A/C Compressor Rebuild

Shibby!

Has anybody found the seals/parts to do this?

My compressor is leaking by evidence of dust/debri accumulation behind and around the clutch. A quick and dirty test pressuring it up with coolant resulted in a hissing noise coming from the compressor area.

Being that I'm from a cooler area in Canada, I rarely use air condition. Maybe a couple weeks in the summer, and during the winter when turning on defrost. This van is not used daily and generally only gets used for motorcycle trips and weekend rides/camping.

For this reason, I'd rather not sink a ton of money into a system that will rarely get used, however enjoy DIY projects and think rebuilding a compressor is not rocket science. A few seals and proper assembly is all that's required. Replace the dryer and expansion valve and proper fill of coolant might see the system back in action for about 100-150 USD (not sure what an AC charge costs here). In comparison, the Denso/Hella compressor alone is 218-268 USD. Not including dryer, valve, and recharge.

With that said, would anybody know where to find rebuild parts for this compressor? (2005 NA 2.7l with front AC only).

I've seen other kits, mainly GM vehicles, for around 30-50$. For a few hours work that would net good savings and I could likely learn a thing or two in the process.

Dougflas

DAD OWNER
What will you do if the bearings are worn, shaft has a wear spot on it? The clutch to my knowledge is not available which also a wear part. You would be better off buying a compressor and clutch ass'y. They are going for about 3 bills (denso) new. Denso 473-1293 at Autozone is $335.00 2 yr warranty

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Rockauto has a compressor (sold by GPD not sure if aftermarket?), dryer, expansion valve, and O-rings for $223+shipping.

The GPD compressor alone is $187. The Denso compressor alone is $218.

I would second the suggestion to replace the compressor. There are quite a few wear parts on them, and at higher miles its probably not worth rebuilding without all the tools/parts. If the unit leaks or fails you are out even more in repairs. (Flush, recharge, new compressor).

Last edited:

Shibby!

Possibly.

Special tools are limited when working on compressors. They seem pretty simple and it appears I have all the tools required already.

Big reason is I hate no-name parts. I've never heard of GPD, at at least know and recognize Denso or Hella as being quality manufactures.

I'll put some consideration into it. I didn't see the combined price of parts for $223.

BenJohnson

2006 2500 T1N
I am with Shibby on this. Cost of living in Canada is very quickly escalating and $233USD compressor pretty quickly turns to $500CAD after the cost of shipping, taxes, sometimes duties, and conversion rate.

If it was me, I would tear it down just to see if its bearings. Cheap and easy to do. If its other parts, then I would take it one problem at a time. If I determined it was going to be too much hassle or too difficult to repair, then I would consider a new unit.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I am with Shibby on this. Cost of living in Canada is very quickly escalating and $233USD compressor pretty quickly turns to $500CAD after the cost of shipping, taxes, sometimes duties, and conversion rate.

Ah, your in Canada. Given the currency situation, a teardown might be in order. If your lucky, only the shaft seal will need replaced. I do not know of a source for the Denso compressor parts though.

Dougflas

DAD OWNER
If you're in Canada, how much do you need AC? You could also use a compressor eliminator pulley set up and not have AC. You may not need an expansion valve; just a drier and compressor. look at it this way...you're driving along with your replaced seal compressor and it locks up by the clutch. The clutch bearing is bad. Put a price on the aggravation.

Shibby!

Van has just shy of 200km on it (120ish miles).

In our local climate, I'd maybe use the AC 3-6 times in a summer, another 5-10 times in the winter for defrost. We don't get many days above 24 degrees. (Celsius) and most mornings are in the low teens. Just how I like it.

Last year we did a week long Idaho trip in mostly 30+ degree heat. My buddy was giving me a hard time because he's a princess. Much of it we were driving backroads slowly to poach amazing dirt bike trails so I didn't have an issue with it.

This year I'm planning another return trip to Idaho, and another to Kelowna/Kamloops including other western areas of B.C. Both very hot areas.

As mentioned, when on par, things were fine. These days it's 40% more CDN, even if I ship to the border and skip the duties (which I have this option in the next month... just in time for spring warm-up and bike trips).

Thanks for the help guys. I'll consider it. Wish I would have bought the parts last year when I was in the states before the dollar crapped out.

It's all about me being cheap =) I'm just not one to value air conditioning all that much due to it's rare usage.

Gaspiper

What if I told you the grass is greener on our side where you can buy an OEM Denso unit for $350 ?

Gaspiper

I am impressed - free shipping too. And from the Canadian warehouse. Hrmmm, maybe if Amazon.ca offers it at that price, the local jobber supply might get it even cheaper!
It went down to $273 last night but back up this morning and still less then the normal rate of $350 . Come Summer it will be a full rate for sure .I would check it again Friday night .

Shibby!

Hot damn.

Good stuff. Still need the accessories but that's not overly expensive.

I wasn't aware prices have to be watched that closely either. If I saw 270$ I would have bought right there. I guess I need to keep an eye on this for awhile.

Shibby!

Thanks guys.

Interesting bit about Amazon.

I've decided to not do anything with the A/C after hearing a flush and recharge would be another 280-300$. It's not worth 700$+ to me. Nearly 10% of my original purchase price of the whole van.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Thanks guys.

Interesting bit about Amazon.

I've decided to not do anything with the A/C after hearing a flush and recharge would be another 280-300$. It's not worth 700$+ to me. Nearly 10% of my original purchase price of the whole van.
If you have the time, you can flush the system yourself using Semi truck air line dryer (pure alcohol). You can charge the system yourself as well, but you need a scale to measure charge by weight. You would also need to borrow/rent/buy a vacuum pump.

But yeah, it gets expensive fast. A few months ago I did a compressor/dryer/flush/recharge on a domestic SUV and it was about 450USD in parts, oil, and 134A. I borrowed a manifold gauge set and vacuum pump. Of course down here we need AC 8 months of the year.

Top Bottom