Floor rot - 2014 Thor Siesta

kylecm

Good afternoon all,

Well, my saga of being a Thor owner continues. Just got back from the dealer, somehow I started getting a soft spot on the floor immediately in front of the side door and before the driver's cockpit. The local dealer stated that the floor is rotten. The estimate is close to 20 hours to remove the Beauflor, slideout, cabinets, etc. and replace the wood under the linoleum. They will also need to determine, and repair, whatever is allowing water to splash under the floor. Parts? Well, they stated the wood (of course) and the linoleum (Beaufor) but they don't know the price of that yet. I can't believe that Thor does not use marine plywood but I digress.

1.) Has anyone had the same issue?
2.) Obviously this is a manufacturing issue, however, the RV is 4 years old and the dealer says it is out of warranty.

Anyone have any suggestions? It looks like this is going to be about a $5k repair and I really don't think it should be my bill.

Thanks

Chuck

stevehar

2015 Thor Siesta 24SR
Chuck, during a horrendous rain storm in Joshua Tree NP last year, we discovered water running along the metal trim between the carpet and linoleum. Took off the fire extinguisher mount and discovered water dripping off the wires to the awning/led lights. I tie wrapped the wires up so the water didn't run into the coach.(don't no where it actually went) When I got home I removed the bottom awning bracket and saw that Thor drilled a hole for the wires, and never sealed or caulked it. I pulled the wires out so there was a low point outside the wall, and caulked it. Inside I dressed the wires so the went up so water would drip close to the wall and then hopefully down the wall and outside. I have opened it back up during a monsoon, and all looked dry. Here are some pics of the area I'm talking about.(pardon the bugs,just got back from a 7100 mile trip to the east coast)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

KC8RXQ

2016 Thor Synergy TT24
I just saw the post and apologize for my late reply.

Maybe this isn't such a rare occurrence after all. I had a raised screw head under the "linoleum" near the table pedestal floor plate. When I took the motorhome in for warranty repairs I got a call, and a bunch of photos, from my dealer's service manager that made me wince! The photos below are what they found but does this look like the same issue with your floor rot? The only "fix" the dealer could do was to spray the entire area with expanding foam. I need to crawl under the coach and recheck this fix and see if there is anything else that needs to be done.

Synergy Floor 001 (800x600).jpg

Synergy Floor 004 (800x600).jpg

Synergy Floor 006 (800x600).jpg

kylecm

I just saw the post and apologize for my late reply.

Maybe this isn't such a rare occurrence after all. I had a raised screw head under the "linoleum" near the table pedestal floor plate. When I took the motorhome in for warranty repairs I got a call, and a bunch of photos, from my dealer's service manager that made me wince! The photos below are what they found but does this look like the same issue with your floor rot? The only "fix" the dealer could do was to spray the entire area with expanding foam. I need to crawl under the coach and recheck this fix and see if there is anything else that needs to be done.

View attachment 89709

View attachment 89710

View attachment 89711
Mine was not as severe as this one. If you came in the side door toward the dinette, the floor would feel "soft" under your feet. My Local RV store (Reines of Manassas, now Camping World - 1/2 star rating in my book) said they thought it was rotten. The RV had to go back to the factory for another issue, but while it was there I wanted them to diagnose and fix the repair. According to Bobby Bishop (service manager Thor Factory), this is normal wear and tear. He stated the process of how they fuse the linoleum, styrofoam, and wood can cause the floor to feel a little soft over time. They inspected it and said there was no water damage, no issue with the floor.

I found this a little disheartening and when I trade it in I hope that I don't have a dealership who claims, this must be rotten.

Chuck

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Chuck,

Ask for that statement in writing from the service manager and then you have evidence if you are ever challenged over the state of your floor.

Keith.

OkieNAz

Randy
Well, it's been a while since I have updated any forum items.

We had the same issues with the soft floor on our 2014 SA. First step in to the RV began to be soft after a short time of ownership. That first step, got worse over time. Over time, that softness extended clear into the bath room. Every place we step is soft.

I got that same line, it's typical wear. BS. You will find that there is no support inside the floor of your RV. It's about 1 1/2 inch (bit less) of Styrofoam sandwiched between about 1/16" of some type of membrane. Probably poly? Maybe fiber glass? But thin.

I found everywhere that we did not walk was as firm as when we bought our RV. Every place we stepped was soft.

There has been zero water leakage. Period.

I did a core sample under the cabinet and back in the storage bin. All you will find is nice clean, white Styrofoam, just like in your beer cooler.

Just returned from J&L RV Repair in Fontana, Calif. They installed additional plywood bracing from the underside of the RV with angle iron securing the bracing. The only place that they were not able to brace up was the area in front of the bathroom sink. That's over the black tank. No way to secure the bracing there. It took right at 2 days to make the repairs. (First idea of putting material on top of the existing floor seemed like a bad idea. J&L agreed.)

I will update the ongoing issues with our 2014.5 SA shortly.

We love our SA (all but the corner bed) now that we have practically rebuilt it.

I would certainly recommend J&L RV Repair for any work. My bet is if something CAN be fixed, J&L can do it.

