this saved me $150

Just purchased my first sprinter. It is an 03 cargo. The rearend sounded quite loud driving down the highway. When I contacted my local Dodge stealership about ordering bearings I found that the cost was quite high. I cross referenced the bearings to find out that they are identical to a dodge charger. When catologued as such, they are about $150 cheaper for the 4 bearings(2 pinion, 2 carrier). Just had them installed and they worked out great. ---Marc

m88043
m88010
lm803110
lm803146
lm806649
lm806610

You should be able to give these numbers to any gear house. This will get you bearings and races for the pinion and carrrier.--Marc

mhy-copperstate

Just purchased my first sprinter. It is an 03 cargo. The rearend sounded quite loud driving down the highway. When I contacted my local Dodge stealership about ordering bearings I found that the cost was quite high. I cross referenced the bearings to find out that they are identical to a dodge charger. When catologued as such, they are about $150 cheaper for the 4 bearings(2 pinion, 2 carrier). Just had them installed and they worked out great. ---Marc

I was just talking to a seller who had replaced the bearings but says the rear end still has a whine. Did you have the bearings installed at a mechanic or DIY? I am concerned that the ring and pinion is compromised. thanks

I did not R&R the rear end. We ended up replacing the pinion bearings and seal. When looking inside the rearend, the axle bearings seem very overkill for the vehicle and shouldnt fail anytime soon. As far as replacing the R&P because of damage, It is likely that these parts could be obtained much cheaper through a parts house as well. HTH-Marc

It just occurred to me that this information should be added here. If anyone does need to replace a ring and pinion they need to know that although it may seem like a good time to change to that gear ratio you always wanted to have, it's not. The drive ratios are encoded into the ECM (aka PCM or ECU) and to the best of my knowledge cannot be changed to adapt to any rear end gear ratio changes.

The same applies to installing a used rear axle assembly from another vehicle. The ratios must be the same.

It has been discussed here on this forum. A search will get you some more details if you're interested. AP/vic

A recent thread on rear oil seals kinda ties in here also with rear end work. There is general information and rear seal part numbers in the thread. Thanks goes to all contributors. vic

rear wheel seals
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12911

20121218 edit: Info about OEM part numbers from a recent for sale post.
2006 Sprinter new pinion gear bearings and seal for sale (also, a rear end/differential core for sale),
they were special order and could not be returned to the Dodge dealer,
I also have a good core for a 3.72 rear end/differential assembly that these parts go on;
if you need to rebuild one of these, give me your offer for this core and/or new bearings and seal.

Part
05103900AA
SEAL. Drive Pinion. $22.35 OBO

05134442AA
BEARING. Rear. Drive Pinion. 80.60 OBO

05136772AA
BEARING. Front. 45.30 OBO

send me a pm.

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited:

It just occurred to me that this information should be added here. If anyone does need to replace a ring and pinion they need to know that although it may seem like a good time to change to that gear ratio you always wanted to have, it's not.
AP/vic
I believe that staying with the original rear end gear ratio still applies to T1N models. It does not apply to 2007 year and probably other NCV3 models. If a different ratio gear set is installed the new ratio info can be adjusted/accepted by a dealership using the computer.

More details are here for a 2010 3.92 rear end being swapped into a 2007 and replacing a 4.18 OEM unit.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=155717#post155717

AP

Last edited:

Top Bottom