ECU Chip upgrade

urbanbye

I am considering the upgrade of my ECU. I see that there are basically 2 alternatives. The first is to send the ECU to InMotion for reprogramming. The second choice is to buy an add on ECU (DIGI) from the SprinterStore.

Both make similar claims as to markedly improved torque and HP. Both make similar claims to improve MPG.

Large difference in price between the two.

Does anyond out there have any experience with these products? Are there driveability issues here?

Arthur

2006 Chassis, 2500 T1N Sprinter, Great West Vans Legend conversion RV

KL2BE

I am considering the upgrade of my ECU. I see that there are basically 2 alternatives. The first is to send the ECU to InMotion for reprogramming. The second choice is to buy an add on ECU (DIGI) from the SprinterStore.

Does anyond out there have any experience with these products? Are there driveability issues here?

Arthur

2006 Chassis, 2500 T1N Sprinter, Great West Vans Legend conversion RV
I'm going to watch this thread with great interest :popcorn: ; I'm very skeptical that one can improve upon the design parameters of MB engineers without side effects:hmmm:.
Not that I think MB engineers are infallible mind you :wtf:. There is clear documentation of their screw-up on the Turbo Resonator :yell:, the NAG transmission :thumbdown: and the wimpy suspension :rant:. I discovered another myself; a poorly designed intake snorkel that allows blowing snow to plug the air-cleaner :bash:.
Still, I would have to hear from someone like Dr. A before I would start buying into Hype put out by a hawker of an after-market mileage improver (with their typical unscientific antidotal testimonials).
Certainly there are proven performance-enhancing modifications that can be made to almost any stock engine; but usually at the expense of longevity, reliability or drivability.
I'm all ears.
PS: I did find this old thread which gives a lot of leads on further research. http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=378&highlight=performance+chip Surely some have had experience since the last post there.

Last edited:

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
I ran a piggy back type chip for a while. It did give more torque on my OM612, claimed 380Nm from 330Nm, but it is an engine known to respond well to such treatment.

I took it off after a few years. Am fairly certain it contributed to the premature demise of a clutch pack and flywheel.

A search will reveal more detail.

Nate

Still, I would have to hear from someone like Dr. A before I would start buying into Hype put out by a hawker of an after-market mileage improver (with their typical unscientific antidotal testimonials).

I would have to say that 99% of the time a re-chipping will increase your mileage. It's quite common on just about all types of cars. But to do so your engine has to run between different parameters than what MB gave it for an allowance.

Obviously if you do anything to enhance the performance of your engine, even if to gain MPG's, you're taking a chance that it may affect the longevity oor reliability of your engine.

I have two Sprinters, a 02 & 04. The 02 I had the ECU tuned and the speed limiter removed by Inmotion. They did a great job. The increase in performance is absolut stunning. That was 80k miles ago and I had zero problems. I do however drive with the awareness of the added power and apply it carefully, just incase it could heard the trani. For a german the removal of the speed limiter is a must :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:. Regarding fuel consumption: I can tell you it defently did not go up. It is hard to keep the foot of the pedal it drives so nice. If you can control; yourself you will save fuel. For heavy loads it is a blessing to have the added power as well.

On mine 04 I had the ECU tuned in Germany based on promises that the removal of the speed limiter would be no problem. Inmotion told me they cannot remove it and have invested a lot of time to find out how but were no successful as of yet. To make the story short my friends in Germany were full of sh.....t. It took two attempts for the tuning and I am still working on the speed limiter. I can only recommend Inmotion. There price is very reasonable for what you get and that is a full ECU.

Sven

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
I would have to say that 99% of the time a re-chipping will increase your mileage. It's quite common on just about all types of cars. But to do so your engine has to run between different parameters than what MB gave it for an allowance.

That is not the experience with Sprinters. Lots on info and links on YahooSprinterVan, including other reviews by those who purchased chips/reprogramming.

rlent

That was 80k miles ago and I had zero problems. I do however drive with the awareness of the added power and apply it carefully, just incase it could heard the trani.
Well, that's probably the trick I'd imagine .....

Anybody here wanna bet that ya can't beat a Sprinter, in stock dress, to death by flogging it ?

Design parameters are the result of alot of different considerations ......

But saying that one is doomed to blow an engine or cause a premature failure has about as much validity as saying that just because the engine is stock it means you can't beat it to death ..... moderation and common sense in all things.

scubanw3

So…in Europe, the Sprinter engine is rated at 185hp. If you tuned your Sprinter from the NAFTA 154hp to Euro 185hp, you think it will hurt the engine?

Thank you, John
Sprinter Store
http://sprinterstore.com/
A division of Upscale Automotive, Inc.
19460 SW 89th Ave.
Tualatin, OR 97062
503-692-0846

SteinarN

I got mine 03 manual with an 612 engine tuned by a Danish guy. He showed up at my place, took out the ECU, installed new software and put it in again in 5 min. He said the HP should increase from my original 156 up to 180 I think. He claimed the torque to increase from original 330 Nm up to 378 Nm I think.
It was a huge difference! A lot more torque from about 1700 rpm and all the way to the end.

However I also have some serious doubt. The most worrying is a huge vibration and actually a lugging engine at full throttle at rpm's between roughly 1700 and 2300. If I flore the throttle slowly then the vibrations and lugging isnt as severe or maybe isnt there at all. The second is noticeable smoking at full throttle below about 1500 to 1600 rpm. I therefore is careful in applying the extra power at rpm's below 2300.

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
The danger with this type of mod is that yes initially it feels great, psychologically perhaps you believe you've somehow liberated the engine, that it now performs "as it should" (...?)

I can say is that the ECU mod was the only thing that changed on my engine. Is it coincidence that the clutch and flywheel that also happened to be fitted at that time didn't last nearly as long as the previous or succeeding items? No - I don't believe it is.

I'm not saying that the OM612 isn't better without the mod, on this engine there is a noticeable difference, I'm just saying that the T1N clutch and flywheel aren't up to the task of handling another 30hp and 50Nm, especially in the heavier model variants such as 416 / 3500.

Check out the price of a complete clutch with release bearing and flywheel (~£1,100 at UK dealer), and be warned!

Top Bottom