3.0 engine blow up

bhsprinter

Hi guys,I have 2008 dodge 2500 with 3.0 engine, Engine just blow up and need be replaced,anybody knows for good used engine where can buy it..I lieve in Indianapolis.Thnx

lindenengineering

There are several floating about with lowish miles. (All over the board up to 250,000 miles!)

A non Bluetech engine is on average about $8000 plus shipping with 85,000 miles on it..
The one I saw was located in Virgina. in a wrecking yard
Need a long block?
Then a rebuilt from Sprinter Warehouse in Texas is about the same with a warranty if you want to put some elbow grease into building a complete drop in unit from a Long Block.
Dennis
ps
Time to get up to looking at a tier 5 re-power package with these prices staying steady.
D

shanemac

My buddies 08 2500 with the 3.0 $h!t the bed last year. What's up with the engines that is causing failure?

lindenengineering

My buddies 08 2500 with the 3.0 $h!t the bed last year. What's up with the engines that is causing failure?
Basically oiling issues.

From what I have seen so far apart from stupidity like DEF fluid in the crankcase, 2007 /2008 models seem to grenade at about 250 to 280,000 miles. I have only seen a few with more than 300,000 on them and still running .

Bluetechs are worse and it seem if they get to 135,000 to 155,000 miles without blowing out the lower end! Then many seem to get towards the 250,000 without issues BUT I haven't yet seen any Bluetech engine blowers with that recorded mileage YET!

I have four Sprinters in my yard abandoned by their owners due to engine failure. .
Two of them are NCV3 906 3500 box trucks. At the rate is going I will have enough to re-power with something more durable and have a commercial transport fleet in my old age ! :laughing:
Now that "me larking" it will turn my already grey hair white!:hmmm:
Cheers Dennis

lindenengineering

Generally speaking you won't hear a boom.

You will get a sudden shudder, loss of power and then the sound of leprechauns with little hammers down in the hold! :laughing:
Then--if you keep on limp driving, hoping to make it to somewhere "comfortably acceptable" it WILL grenade!
Then how do you say Your screwed in German? And you are stuck on the Trans Canadian Highway somewhere west of Banff! near Kicking Horse Canyon :idunno: FFS And its snowing! (Bin thur dun that!)

AND the nearest neighbour is a Grizzly!:laughing: And it at that time you wished you had stayed curled up in the sack with a nurse in Banff !
Ha haa ha!
Dennis

shanemac

Those are sounds I hope to never hear from my sprinter...:bow: but I did hear the same thing from my 1997 Pontiac transport 3 years ago :censored::censored: luckily I was only 3 km's from home...no grizzlies either.

Last edited:

trz453

There are several floating about with lowish miles. (All over the board up to 250,000 miles!)

A non Bluetech engine is on average about $8000 plus shipping with 85,000 miles on it..
The one I saw was located in Virgina. in a wrecking yard
Need a long block?
Then a rebuilt from Sprinter Warehouse in Texas is about the same with a warranty if you want to put some elbow grease into building a complete drop in unit from a Long Block.
Dennis
ps
Time to get up to looking at a tier 5 re-power package with these prices staying steady.
D
Sheesh, with those prices it might be worthwhile importing from Europe. Van Kronenburg in the Netherlands has rebuilt OM642 longblocks for sale on German Ebay for ~3500€ without VAT (its 4250€ for us in Euroland). Edit: There is also a 750€ core charge (~$820 US) which obviously would be paid.

Of course if you get it shipped to the US you shouldn't be charged VAT afaik, so it would be about $4670 US as your starting price (with the core charge penalty included) before shipping a palleted 3.0 and taxes/duties from the US Gubbermint.

Another plus is that everyone in the Netherlands speaks better English than 90% of native English speakers, so there's no language barrier.

Eric Experience

May be time to fit oil pressure gauges to your motor before it gets to the grenade miles. this is the approach we are trying in Australia with our exploding motors. The suspect component is the oil pressure relief valve, Eric.

lindenengineering

Yes Eric agreed!
There are lot of reasons from down right neglect, some abuse (like putting DEF liquid in the oil) to internal failures and stuff failing off like an oil pump drive chain.

The oil cooler doesn't help. Its prone to leakage at it sealing gaskets to block ports anyway, and I have one specimen that blew its guts out, lost oil pressure and locked up wrecking the crank and block tunnel.
Its not a forgiving engine! As you have mentioned an oil pressure gauge wouldn't go amiss! Perhaps even a shut down device but then the controls have enough limp and shut downs already---BUT not for this!:laughing:
Cheers Dennis

trz453

May be time to fit oil pressure gauges to your motor before it gets to the grenade miles. this is the approach we are trying in Australia with our exploding motors. The suspect component is the oil pressure relief valve, Eric.
Sounds also like a reason NOT to run a 30-weight oil like the Mercedes dealers are now doing. :2cents:

Porsche HQ in Stuttgart swears up and down that that Mobil 0w40 is recommeded/back-spec'd for ALL Porsche engines including air-cooled and vintage ones, but Mobil 0w40, despite being a great oil, is still on the light side for 40 weight oil -- its just barely north of the 30/40-weight border. People with experience in vintage Porsche racing usually run a thicker mineral 15w40 or 20w50 for daily driving and often go with Mobil 15w50 if they want a synthetic. They have had problems with low oil pressure running mobil 0w40 despite Porsche telling them its ok.

lindenengineering

Sheesh, with those prices it might be worthwhile importing from Europe. Van Kronenburg in the Netherlands has rebuilt OM642 longblocks for sale on German Ebay for ~3500€ without VAT (its 4250€ for us in Euroland). Edit: There is also a 750€ core charge (~$820 US) which obviously would be paid.

