NAG1 Transmission Fluid Change

glasseye

Against all odds, and at 115K miles, I decided to go to an MB dealership for Frito's second-ever transmission service. The service included fluid, filter, and install of a new electrical connector (I had the part) I even had them replace the passenger side headlight bulb because I was feeling flush. The bill from Lone Star Motors in Calgary, including a two-way shuttle to Costco (instead of waiting an hour in the carpeted seating area) and an obligatory latte was $371USD.

The tech was very helpful, describing what he found on disassembly (nothing bad) and illuminating the "capillarity" (his term) of the fluid up the wiring harness. He found no intrusion into the under-seat control box.

As a penalty from the DIY gods, by the time I got home, the opposite-side headlight bulb had failed. :idunno: That's the hard one to do. Serves me right for getting the dealership to do the easy one.

In all, exceptional service at a very reasonable price. Kudos to the boys in Calgary.

Against all odds, and at 115K miles, I decided to go to an MB dealership for Frito's second-ever transmission service. ...
Was there any mention of the Recall "Upgrade" for your Dodge Sprinter ECM?

I downloaded the latte pic so it won't get lost.

MBlatte.jpg

(Nice pose and happy looking pic by the way. :thumbup:)

Maybe Sikwan can have some latte sized cups made for promo in the dealerships.

00000redcupDrinkMe.jpg

00000redcupDrinkMeSm.jpg

vic

GaryJ

Here since 2006
Was there any mention of the Recall "Upgrade" for your Dodge Sprinter ECM? vic
Another data point on the Recall: Mercedes of Rocklin, CA sent me a $200 coupon for service so I took my van (originally Freightliner) in and had the slightly leaking transmisssion connector replaced, and the 10 year old brake fluid flushed. While there I asked about the recall, and Greg, the service writer said they were only doing it to the vans that had the instrument light problem. All in all it was a good experience, with me providing the MB brake fluid, them providing me with a 2017 MB loaner, a couple hours later I was out the door for $119. Greg Burnett has been dealing with Sprinters there for 10 years and knows them pretty well. No song and dance or attempted upsell other than to advise future replacment of the serpentine belt with 60K on it.

Gary

glasseye

Hi Vic. No ECM mods made or mentioned. Must be a USA-only thing.

Transmission parts (seal ring, gasket fluid and filter) $109.79, labour $231.

Install new connector: labour $77, parts $0. Original part from Doctor A in 2009.

Costco shuttle, latte, views of receptionists in stiletto heels and vehicle wash: $0

All $ CDN

My headlight bulb replacement cost me $30 labour. I supplied the part. That the other bulb failed within hours is just punishment. :idunno:

Considering the reports of mess and difficulties with these operations, I consider it money well spent, for entertainment, education and service. :thumbup:

D Mann

Changed the fluid on my 06 last weekend, all went well thanks to this great site and all the brave souls willing to try new things and help others. After the fluid change I noticed a leak, retrocede the pan bolts and read further into the post. I found the electrical connector info and bought one at the dealer $21.00. Following the instructions in the postI replaced it. The only worry now is that the old socket did not have the red "O" rings. The "O" rings look like silicon but the plug has a red "O" ring. Does anyone have the part number for this ring?
Thanks again for all the help.

From some recent posts.

Toward the end of the '06 model year MBenz relocated the torque converter drain plug to the front half of the housing.

This later '06 production location uses the much smaller (6 cylinder's) torque converter drain plug (4mm internal hex) with integral crush washer and factory applied thread locking compound.

It should be replaced at every removal

Doktor A
Eg. - Valvoline Maxlife fluid.

