What are everyone's plans for the ECLIPSE?

icarus

^We ran up north to the town of Shoshoni, a few minutes after totality (as we had to be somewhere a long ways away in the next while), got to Shoshoni, and traffic was gridlocked with people coming up our road, trying to turn on to HWY 20 towards Casper. I jumped the quay, running up the left land until I could turn left on a residential street, went west 4 streets then north, where traffic was stopped in both direction. I squeezed ahead indicating I was going to cross the road, so people let me through. A few block north, then jetted east again to the HWY to Thermopolis and Worland. Bumper to bumper, but moving, someone let me in and away we went. We were back in Worland and out of the traffic less than 1.5 hours after we left, in what should have been a 1 hour drive. Not bad really, but I'm guessing the shear volume of traffic headed back to CO was crazy.

Icarus

autostaretx

Erratic Member
We kind'a shun-piked and side-roaded away from Turner Or (I-5 exit 248).
As we passed under I-5 at 1pm on the 21st, southbound was totally stopped, northbound was flowing well.

We (eventually) took Oregon 22 over and then up to Hebo, and continued north to camp at Bar View Jetty County Park just north of Garibaldi.

Two hiccups: Oregon 22 had a very serious (or fatal) accident less than a mile ahead of us, a couple of miles east of 22's intersection with Or 18 ... which caused them to close 22. We bailed out on Ridgeway, a gravel road that eventually took us around the obstruction. Then 22 was fairly empty as we diagonalled through forest to the northwest.
Then we hit US 101 ... which crawled through the old part of Tillamook and slowed to less than a creep on the straight section north of town (in front of the Tillamook factory). Blame 2 or 3 traffic lights. An hour to go 5 miles. Once past the traffic lights, clear sailing 'til we turned off north of Garabaldi. (which had been both cloudy and out of the totality band).
The next day (22nd) US 101 was busy, and again slowed to another traffic-light-engendered creep in Seaside Or. (we pulled off for lunch).
North of that (including into Astoria), traffic was pretty much normal.
We camped at Cape Disappointment (busy, but not "full") and had only "typical summer coastal" traffic on the 23rd to Bremerton and the ferry ride back to Seattle.
Our pokey return was planned, in part, to avoid a forecast 82F on the 2nd in Seattle. Coastal Oregon was 67 F.

--dick

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50714

I decided to stay home, way too dangerous to travel. Especially with all the mmillennials speeding and texting.

glasseye

My choice of mountainous terrain east of Rexburg, ID was excellent. Perfect viewing conditions.

I arrived on Friday, moved once a few km to avoid wind, then chilled until totality.

Exit strategy was good, with only minor, half-hour delays running north on US 20 and ID 287.

Full details here.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FQurBPfe43aCrKo8AuA4ag3SY4hD3jMjq0WriPEjf8s/edit?usp=sharing

No eclipse pictures, but lots of background info and some Frito pix. Others better equipped can do astrophotography far better than me.

All things considered, a superb adventure.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
There were a couple of cars at my site that had driven up the day before from Sacramento and the Bay Area, and who were planning to be at work on Tuesday.
I took two overnight stops on the way to arrive on Saturday, and (as described) two more stops on the way home.
The to-eclipse traffic was normal.

--dick

Eka

but I'm guessing the shear volume of traffic headed back to CO was crazy.
One of my friends said the traffic heading north out of Denver the morning of the eclipse to see the eclipse was estimated at 6 times the amount of traffic leaving a Broncos game.

D

Deleted member 50714

Your loss, 'nox. A deeply affecting glimpse into the cosmos. :professor:

You do have a second chance, but you gotta drive farther. :idunno:
Not really. Got my first telescope (refractor) in the 7th grade. Been hooked on the cosmos ever since. Just too lazy.

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
My choice of mountainous terrain east of Rexburg, ID was excellent. Perfect viewing conditions.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FQurBPfe43aCrKo8AuA4ag3SY4hD3jMjq0WriPEjf8s/edit?usp=sharing
Relay ridge!

I've heard tales of women running around topless up there, at some point during the weekend...

Post eclipse traffic in remote, empty southeastern Idaho. It took me an hour to move less than a mile.
I was on the other side of the road, coming back into teton valley, lots of people assured me I would be stuck in traffic too, but my plan to leave an ideal location (teton valley) for eclipse viewing for a harder to access higher altitude location worked perfectly, looks like you are just entering newdale in that pic, yea?

glasseye

Relay ridge!
Yup :laughing:

I've heard tales of women running around topless up there, at some point during the weekend...
No such luck. I did make friends with a couple of babes from Bozeman, though. And one from Scotland. All well and truly topped. That was a huge and unexpected benefit of being up there in my predicted "solitude" :laughing: All the neat people I met.

higher altitude location worked perfectly, looks like you are just entering newdale in that pic, yea?
Total agreement on the elevation. Smart move for both of us. :rad: Relay Ridge is a great spot. Frito had zero problems on that road. One guy even towed a 20 ft camper trailer up there! My fridge lasted four days on my little 100AH Lifeline, and had lots to spare. Probably because it was in the 40s F overnight. :hmmm:

That traffic jam was at the stop sign entering Ashton from the south. There was another worse one where US 20 meets ID 47 at Harriman State Park. Not bad, though. I crawled for about half an hour, then it magically all cleared up after Island Park.

