MB Extended Limited Warranty - Cost

showkey

^^^^^^^^not for the guys that have $4000-$5000 in play or ( risk) as they I am pretty sure want an answer to what is actually covered.

JFloFoto

^^^^^^^^not for the guys that have $4000-$5000 in play or ( risk) as they I am pretty sure want an answer to what is actually covered.
I'm one of those guys! Just take your $5k, put it in a bank account and save it it case your emissions system ****s the bed. Problem solved.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

showkey

^^^^^^^^^That's pretty much my theory on all extended warranty on all products .......but........this "emissions exclusion or non inclusion" really makes it a deal killer.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
.this "emissions exclusion or non inclusion" really makes it a deal killer.
Yes, exactly. Buying a third-party warranty is always irrational. An OEM warranty sometimes makes sense (because they can fix the vehicle for less money than anybody else, so it isn't a zero-sum game). But the only reason I was even considering it was due to potential expensive emissions failures.

It would REALLY be nice to get to the bottom of this. Unfortunately, nothing short of a written clarification from the warrantor would convince me, and that does not appear to be forthcoming.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
And, of course, even if emissions failures ARE covered, they are also covered under the federally-mandadated 5-year emissions warranty. This means that any additional coverage you pay for with an ELW is redundant for the first two years, which further reduces their value.

Dr_Paul

I understand the Mercedes warranty to cover emissions for 5 years just like the engine. Here are the costs I received yesterday from my local dealer for the Sprinter Extended Limited Warranty: 1 year or 100K for $1300; 2 years or 125K for $2275: 3 years or 150K for $3250 : 4 years or 175K for $4225. Is it worth the cost?

chromisdesigns

I understand the Mercedes warranty to cover emissions for 5 years just like the engine. Here are the costs I received yesterday from my local dealer for the Sprinter Extended Limited Warranty: 1 year or 100K for $1300; 2 years or 125K for $2275: 3 years or 150K for $3250 : 4 years or 175K for $4225. Is it worth the cost?
Absolutely in my opinion. Our extended warranty has already more than paid for itself

sheral

The reason I have not purchased an extended MB warranty (in Canada anyways) was that they told me the emissions parts / system was not extended beyond the manufacturer warranty period. That was the tipping point for me.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
The reason I have not purchased an extended MB warranty (in Canada anyways) was that they told me the emissions parts / system was not extended beyond the manufacturer warranty period. That was the tipping point for me.
Yep. Same here. I realize that some people believe otherwise, and a (very) few have reported actually receiving coverage of emissions issues under an extended warranty. But the contract itself seems pretty clear on this point, and when push comes to shove, that is what counts.

chromisdesigns

Yep. Same here. I realize that some people believe otherwise, and a (very) few have reported actually receiving coverage of emissions issues under an extended warranty. But the contract itself seems pretty clear on this point, and when push comes to shove, that is what counts.
California emissions warranty is nearly as long as the full extended warranty so we are good here

showkey

See if you can get an real documented list or things that are actually covered ? Before purchase.......... As mentioned several posts in this thread ...........emissions devices and systems would be real important to determine the warranty's value.

And when the dealer everything is covered.........Ask for a list !!!! Because they are far more interested in the warranty sale than the coverage or your financial well being in the future.

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
We had to pull our position with Sportsmobile for our van build, and got lucky that the Westminster dealer here in Denver had a 4x4 position due for Oct 2017 build date. We jumped on it, got the options spec'd, and talked about the after market warranty. He told us it covers all the emissions stuff, but not things like seat covers, tires, brakes, (typical exclusions on an extended warranty). He said they also have a $1500 glass warranty that's good for 5 years with a max number of replacements at 3. Since we're doing the heated windshield, we'll certainly be doing the glass warranty.

People keep talking about the warranty denying anything emissions related, and we keep hearing from various MB reps that they are covered (or at least I do). I'm doing the warranty until I hear of someone that paid for the extended warranty, but had a denied claim due to emissions not being covered.

showkey

My insurance covers glass with no limits as part of comprehensive coverage............so why would you want double coverage.

As for emissions coverage there are dozens and dozens of posts where even under the regular emissions warranty where the dealer has denied coverage. With MB customer service comments like the dealer makes the decisions.......which is just crazy and wrong..........but it's well documented.

Then there is the time period problem, five years from the date of purchase is not a five extension and might be no extension of the already emissions in some states as mentioned in post #70 ( if emissions are covered at all).

Last edited:

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Yeah. This is just crazy talk.
It is like saying "The order sheet of my new Sprinter doesn't show cruise control, but my salesperson said that Mercedes was going to give it to me anyway. Give it to me, please."
Good luck with that.

lindenengineering

A mini quiz for a Saturday morning.
You have a fairly new Sprinter on a FULL extended warranty covering all the engine /driveline basics and the emission system.

