Tool rental for crankshaft pulley job

I am having my 2005 158 WB, hi roof, 2500 crankshaft pulley replaced. Are any specialty tools needed, and if so, where do I buy or rent the tools?

lindenengineering

Re: Tool rental

You will need a crankshaft pulley holding tool !
A 3/4 drive deep 27 mm socket.
A torque wrench to at least 250 lbf ft.
A 3/4 knuckle bar to turn the bolt another 90 degrees.
A seal extractor
A sleeve style seal driver tool.

Most of the stuff you can rent except the crankshaft lock tool.
You will need to buy that!
Dennis

lindenengineering

Well every 1/2 knuckle bar we have used sheers EXCEPT a Snap On.

All, are OK to the 240 lbf ft mark, its the additional 90 degrees torque to yield that gets em!
Its gonna get you and me too without using a cheater bar!
The 3/4 bar doesn't bend as you put the final torque on it, so its preferred even a cheapy made in China
Also less effort on the human frame!
Dennis

PATECO

Well every 1/2 knuckle bar we have used sheers EXCEPT a Snap On.

All, are OK to the 240 lbf ft mark, its the additional 90 degrees torque to yield that gets em!
Its gonna get you and me too without using a cheater bar!
The 3/4 bar doesn't bend as you put the final torque on it, so its preferred even a cheapy made in China
Also less effort on the human frame!
Dennis
I did mine without removing the fan or Radiator. I tried the 3/4" but it would not clear the Fan, I used the 1/2" one from Harbor Freight. It worked for the 90°, but then fell apart as soon as I was done. Hinge pin fell out of the head. It was only $12 so I wasn't too upset.

lindenengineering

Really the issue isn't the tool, its the sudden break or SHATTER which can injure!
There are some safety regulations you have to follow when fixing vehicles.
Much of the time you get away with it but then danger can strike! Often results half a day in the A & E room perhaps with some attractive nurse being the only consolation.
Right tools for the right job!
Dennis
Mechanic

I got the tool yesterday AM, and took it to the shop. They called about 4:00PM and the van is ready. Today, the first job is to take everything out of the 2005 and the 2003 and load the 2005 with tools and pipe for this weeks work. Then is off to work!

Thankssss

Top Bottom