Found a metal shaving in my EGR

Zymurgy

Buckeye Zymurgist
I have had some issues with my 2004 140,00mile sprinter. I had black death repaired, replaced the turbo resonator, but still going into limp mode occasionally along with a loss of power at times. I removed the EGR valve, carbon not bad but there was a slight catch and would hopefully explain the intermittent problems.

However I found a metal shaving inside the valve. look at 7 o'clock, and then I removed it. The valve seem to found fine. Nice strong spring response no hesitation after initial cleaning.

Any ideas, I was thinking it was floating in the cooling system and got hung up inside the valve? Don't worry about it and have a beer?

Attachments

Last edited:

sailquik

Zymurgy,
Good catch!
Could have come from several sources I guess, but that you looked in and found it is a bit miraculous.
Roger

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
If it was in the air side I'd say it's part of a disintegrating Turbo and bad $$ news, but there maybe a water pump flaw

Zymurgy

Buckeye Zymurgist
If it was in the air side I'd say it's part of a disintegrating Turbo and bad $$ news, but there maybe a water pump flaw
Yes glad it is not on the turbo side. You probably nailed it on the water pump, good call. I replaced it about 3 years ago, totally forgot about it until you mentioned it as a possibility. Thanks

sailquik

Definitely looks like a chip from the machining (from a lathe or milling machine from the look of it) of some part of the engine or
one of the ancillaries during it's original manufacture.
Could also have come out of one of the water passages in the engine block or cylinder head.
Roger

Zymurgy

Buckeye Zymurgist
Well it appears I have made matters worst. Now it is in limp mode from the start. I have a leak too, anyone know off hand what the bolts are torqued to? I didn't have a socket that would work but, a 12 point 5/16th wrench that worked.

I have an engine light now too. I will pull the code to see what it has brought up.

bc339

Hopefully you have a new gasket.

The torque value is pretty light at 124 in/lbs - that's 10.3 ft/lbs.

If you prefer metric, it's 14 Nm.

Bruce

Zymurgy

Buckeye Zymurgist
Hopefully you have a new gasket.

The torque value is pretty light at 124 in/lbs - that's 10.3 ft/lbs.

If you prefer metric, it's 14 Nm.

Bruce
Thanks Bruce, I did buy a new gasket. I knew it was pretty light. I had read it some where before and couldn't find it in a new search.

Zymurgy

Buckeye Zymurgist
Update for anyone interested. I did have a bad EGR valve on the electronic side of it. Mechanically it seem to respond fine, but still had the same problem. It was actually worse because it never left the limp mode. Gave up, towed to stealership confirmed it was a bad EGR replaced and I am back on the road. I should have replaced it myself, but I have gotten gun shy with this van, every time I work on it I make it worse. Thanks for the advice guys.

Good to hear your problems are resolved.

Although often the mechanical side of the EGR is the culprit, the electronics are not without some history of failure.

I don't recall. During troubleshooting did you ever see any EGR DTC's from a scan? If yes, which code(s)? Was it a generic scan tool or one that is Sprinter specific.

vic

Zymurgy

Buckeye Zymurgist
Good to hear your problems are resolved.

Although often the mechanical side of the EGR is the culprit, the electronics are not without some history of failure.

I don't recall. During troubleshooting did you ever see any EGR DTC's from a scan? If yes, which code(s)? Was it a generic scan tool or one that is Sprinter specific.

vic
I got 3 codes 404, 299, and 675. If that might help someone else in the future.

Top Bottom