Draining DEF from tank - info/pictures

MM24

Has anyone drained the DEF from the tank on the Sprinter 3500 chassis ? We would like to do so and have been told there is a pinch tube on the bottom of the DEF tank (Sprinter 3500) that can be accessed to drain the fluid. Thus you can then add new fresh DEF to the tank.

As our RV sits more than moves and the DEF does have a shelf life of about 2 years (and effected by temperature) it would be safe to drain and fill with fresh DEF as preventative maintenance.

A mechanic stated that the pinch tube on the bottom of the DEF tank is located about 2/3 back (of the cab). This seems like it would be quite far back and would be in the area of the passenger side running board on our LTV Unity. The front area of the wheel well is covered and nothing is visible.

Any help as to the location and access to the bottom of the tank would be greatly appreciated.
TIA :thumbup:

lindenengineering

Re: Draining DEF from tank

There's vent tube come breather underneath the tank on some iterations and a pinch tube on others.

Simply let it all go and refill. I have just done one this morning! DEF fluid came out brown!
No its not a UPS van!
Dennis

lindenengineering

Has anyone drained the DEF from the tank on the Sprinter 3500 chassis ? We would like to do so and have been told there is a pinch tube on the bottom of the DEF tank (Sprinter 3500) that can be accessed to drain the fluid. Thus you can then add new fresh DEF to the tank.

As our RV sits more than moves and the DEF does have a shelf life of about 2 years (and effected by temperature) it would be safe to drain and fill with fresh DEF as preventative maintenance.

A mechanic stated that the pinch tube on the bottom of the DEF tank is located about 2/3 back (of the cab). This seems like it would be quite far back and would be in the area of the passenger side running board on our LTV Unity. The front area of the wheel well is covered and nothing is visible.

Any help as to the location and access to the bottom of the tank would be greatly appreciated.
As as footnote
Yes its get grubby time and slither under the rig at or near the sliding door area.
Don't get the stuff in your eyes!
Dennis

4wheels

There's vent tube come breather underneath the tank on some iterations and a pinch tube on others.

Simply let it all go and refill. I have just done one this morning! DEF fluid came out brown!
No its not a UPS van!
Dennis
Draining DEF tank should be sticky .
Dennis , no need to disconnect anything ? ( electrical )

Last edited:

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi

But is the DEF tank not behind the front bumper on some models?

I seem to recall people not being able to fit fog lights because of DEF tank location.

Keith.

D

Deleted member 50714

What about SUCKING...:thinking:it out with a pump?

D

Deleted member 50714

Where's the fill location? Follow the filler neck to the tank.

D

Deleted member 50714

And another. There's one more but I don't have a picture. The third location the tank is tucked just forward to the right front wheel well. NOTE: Some DEF caps are blue.

Attachments

jackfish

RVs on the Sprinter cab chassis (KP2 option) will have a smaller DEF tank low in the engine compartment on the passenger side.

MM24

Yes, the DEF tank (fill cap) on the Sprinter chassis of the LTV Unity is located right in the front on the passenger side. You cannot see the tank when looking under the hood - just the fill cap. Dennis, we do not have a sliding door that you reference just the side door of the cab. Our tank is the 3.2 gallon tank size.

With that said, we should slide under the front wheel area and look underneath ?
Do you usually drain the tank with the rig on ground or on a lift in the air ?

Thanks for any more "location help" that you may be able to offer -- !

4wheels

"Drain plug "

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Large tank on 2014 . Under passenger door . Started 2015 - they moved tank behind front bumper and is way smaller tank now.

Last edited:

lindenengineering

"Drain plug "

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Large tank on 2014 . Under passenger door . Started 2015 - they moved tank behind front bumper and is way smaller tank now.
Yes
Just pull that hose off!
It will drain
Use a Glemo style clamp from Car Quest if the original gets damaged.
Dennis

4wheels

BTW , my neighbor drives a semi truck . Bought it new . Got CEL for DEF at 200k . Removed DEF tank filter - it was DIRTY ! Cleaned it - all good now .

4wheels

I could not sleep ...
I pulled the hose off yesterday . Drained some DEF , but it was crystal clear . I guess , draining tank applies to RV only or low mileage vans , my 2014 has 120k .
Tractor Supply DEF
Good to check anyway
My friend's DEF system failed on his 14 , at 180k . He was buying DEF at Walmart .
He was getting codes for dirty def injector .

Last edited:

Top Bottom