lighter in our 2010 Roadtrek Agile and then power the trickle charger by using one of the inside AC plugs. This way all batteries; House + Chasis are fully charged accordingly. Am I correct there?

Thank you

cheers...

pfflyer

Ready to store our Sprinter Roadtrek for the winter.

Now as I should understand that "shore" power only charges the House banks and does NOT charge the "engine" chasis battery. Therefore one is to get a trickle charger that is connected to the lower cigarette lighter in our 2010 Roadtrek Agile and then power the trickle charger by using one of the inside AC plugs. This way all batteries; House + Chasis are fully charged accordingly. Am I correct there?

Thank you

cheers...

Works that way for me.

MeRob

I've since found out that some Coach Builders, such as Fleetwood, have installed a separate Relay that is supposed to allow your converter to maintain your Coach Batteries AND your Chassis Battery.
I also found out, in my case, that this Relay does NOT always charge the Chassis Battery.

Therefore using a Tri-K-L Charger or a 120 VAC Battery Maintainer while your RV is stored and on Shore Power...is a wise choice.

Top Bottom