Hello Dr A,
By looking at the valvoline max life spec, I see it spec for mb 234.10 thru 16. Is this atf fluid suitable to use on 06 sprinter?
Product Information
A PRODUCT OF VALVOLINETM INC.
MAXLIFE™ Multi-Vehicle ATF
Valvoline™ MaxLife™ Multi-Vehicle ATF is a full synthetic formulation with advanced additives to prevent the major causes of
transmission breakdown and help extend transmission life. Developed to help prevent leaks, maximize transmission performance,
reduce transmission wear, and maintain smooth shifting longer than conventional fluids. It is suitable for use in a broad range of
ATF applications including most Ford, GM, Toyota & Honda models as well as Dex/Merc, Mercon LV and many more applications.
Valvoline has conducted extensive in-house testing, independent lab testing, and field-testing to support MaxLife™ Multi-Vehicle
ATF performance in the broadest range of transmissions; however, it should be noted that MaxLife™ Multi-Vehicle ATF is not an
OEM licensed product. The respective vehicle manufacturers have neither evaluated nor endorsed MaxLife™ Multi-Vehicle ATF in
these applications. If an OEM licensed product is preferred we recommend Valvoline DEXRON® VI, Valvoline ATF+4® and Valvoline
MERCON®V for the corresponding applications.
The Valvoline MaxLife™ ATF Advantages:
 Synthetic fluid
 Conditions transmission seals to help prevent leaks
 Reduces varnish formation and wear
 Our best anti-shudder performance
 Improves and maintains smooth shifting longer than conventional automatic transmission fluids
 Superior anti-shudder performance
 Provides excellent flow properties at low temperatures and greater film protection at high temperatures
 Helps maximize the life of higher mileage transmissions
Performance Levels
Suitable for use in:
 Allison TES 389*, C-4
 Audi/VW G-055-025-A2, G-052-162-A1/A2, G-052-990-
A2, G-055-005-A2, G-055-162-A6, G-055-540-A2, G-060-
162-A2, G-052-025-A2, G-052-162-A1
 BMW LT71141, LA2634, M-1375.4, ATF 3.0, 7045E, ETL
8072B
 Chrysler Diamond SP-III, NAG-1, 3403 M115
 Ford MERCON®* (in California use Valvoline Dex/Merc)
 Ford MERCON® V*, FNR5*, XT-9-AMMF5*, (in California
use Valvoline MERCON V)
 Ford MERCON® SP*
 MERCON® LV
 GM 9986195
 GM DEXRON® II, III and VI
 GM Autotrak II
 Honda/Acura ATF-Z1, DW1 (except in CVTs)
 Hyundai SP-II, SP-III, SP-IV, SPH-IV,
SP4-M, SP-IV-RR
 JWS 3309
 JASO 1A
 KIA SP-II and SP-III Fluids, Red 1
 Mazda M-V, FZ
 Mercedes Benz MB236.1, MB236.6, MB236.7, MB236.9,
MB236.10, MB236.12*, MB 236.14*, MB 236.15*
 Mercedes Benz NAG-1
 MOPAR AS68RC ATF
 Miscellaneous OEMs – M1375.4, M1375.6, L12108, LT 71141,
ETL-7045E, ETL-8072B, 3403 M115, N402, AW-1
 Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II, SP-III, ATF-J3, Dia Queen ATF-PA
 Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J, Matic-K, Matic-S, Matic W
 Saab 93 165 147
 Subaru ATF
 Subaru ATF-HP
 Toyota / Lexus Type T, T-III and T-IV
 Toyota WS
 Volvo 1161521, 1161540, STD 1273.41, 97340
 VW TL52162, LT71141
 ZF TE-ML-14B, 16L, 17C
*Please note that legislation in California prohibits Valvoline from recommending MaxLife™ ATF in certain applications where the
viscometrics of MaxLife™ ATF do not match those of the official OEM specification. Valvoline therefore does not recommend the
use of MaxLife™ ATF in these applications in California.
Valvoline does not recommend MaxLife™ Multi-Vehicle ATF for use in most continuously variable transmissions (CVTs) and in dual
clutch transmissions (DCTs) unless specifically noted, nor in automatic transmissions where Ford Type F fluids are recommended.
Valvoline stands behind all of its products, including MaxLife Multi-Vehicle ATF. Use of MaxLife™ Multi-Vehicle ATF in
transmissions where recommended by Valvoline WILL NOT void the vehicle’s warranty. In the unlikely event that you or your
customer experiences any transmission issues while using MaxLife™ Multi-Vehicle ATF in a Valvoline recommended application,
Hello Dr A,
By looking at the valvoline max life spec, I see it spec for mb 234.10 thru 15. Is this atf fluid suitable to use on 06 sprinter?

