2002 sprinter 3500 hesitation

Mellowhobo

Hello,
I have a 2002 sprinter 3500. When I first bought this used at 144,000 miles, it had this hesitation where I'd be travelling on various types of roads and the engine would randomly stop providing power unless I pushed down on the pedal harder. If I didn't push the pedal, the vehicle would continue to decelerate.
I changed the fuel filter a couple months ago and the problem stopped.
Now, on a side note, I heard that these sprinters have a problem where air will get into the fuel lines if the tank doesn't have sufficient fuel, causing a hesitation.
Well, I had about a quarter tank of fuel left, and lo and behold, this hesitation problem has once again manifested itself.
I filled my tank to full capacity today, and still experienced the hesitation.
Any thoughts as to why this is happening? Is there any way to remove the air that possibly got into my fuel lines?
Thanks for the read!

Any thoughts as to why this is happening? Is there any way to remove the air that possibly got into my fuel lines?
Thanks for the read!
The air should be moved out while running. Once the engine is running air leaks in the line *shouldn't* have the effect that you describe.

Have you tried adjusting the brake switch?

vic

Last edited:
Hello,
I have a 2002 sprinter 3500. When I first bought this used at 144,000 miles, it had this hesitation where I'd be travelling on various types of roads and the engine would randomly stop providing power unless I pushed down on the pedal harder. If I didn't push the pedal, the vehicle would continue to decelerate.
I changed the fuel filter a couple months ago and the problem stopped.
Now, on a side note, I heard that these sprinters have a problem where air will get into the fuel lines if the tank doesn't have sufficient fuel, causing a hesitation.
Well, I had about a quarter tank of fuel left, and lo and behold, this hesitation problem has once again manifested itself.
I filled my tank to full capacity today, and still experienced the hesitation.
Thanks for the read!
I have the EXACTLY the same problem in a sprinter 2006. If you find the solution please write it.

Mellowhobo

I have the EXACTLY the same problem in a sprinter 2006. If you find the solution please write it.
Hello this problem seemed to be related to my Water In Fuel sensor inside the fuel filter. Every time I get this hesitation I change the filter. I think it's caused by there being junk in the tank that makes its way into the filter and that affects the fuel supply to the engine. The filter drain hasn't helped, I tried! Keeping at least 1/4 tank has been a consistent solution!

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
Is there actually water or stuff constantly in your fuel filter?! Sounds like your tank needs to be cleaned.

lady3jane

Read through this thread and add a check of tour turbo actuator vacuum lines and your charge air hoses for leaks.
If you have air bubbles in your fuel lines address that first. It might not be dirty fuel.

Do a scan on fuel rail pressure at idle and at 200 rpm and report your boost pressure/charge air pressure.
Find some answers in live data.

IMHO.

Bill

Top Bottom