One day the turbo lets go on your van climbing up I/70 to Georgetown and the resultant oil loss takes out the crank /crankcase and the thing end up with a leg out of bed!

Inspection report shows it needs a new engine and the CAT DPF is laden with oil, old lube oil expelled when the turbo let go!

In your judgement and I suppose expectation would the insurance company cover the supply & install of a new engine at shop rates plus a new CAT & DPF?
What about the deductible ?
Dennis

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
In your judgement and I suppose expectation would the insurance company cover the supply & install of a new engine at shop rates plus a new CAT & DPF?
Dennis
What does the fine print say about "consequential damages"?
How good is my lawyer?

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
My insurance covers glass with no limits as part of comprehensive coverage............so why would you want double coverage.

As for emissions coverage there are dozens and dozens of posts where even under the regular emissions warranty where the dealer has denied coverage. With MB customer service comments like the dealer makes the decisions.......which is just crazy and wrong..........but it's well documented.

Then there is the time period problem, five years from the date of purchase is not a five extension and might be no extension of the already emissions in some states as mentioned in post #70 ( if emissions are covered at all).
A lot of companies in Colorado do not offer a specific glass coverage due to the shear number of windshields getting replaced here (sand and pebbles used in winter). You'd have to file a standard claim, subject to standard deductibles. I'm sure some auto companies still do glass coverage as a standalone, but USAA doesn't (they did for us in the mid-west). The MB glass coverage has very low deductibles.

I have not seen a post where the extended warranty denied an emissions claim. Maybe I'm not looking that hard, though?

Even so, emissions failures rank low on my list of worries compared to a failed block, failed trans, etc. In my experience, factory-backed extended warranties often pay for themselves, at least when it comes to german cars with discerning owners. CPO'd cars are typically $5K+ more than non-CPO'd cars with the same mileage. Fidelity (underwriter for most Porsche and Audi aftermarket warranties) is usually in the $2,500 - $3,000 range for a 3/yr/36k mile powertrain warranty on a car fresh off the factory warranty (50k miles). Even a CPO'd Audi only gets you to 6yr/100k miles from the original sale date.

So, if the engine-only warranty on MB is 5yr/100K miles, but the driveline, trans, and everything else ends at 3yr/36k mile, then I fail to see how a $4k factory-backed warranty that is essentially a CPO taking the vehicle out to 7yr/175K mile is not a good deal.

If you're a DIY person, don't have a dealer nearby, or don't plan on coming close to meeting that mileage limit, then maybe it's not worth it to you. For me, we are buying the van from the same dealer that will service it, and they are selling us the extended warranty. They're also just down the road. I've worked on all my own cars for my entire life, so I'm looking forward to the convenience of MB picking up and dropping off our van for service, and all the other conveniences and perks of the warranty (like towing to a dealer if you break down). I'm not saying it's right for everyone. I'm just posting my rational and experiences.

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
A mini quiz for a Saturday morning.
You have a fairly new Sprinter on a FULL extended warranty covering all the engine /driveline basics and the emission system.

One day the turbo lets go on your van climbing up I/70 to Georgetown and the resultant oil loss takes out the crank /crankcase and the thing end up with a leg out of bed!

Inspection report shows it needs a new engine and the CAT DPF is laden with oil, old lube oil expelled when the turbo let go!

Dennis
Honesty, I just don't think about things like that. I took our Cayenne Turbo up over Georgia Pass on street tires. We've forded multiple deep streams with it, rocketed down back country highways well into the triple digit speeds. We'd take our old air-cooled 911 camping on remote dirt roads without much in the way of tools. Sh!t happens, usually it works out. Sometimes it won't.

I can say that in every one of the last 5 german cars we've owned (porsche and audi), I've had records of all work completed since new. And everyone of those cars would have saved money with an extended warranty. Hell, even my wife's sh!t box Murano with 95K on the clock and a $2,500 extended warranty sold by the Lexus dealer more than paid for itself just with a lower control arm job.

I'm just not that worried about it like you guys are. My experiences with dealers is typically pretty good. I'm sure there will be times when the warranty should cover something, and it doesn't. But I feel fairly confident we'll get our money out of it.

lindenengineering

Well I don't worry about it either but my customers do!

I see claims like this every day and More!
For me it's like watching a football match either American style or the rests of the world preferences who play the beautiful game!--Usual semantics in use "beautiful game" with apt reference!:laughing:

This incident and claim is an actual one, so how do you folks think this turned out and was adjudicated.
Dennis

Top Bottom