 Mercedes Benz NAG-1

*Please note that legislation in California prohibits Valvoline from recommending MaxLife™ ATF in certain applications where the
viscometrics of MaxLife™ ATF do not match those of the official OEM specification. Valvoline therefore does not recommend the
California to the rescue. That state calls out the ATF manufacturer who displays the particular MBenz approval code but has a viscosity that is not approved.

Note the NAG-1 approval but be aware the MBenz NAG-1 manufatured in the USA for Chrysler Hemis applications uses a clutch material that is compatible with ATF +4.

Also note the blue fuel economy (FE) 236.15 is not backdate approved for '01-'06 Sprinters.

Doktor A

P.S, the early postings in this thread are obviously OUT OF DATE. I am relocated in the NW corner of South Carolina and my new phone# is displayed in my data box.
I added blue color text for clarity. (I'm not trying to be argumentative, just including some additional information.)

Hello Dr A,
By looking at the Valvoline max life spec, I see it spec for mb 234.10 thru 15. Is this atf fluid suitable to use on 06 sprinter?

 Mercedes Benz NAG-1

MB236.10 spec ATF is still listed and approved by Mercedes for the NAS aka NAFTA Sprinters. The MB236.12*, MB 236.14*, MB 236.15* fluids were developed for other style transmissions.

Even Shell supports what I said about MB236.14 spec fluid being formulated for newer transmissions.

Shell 134 PDF said:
Main Applications

* Shell ATF 134 has been developed as an initial-fill and service-fill fluid for Mercedes-Benz 7-speed automatic transmissions.
* Shell ATF 134 is mandatory for NAG2V Sport transmissions with wet starting clutch and the 7G-tronic (model 722.9/W7A 700/NAG2). It can also be used *backward compatible* in all 5-speed transmissions with controlled torque converter lockup clutch for vehicles with rear-wheel drive (model 722.6/W5A 580/NAG1).

http://tdc.ge/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/19_ATF_134.pdf
View attachment 87167

So I just looked in my manual and it shows 236.10 or 236.12 as the recommended oil. The acceptance of .10 makes it easier to find for sure.
It is interesting that the 2011 Operator Manual still lists MB236.10 and MB236.12 spec for the NCV3. Maybe all of the cautions about MB236.14 spec fluid being needed to stop RSN in T1N's is folklore? The NCV3 NAG1 doesn't seem to suffer RSN.

vic

Added:
I found this author's comments informative.

SELECTING THE PROPER AUTOMATIC TRANSMISISON FLUID

By Ralph Kalal

https://www.cartechbooks.com/techtips/autotransfluid

(He did need a better proof reader or spell check for the title.)

An important note for NAS aka NAFTA NCV3 4 cylinder owners.
(Not T1N I5 and NCV3 V6.)

For those who are reading this and have a OM651 and the 7-speed, you need ATF 134 FE. Do not think that ATF 134 (red) is sufficient for your transmission.

Older 7-speeds (like in my S550) came with ATF134 236.14 spec fluid. Later series transmissions are all spec'd with ATF134FE (bluish-aqua). All 7-speed Sprinters use ATF134FE.

For all my 5-speeds, we use Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic ATF at 40K change intervals.
As always clicking the blue arrow icon within any quote box will take you to the original post/thread.

The above said, there are those who recommend avoiding the multi-vehicle transmission fluids. There are also those who have used the Valvoline Max Life ATF in their Sprinter(s) with good results.

:2cents: vic

Last edited:

michaelyares

2005 2500 158" WB
Another satisfied customer. One question on the current dipstick sold by europartssd. Their stick is for both the t1n and nv3 with the directions saying the stick protruding 3" from the tube for the t1n but does not describe where that measurement is taken. The stick seems crude as it is inconsistent in its insertion. Anyone here have an idea where the 3" is to be measured? Thanks to you all. :idunno:

'
Another satisfied customer. One question on the current dipstick sold by europartssd. Their stick is for both the t1n and nv3 with the directions saying the stick protruding 3" from the tube for the t1n but does not describe where that measurement is taken. The stick seems crude as it is inconsistent in its insertion. Anyone here have an idea where the 3" is to be measured? Thanks to you all. :idunno:
There are molded in wing-like stops at the bottom where the dipstick enters the pan, and you cannot insert it too far.
So, measuring how much is left sticking out is not important.