I checked the reviews on J&L before taking our RV there. Almost all 5's. That's the score I would give them.

(THOR over all? No where near a 5!!!!! But, their service guys are good to work with.)

Okie

kylecm

Well, it's been a while since I have updated any forum items.

We had the same issues with the soft floor on our 2014 SA. First step in to the RV began to be soft after a short time of ownership. That first step, got worse over time. Over time, that softness extended clear into the bath room. Every place we step is soft.

(THOR over all? No where near a 5!!!!! But, their service guys are good to work with.)

Okie
Thanks for adding to this. Mine went all the way back to Indiana, they (Thor) replaced the lino and said they braced the floor.

However....

1.) They simply laid lino on top the old lino and secured it on the edges. There are areas that it has already bubbled.

2.) If they braced it I have no idea where it is still soft.

Two weeks ago I was down in Florida and stumbled upon the 2018 Tampa Florida RV show. I was able to find a ton of pretty cool and nice Sprinter-based Class Cs. We have decided to get as far away from Thor as possible. We are looking at a Coachmen Prism Elite. I dought we will trade but it is a possibility.

Ugh corner bed, reminds me I need to make a post on the forum.

Thanks again for adding to this.

Chuck

bojala

Good afternoon all,

Well, my saga of being a Thor owner continues. Just got back from the dealer, somehow I started getting a soft spot on the floor immediately in front of the side door and before the driver's cockpit. The local dealer stated that the floor is rotten. The estimate is close to 20 hours to remove the Beauflor, slideout, cabinets, etc. and replace the wood under the linoleum. They will also need to determine, and repair, whatever is allowing water to splash under the floor. Parts? Well, they stated the wood (of course) and the linoleum (Beaufor) but they don't know the price of that yet. I can't believe that Thor does not use marine plywood but I digress.

1.) Has anyone had the same issue?
2.) Obviously this is a manufacturing issue, however, the RV is 4 years old and the dealer says it is out of warranty.

Anyone have any suggestions? It looks like this is going to be about a $5k repair and I really don't think it should be my bill.

Thanks

Chuck
Hello, we have a 2014 siesta 24 st and had Soft floor issues about 2 months after we bought it at General RV in Jacksonville fla. We too it back and they said it was normal. as first time RV owners we believed them. Fast forward 4 years we were just in denial that something was wrong. the whole floor was soft to very spongy. One day the slide out got jammed in the open position. so we took it to camping world in COCOA fla. They told us it was because the floor was rotted out. (slide out connected to the floor). the write up was for almost $13k. After much debate we took mit to the factory in INDIANA. After the inspection we were told that the floor wasn't rotted out because its not made of wood (WTF). After talking to the manager my understanding is that that type of floor should have had reinforcements underneath and didnt. That material was for some other rv. WEleft it in indiana and are waitind for a solution SAD

bojala

Mine was not as severe as this one. If you came in the side door toward the dinette, the floor would feel "soft" under your feet. My Local RV store (Reines of Manassas, now Camping World - 1/2 star rating in my book) said they thought it was rotten. The RV had to go back to the factory for another issue, but while it was there I wanted them to diagnose and fix the repair. According to Bobby Bishop (service manager Thor Factory), this is normal wear and tear. He stated the process of how they fuse the linoleum, styrofoam, and wood can cause the floor to feel a little soft over time. They inspected it and said there was no water damage, no issue with the floor.

I found this a little disheartening and when I trade it in I hope that I don't have a dealership who claims, this must be rotten.

Chuck
Hello, we have a 2014 siesta 24 st and had Soft floor issues about 2 months after we bought it at General RV in Jacksonville fla. We too it back and they said it was normal. as first time RV owners we believed them. Fast forward 4 years we were just in denial that something was wrong. the whole floor was soft to very spongy. One day the slide out got jammed in the open position. so we took it to camping world in COCOA fla. They told us it was because the floor was rotted out. (slide out connected to the floor). the write up was for almost $13k. After much debate we took mit to the factory in INDIANA. After the inspection we were told that the floor wasn't rotted out because its not made of wood (WTF). After talking to the manager my understanding is that that type of floor should have had reinforcements underneath and didnt. That material was for some other rv. WEleft it in indiana and are waitind for a solution SAD

bojala

Thanks for adding to this. Mine went all the way back to Indiana, they (Thor) replaced the lino and said they braced the floor.

However....

1.) They simply laid lino on top the old lino and secured it on the edges. There are areas that it has already bubbled.

2.) If they braced it I have no idea where it is still soft.

Two weeks ago I was down in Florida and stumbled upon the 2018 Tampa Florida RV show. I was able to find a ton of pretty cool and nice Sprinter-based Class Cs. We have decided to get as far away from Thor as possible. We are looking at a Coachmen Prism Elite. I dought we will trade but it is a possibility.

Ugh corner bed, reminds me I need to make a post on the forum.

Thanks again for adding to this.

Chuck
did Thor CHARGE you anything? just TEXT me at 9046079634 thanks

bojala

Chuck

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
You have only ever made four posts on the forum and three of them are identical, you must have some bad feeling for Thor!

Top Bottom