Thanks for the loan of your neighbourhood! :thumbup::hugs:

Eka

My astronomy bravery back when I was a preteen was to be one of the founding group for a new astronomy club. There was a disused observatory in the town I grew up in. We had to convince the governing board to let us use it and the instruments in it. There were 5 of us. One new astronomy professor from the county community college, and 4 kids who loved astronomy. I also started work on a 12" F5 refractor when I was 13. It wasn't to much manual labor. The hardest part was figuring out how the old mirror grinding machines that Henry Fitz used operated. No manuals, no notebooks, and nothing else like them except for the one sitting in the Smithsonian. We eventually put them through their paces on a couple 5" blanks, then an 8" one. By then we knew the adjustments and we started my mirror. Grinding was done in less than a month, and on the third removal for optics testing it was less than a 1/16 wavelength off a perfect F4.8 parabola. We adjusted the setup tables again, and the next mirror made was nearly spot on for it's F number. Again more tweeks to the tables and even closer. A few weeks later a very old lady showed up to one of the Saturday observation nights with Henry Fitz's astronomy notebooks...with all the tables and descriptions of how the machine works.

ranchworld

'06 158 2500 Passenger
My Eclipse Experience

In 1989 I lived in Oakland California and worked in San Fransisco. Late one afternoon as I opened an apartment door on the third floor of an unreinforced masonry building an enormous earthquake swept through the city. I staggered in the doorway, clutching the doorframe for support as the first wave rocked the building. Then the second wave hit. Looking out the window on the far side of the room I could see the entire hillside rippling, undulating like water after a ships passing. When the third wave came I ran. This experience changed my perception of the world. All those tropes about safe as houses, solid as a rock, even the stone that the builder refuses, were knocked away. I now saw the world as a transitory thing, shaped by forces beyond my ken.

The eclipse was one of the most astonishing, awe inspiring and beautiful things I have ever seen. I was with friends and family in a large clearing at 5000 feet in the Blue Mountains in eastern Oregon directly under the path of totality. Most of the time I was playing with my daughter Iris and her friend Poppy, chatting with the wonderful people who camped near us and watching the slow progress of the moon across the face of the sun. We joked about primitive people and the legends of eclipses shaping events. As we neared 90% talk started about what people back home in Seattle would be seeing. Things started to become strange. Shadows softened, we developed umbras and penumbras of our own, the whole landscape softened as the hard edges of shadows spread apart. Colors lost intensity, almost like moonlight but not. We had been facing east, looking at the last slice of sun, still warm on our faces. Suddenly from the West a strange twilight occurred at many times normal speed, the first stars came out, bats flew from the trees and the temperature dropped. Turning to the West we saw the darkness hurtling towards us at planetary speed. That was when the terror started. I knew then as surely as I do now sitting here writing this that the event was an astronomical one, predictable and normal. I reveled in it’s glory, open mouthed, stunned by beauty and scale. But it was wrong. The darkness moved so fast. Turning back to the East the sun was gone, replace by a hole in the sky. Wraith like tendrils of cold fire surrounded the void. The source of all life was gone, no warmth emanated from the sky. Cold fingers clutched some ancient part of the back of my brain. Everything was wrong. Nothing was as it should be.

After the event as we walked down hill to our camp and I talked to Ben Duncan, Poppy’s dad about this small but unshakable part of the experience. I mentioned my earthquake story and seeing the hillside move like water. Over the years as I have told that story most people roll there eyes or assume I am exaggerating. Ben didn’t bat an eye. He turned to me and said “I saw that too. I was in San Fransisco that day”. Some times the world is a very small place.

rollerbearing

ranchworld,

You captured that so well with your words. I felt something shift in those moments and knew that I would always see the world as before the eclipse and after the eclipse. It was every bit as powerful a moment as my marriage and the births of my children. Very easy to understand why people begin to chase them.

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
No such luck. I did make friends with a couple of babes from Bozeman, though. And one from Scotland. All well and truly topped. That was a huge and unexpected benefit of being up there in my predicted "solitude" :laughing: All the neat people I met.
This valley really has attracted some unique people over the decades. Years ago there was a man named Fred Mugler, he owned a mountaineering supply store in town, the shop was a complete mess, but, it was amazing, stock ranged from army surplus from europe to Patagonia seconds/blems, way before anyone else carried that sort of stuff, he struck some sort of deal with them in the 80s to buy their "bad stuff" for cheap prices, and pass it along at a significant discount from the MSRP. Every Christmas he'd give out free eggnog, which was mostly rum... The point of the story is that way back when, he made/sold shirts that had a few wood cabins printed on them with the words "Driggs is the cultural hub of the universe" And, there is a pink plastic flamingo in front of one of the buildings, as Fred always had a pink plastic flamingo in front of his shop year round....

That shirt doesn't quite have the meaning that it used to have as time has passed, but it is still reminds me of a really special time here/in my life and stories like yours remind me that I do still live in a pretty special part of the planet.

Fred Mugler is no longer with us, he lived upstairs from his shop and the shop caught fire and he didn't survive. 2004 I think that was, time flies. I still have some wool gloves from his shop, I had numerous pairs of wool trousers from his shop, but they have all worn out and been tossed at this point.

Yea, I'm sure there was a great group of people up on Relay ridge :thumbup:

Thanks for the loan of your neighbourhood! :thumbup::hugs:
Hopefully I'll be around if you make it back down!

Eka

Some times the world is a very small place.
So true. I got to watch the Oakland hills ripple. I actually felt a sense of wonder as it happened. I was getting to experience an earthquake for myself from the relative safety of a one story modern building. Little worries about my own safety. I knew the design of the building I was in. Through learning I also understood what earth could throw our way so nothing surprised me there. After the ripples stopped, I felt a bit of resignation and sadness because I knew what now needed to be done. I knew the pain and turmoil some people were in. I'd also already been through a building collapse and worse, and survived. So I headed towards the nearest dust cloud. It was payback time of a different order than ever before. I'd always helped others when I could. I started helping dig people out. Just like people had dug me out.

Top Bottom