Help, cold T1N, (in snow)???

sassmatt72

2006 high top long, Fully converted by me
Hello I need help with my 2016 tn1.
I was driving it in Prescott over Christmas and saw the needle under 180 for long periods of time and heater core unable to cope.
I assume I need to cover my radiator how much please help
and is this bad for the van?
Thx Matt

Ps topical since I need to drive to South Bend IN soon.
I can drive the hell outta it in deep snow (New England upbringing), I was charging for sure. Lol
But a cold temp gauge worries me almost as much as a hot one

sailquik

Re: Help, cold TN1, (in snow)???

sassmatt72,
I'm confused here?
Your member info says 2006 Low Top Passenger van with seating for 10,
but the first line of your post says 2016 T1N?
Is your Sprinter a 2016 NCV3 or a 2006 T1N?
No T1N Sprinters (5 cylinder OM-612 in '02/'03 5 cylinder OM-647 om '04-'06) have been shipped to the USA after the 2006 model year.
If you do have a low top 2006 T1N Passenger Sprinter, you may want to get some
soft foam and fill in the 2 dash top ducts as they do add alot of cold air unless you
use the recirculate.
Since your Sprinter is a passenger van do you have the rear heater system?
If your Sprinter is indeed a 2016 NCV3 do you have the OM-651 4 cylinder inline 2.143 liter 2 stage turbocharged engine/7G-Tronic (7 speed) transmission or the OM-642 3.0 liter V6 engine with the 5G-Tronic/NAG-1 (5 speed) transmission?
My 2014 NCV3 170" wheelbase hi-top/short back 516 series (3500 USA) often runs a few degrees below 180 deg. F.
I get more than enough heat @ engine coolant temperatures in the 175-180 deg. F range.
I suspect that your not getting the heater controls and dashboard/ foot well ducts set up correctly.
I can easily make the interior of my Sprinter (the cab area only) uncomfortably warm with the coolant temp @ => 130 deg. F.
It's all about how you set the vents, and how much circulating fan you use, plus where you direct the most available heat.
I mostly put the blower on 1 or 2, the temp @ 72-78 deg. F with the majority of the heat directed at the floor/foot well ducts with just a tiny bit flowing from the dash vents. I keep the passenger side dash vents fully closed by the little vent flaps.
Either way, NCV3 or T1N, temps > 175 deg. F but < 235 deg. F are nothing to be concerned about.
I see no reason for you to mask off part of the radiator. Your Sprinter is probably running right
at the full open thermostat temp.
Close off the ducts to areas where there are no people, set your heater controls for the amount of heat that's comfortable for you and your passengers (if any) and you should
be able to stay toasty warm.
I had a 2006 high top/short back 158" wheelbase Sprinter, and once I plugged the 2 dash top
vents, I was toasty warm and the temps were controlled nicely by the on board climate control
systems.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member

Assuming you have a 2006 ... have you tried turning on your Booster Heater?

It's an extra 5000 btu of fuel-fired heat added to the coolant (drops in flame output when the temp reaches 180 F, comes back up if the coolant cools very much) when the engine is running..

The on/off switch is the horizontal bar on the right-side heater control "knob" (the one with the word REST on the bottom)
If you have a wavy line icon on the left of that bar, there's an LED that should illuminate if you push the bar.
It takes a couple of minutes to get going (and you may see smoke/exhaust coming from your driver's side front wheel well, that's OK).

Boostknob.jpg

--dick
p.s. it only burns about 1 cup of fuel per hour, so it's not going to run you dry

Last edited:

lindenengineering

Hello I need help with my 2016 tn1.
I was driving it in Prescott over Christmas and saw the needle under 180 for long periods of time and heater core unable to cope.
I assume I need to cover my radiator how much please help
and is this bad for the van?
Thx Matt

Ps topical since I need to drive to South Bend IN soon.
I can drive the hell outta it in deep snow (New England upbringing), I was charging for sure. Lol
But a cold temp gauge worries me almost as much as a hot one
For starters change the thermostat.
Opens at 190 dgf and stays there!
Dennis

Top Bottom