Convenience Modifications to Unity

Eugene Rider

2016 Unity TB
This is pretty reasonable. We had to replace a key for our older Ford PU and it was $225. SmartKeys are another story. I asked our BMW service tech what a new key would cost. His answer - "You don't want to know" :smirk:
On my 2016, it ran about $200 plus I had to bring in all my keys to have them all reprogramed. That runs $130 at the Benz dealer in Eugene but since I have shops in Eugene and know everyone, they did it for $65.
I keep a key in my safe at home and another one hidden in the coach.

Suza

Has anyone with an IB/TB modified the pull-out TV cabinet? We have no need for two TVs; this would be more than we have at home :smirk: Have been thinking of removing the larger TV from the pull out cabinet as we plan to use the bed area as a lounge and would use that TV more (however, we really don't watch much TV/movies while camping).

Under consideration are:
1. converting the pull out to another pantry (like the one below)
2. I have a maple cutting board that DH made for our 5th-wheel. I put rubber legs on the bottom of it to secure it in place on top of the 4-burner range, extending the counter space and making a landing spot for items while loading the fridge. I plan to use this as a nice counter on top of the recessed stove, but would need a place to store it while in motion. It could go in the cupboard over the fridge, under the sink, but would also fit in the pullout.
3. Shoe rack
4. Pillow, bedding, or towel storage
5. Paper towel holder (not sure it is wide enough for this)
6. Collapsible cookware storage

Any other suggestions, hints or ideas?

Suza

Waiting for our Unity TB to be built gives me a lot of time to contemplate possible modifications. I have always disliked the window valances that come with RVs. I realize the horizontal piece hides the blind installation; this I can live with. But what is the function of the vertical piece? Hide the window frame? Keep the blinds from swinging out during travel? I think they cheapen the esthetics of the interior design. If something doesn't serve a purpose, why have it :idunno:

Good thing is, there are only three valances in the TB. The galley window only has the horizontal, obviously for fire prevention. The other two are in the sleeping area. Does anyone with a TB find that the vertical valance gets in the way in a narrower than standard twin bed? Is it possible to remove just the vertical valance pieces without damaging the installation? Just an idea; let me know what you think :hmmm:

Attachments

SiennaGuy

One of the changes for 2017 is redesigned valances. I couldn't find any photos or videos of them but here's the link to the 2017 update brochure:
http://leisurevans.com/downloads/pdf/2017_Product_Updates.pdf

On page 2 it says, "Redesigned valances w/ privacy clips (incl. U24FX)." If you're getting a 2016, maybe you should wait and see what the new ones look like. Ideally, they won't have the vertical pieces and they'll be able to retrofit them on your TB.

Suza

One of the changes for 2017 is redesigned valances. I couldn't find any photos or videos of them but here's the link to the 2017 update brochure:
http://leisurevans.com/downloads/pdf/2017_Product_Updates.pdf

On page 2 it says, "Redesigned valances w/ privacy clips (incl. U24FX)." If you're getting a 2016, maybe you should wait and see what the new ones look like. Ideally, they won't have the vertical pieces and they'll be able to retrofit them on your TB.
I wonder what it means, "incl. U24FX"? Some changes do not list a model, so the assumption is they apply to all. Some changes list models, but do not say "incl". Our TB will be a 2017. I'm hoping what you say is true, they have eliminated the vertical pieces. Privacy clips are probably to secure the roller shades?

I can't wait for someone to take delivery of a 2017 TB, or at least any Unity, so we can see examples of some of these changes. LTV doesn't seem in a hurry to update photos on their webpage :yell:

mozart

Waiting for our Unity TB to be built gives me a lot of time to contemplate possible modifications. I have always disliked the window valances that come with RVs. I realize the horizontal piece hides the blind installation; this I can live with. But what is the function of the vertical piece? Hide the window frame? Keep the blinds from swinging out during travel? I think they cheapen the esthetics of the interior design. If something doesn't serve a purpose, why have it :idunno:

Good thing is, there are only three valances in the TB. The galley window only has the horizontal, obviously for fire prevention. The other two are in the sleeping area. Does anyone with a TB find that the vertical valance gets in the way in a narrower than standard twin bed? Is it possible to remove just the vertical valance pieces without damaging the installation? Just an idea; let me know what you think :hmmm:
The function of the vertical valances is two-fold; providing privacy and stopping annoying light from entering the gap between the roll-down shades and the outer wall. I'm pleased that LTV had the foresight to provide them, but, as always, your YMMV.