Last edited:

michaelyares

2005 2500 158" WB
The stick I have is similar so I will use the lobes for a measure point. The instructions are for two different uses. Thank youFullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:
Just did a complete flush of trans, converter, trans cooler and replacement of all key parts, replaced fluid with Shell 134 and wanted to be sure to get a majority of the old fluid out of the system.

Did so by removing the top fitting on radiator for the trans cooler and then gently with a hand air pump cleared the remaining fluid which could be heard as a gurgle sound when it was nearing empty. Let vehicle set quite awhile after to let gravity finish doing it's thing.

Another hopefully helpful tip is most funnels do not fit properly into the T1N dipstick tube.

By taking some electrical tape and going around the bottom of funnel to create a seal the issue is quickly solved and your motor and turbo does not get a single drop on them this way. *Tried an O ring but the tape was a much better solution.

This is the funnel I purchased on Amazon. It has a convenient fitting attached to keep funnel upright and hands free. *Be sure to generously click through forum if you do the same!

*Most auto parts stores and many service shops are the proper way to dispose and recycle your discarded fluids.

Another among many options is if you use a chainsaw, is to use discarded motor oil for chain and bar lube. :2cents:

Last edited:

psuggmog

I just completed an uneventful transmission fluid, filter and electrical connector socket replacement. Everything went smoothly, with no spillage of fluid.. I did a few things I haven't read about on this thread and thought I would share my method. I have a late 2006 which has a small forward facing torque converter drain plug which has a 4mm internal hex fitting. I made a little sheet metal "gutter which fits against the bell housing and directs the fluid over the cross member into the drain pan, which also was collecting the fluid flowing from the pan drain. The gutter was held in place with a magnet. I refilled the transmission, using a pressure vessel which I made from a modified $10 plastic sprayer. I removed the nozzle and the remaining tube fit the dipstick pipe snugly. The sprayer valve had a monentary and continuous setting, so no valve modification was necessary. The tank had volume marks in liters and quarts, which made it easy to fill with the volume of fluid desired with no premeasuring needed. The tank had a built in funnel which made filling the tank easy. The tank is pressurized with a hand pump abd has a pressure release valve which is handy for depressurizing the unit when finished. I pumped up the tank and hung it from the hood latch, inserted the discharge wand into the dipstick pipe, opened the valve and waited for the tank to empty with no further input. I also was able to remove the red plastic lock pin from the dipstick cover without breaking it. Instead of prying the pin out, I pushed it out from the underside of the retainer with a flat blade screwdriver, the same width as the lower end of the pin.

Last edited:
Looking to do this on my 2004 2500 with 303,000 miles. Does this kit look right.

Transmission Service Kit w/ Fluid 722.6 T1N NAG1 Sprinter Mercedes Dodge 236.14 $114.95 + free freight

This kit includes:

-8 Liters/Quarts of Fuchs ATF 4134 that meets MB236.14/MB236.10/MB236.12

-Transmission Filter Strainer

-Includes 13 Pin Plug

-Transmission Pan Gasket

-Drain Plug and Washer
Did you read both Reviews at bottom in that listing mentioning "fitting problems"?

Auction does not mention mfr name. Best IMHO if replacement parts are OEM.

Not fun to have everything apart only to find a replacement part is the incorrect one or doesn't fit.

Last edited:

Did you read both Reviews at bottom in that listing mentioning "fitting problems"?

:thumbup:

The devil is the details.

I'm convinced that Europarts SD does the research.

To be clear.
I am not receiving any special benefit from Europarts SD. Well... they did once include a neat little LED key ring with an order, but I lost it because I let my grand kids play with it.

:cheers: vic

8 Liters/Quarts of ATF that meets MB236.14/MB236.10/MB236.12
OEM Mercedes 13 Pin Plug
Transmission Filter Strainer
Transmission Pan Gasket
Drain Plug and Washer

Shell 134 ATF is correct
Are all of the parts OEM, or just the 13 pin plug? I'd email the seller and ask.

There should be 2 plug washers, 1 for the pan drain plug and 1 for the converter plug.

I also see that they mention a new drain plug, but there is not one in the photo.
That may have just have been a typo.

Be sure you have the an A\T dipstick!

Last edited:

Top Bottom