Suza

The function of the vertical valances is two-fold; providing privacy and stopping annoying light from entering the gap between the roll-down shades and the outer wall. I'm pleased that LTV had the foresight to provide them, but, as always, your YMMV.
Thanks for explaining the purpose of the vertical valances. I hadn't thought of this. will probably keep them :thumbup:

mikego

In the pic of the water pump that you posted was that an accumulator/ water tank connected to the pump? Looks to be a factory setup and very neat. I'm wanting something to prevent the constant off and on of the pump. Irritating to me and can't be good for the pressure switch or the pump motor. Is this what you were depicting in your picture? Please advise where you obtained the tank if in fact you added it to your system. Thanks for your posts and for your reply.

Normand

In the pic of the water pump that you posted was that an accumulator/ water tank connected to the pump? Looks to be a factory setup and very neat. I'm wanting something to prevent the constant off and on of the pump. Irritating to me and can't be good for the pressure switch or the pump motor. Is this what you were depicting in your picture? Please advise where you obtained the tank if in fact you added it to your system. Thanks for your posts and for your reply.
Same problem. Water pump noisy and start too often, sometimes in small pump action.
Let me know if you have a solution. I have a MB model

Suza

Same problem. Water pump noisy and start too often, sometimes in small pump action.
Let me know if you have a solution. I have a MB model
Curious to hear the answer to this. I can't believe that, after all the years RVs have come equipped with these noisy annoying water pumps, someone hasn't come up with a better way.

This wouldn't work in a motorhome, but when I was growing up we had a houseboat. It had a top deck (aka, the roof). This served as a sundeck, diving platform and sleeping porch. It is also where the water tank was located. Tap water was gravity fed with no obnoxious pump. There was limited 12v for lights and 110 when on shore power. We cooked a three burner cast iron propane stovetop and the fridge was a residential compressor unit converted to propane. We had no hot water system and just a chemical toilet. Life was good :thumbup:

Last edited:

cdcorpe

2014 Murphy Bed
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=67240&d=1429366389 The only addition I added is the plastic wire tie.
https://www.amazon.com/SHURflo-182-...473089622&sr=8-1&keywords=rv+pump+accumulator

Tannys

2016 Unity TB Portland OR
I got real tired of piling stuff in the medicine cabinet and having it fall out upon opening the medicine cabinet door when reaching my destination. In the 4 months that I have owned my 2016 Unity TB I have been challenged by the medicine cabinet so I built a shelf to make the space useful. The new shelf has a 1 1/2 inch lip to keep items from falling out when the medicine cabinet door is opened. I also added a bungee to keep things on the bottom shelf stable while in transit.

Attachments

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
I added some things to make my utility compartment work better for me and give it some space organization. I also cut another hole to put the waste tank rinse hose up thru so I can leave everything attached and close the doors. Used a 2" pvc pipe fitting with a cap so I can close it when not in use.

Attachments

Normand

I will never use the black tank flushing hose on the same as fresh water supply...
Always a chance of cross-contamination. Even if there was a back flow on the hose

Klipstr

2018 Wonder FTB
Added another shelf to the fridge. Used the 12" wide wire shelving from Lowes. Width is 17.75". My cut was a little snug so it fits in nicely. I left the lip up to help hold stuff on the shelf. I'm guessing some of the other plastic shelves might go. I like this better and it will clean up easily...

Attachments

travler

travler
Added another shelf to the fridge. Used the 12" wide wire shelving from Lowes. Width is 17.75". My cut was a little snug so it fits in nicely. I left the lip up to help hold stuff on the shelf. I'm guessing some of the other plastic shelves might go. I like this better and it will clean up easily...
what area in Lowes did you find the shelf?

Suza

It's a type of joinery where a hole is drilled at a slight angle in such a way it allows the screw to be recessed and hidden. I used two against the curved wall and another one into the existing cabinet:

-Lee
I think my son has a jig for this.

Thanks!

Top Bottom