Of course if you get it shipped to the US you shouldn't be charged VAT afaik, so it would be about $4670 US as your starting price (with the core charge penalty included) before shipping a palleted 3.0 and taxes/duties from the US Gubbermint.

Another plus is that everyone in the Netherlands speaks better English than 90% of native English speakers, so there's no language barrier.
I have an inquiry with those guys the moment.
But thanks for posting that!
The core or exchange unit price is a bit mute though.
The cost to ship back the displaced unit would probably add up to be about the same as the core charge methinks even going surface.
I have the need for four engines at the moment!
I can almost hear a sucking sound of dollars flowing into Euros across the pond!:laughing:
:cheers:Dennis

Timberdog

Wow, you guys are such a positive bunch...lol. I own a V6 Honda Ridgeline with over a 100,000 miles and use 5W 20 Honda oil. All maintenance as per the maintenance minder. I expect to get twice that mileage. I tow with it, constantly overload it and make it work for me, it's a work truck. Now if MB is telling me to use one of their approved oils, I was using Mobil 1 5w 40 but now I've switched to the 30 weight, then that's what I'll do. I follow the maintenance minder and do my own oil and fuel filter changes. I currently have 56K on my motor, I expect to get five times that while keeping up to date on maintenance. I'm running a class C MH. My experience is if you maintain it, it will respond in kind.

showkey

Wow, you guys are such a positive bunch...lol. I own a V6 Honda Ridgeline with over a 100,000 miles and use 5W 20 Honda oil. All maintenance as per the maintenance minder. I expect to get twice that mileage. I tow with it, constantly overload it and make it work for me, it's a work truck. Now if MB is telling me to use one of their approved oils, I was using Mobil 1 5w 40 but now I've switched to the 30 weight, then that's what I'll do. I follow the maintenance minder and do my own oil and fuel filter changes. I currently have 56K on my motor, I expect to get five times that while keeping up to date on maintenance. I'm running a class C MH. My experience is if you maintain it, it will respond in kind.
If we turn this into an oil thread..........
The Ridgeline can use 0w- 20
I would hold off on the 30w.......Not thinking 30w in the MB is going work well........not to mention I do not think you would find DPF low ash 229.51 approved oil in the straight weight variety. So then you will be writing in about a $1200 DPF at way less than 200,000 miles.

:hmmm:I think getting any class C to 200,000 mile would be a real challenge.........even if the motor trans and chassis is still good the body and the house would be used up.

Just a wild guess but high mileage failures might be related to the cam chains and tensioners that we have talked about prior.

Basically oiling issues.

I have four Sprinters in my yard abandoned by their owners due to engine failure. .

Cheers Dennis
So Dennis.......new business opportunities you ........now .....you own a Sprinter salvage yard :hmmm:::dripsarcasm:

Or now you have a "known good" used parts supply in the back yard :laughing: known good being the key word :bash:

Last edited:

trz453

So basically if some form of apparent authority (real or not) says "jump", you say "how high?" Good to know. :thumbup:

lindenengineering

The issue is?????
Wait for it---!!!!!!

What is the cost to maintain it so that it doesn't break/fail? So that it will using your statement:- respond in kind

I can think of numerous vehicles that are "heavy" on the maintenance.
Like quite a few Ferraris, VW Phaeton, the Landrover (Flandie) Freelander 2.5 V6 $1500 timing belt jobs every 40,000 miles else the engine grenades! Just to name a few latter day stuff!
BMW variable valve timing jobs every 100,000 miles. again come to mind ($2000 job)
Challenger Mk1 Battle tank with Leyland L60 engine change out the Engine every 400 engine hours.:laughing:I kid you not!

AND of course topped off by the famous Tiger Panzer tank which needed lots of TLC & truck loads off gasoline. All whooped by floods of cheap arsed American and Russian built tanks. In fact one of the cheap arsed Russian tactical units could blow it to smithereens if it got into its sights! So in short nice with lost of ownership pride but it was like a shark once stopped swimming it was dead meat and didn't need maintenance

So to the private ownership world having a high maintenance vehicle for personal business and pleasure is very nice, a bit like having a high maintenance trophy wife I suppose!

BUT In the dog eat dog "whirled" of commercial vehicles and transporting "stuff" from one place to another cost and fleet availability are big factors in cost per mile. One of those parts of the pie chart in operating costs is a thing called "Maintenance" . Do you have a pie chart on those vehicles you run?
It can make or break an operation, and it why bean counters run successful fleets and have pie charts and like kind to monitor costs.
When operating costs get too high, mantra dump the crap stop the bleeding!
Dennis

Trayscott

I know of Hino diesel powered bayliners in Alaska with north of 22,000 hours on them. At 40 mph if in a road vehicle is 880000 miles. And so simple they are!

If we turn this into an oil thread..........
I actually have a statistic for NAS aka NAFTA NCV3 high mileage Sprinter engines.

To date 99+% very high mileage N. American OM642 engines got there on a 5w-40 MB229.51 formulation.

How do I know that? Because finding other viscosity MB229.51 oil on the shelves in N. America is next to impossible.

Maybe there are high mile 0w-30 MB229.51 OM642 EURO engines as they do have some fairly common 0w-30 choices. :idunno:

As to N. American OM642 engines... why change what works?

Back to topic. (Please take any general oil discussion not related to "blowing up" to one of the many existing oil threads.)

vic

Last edited:

Timberdog

[/B]

The issue is?????
Wait for it---!!!!!!

What is the cost to maintain it so that it doesn't break/fail? So that it will using your statement:- respond in kind

I can think of numerous vehicles that are "heavy" on the maintenance.
Like quite a few Ferraris, VW Phaeton, the Landrover (Flandie) Freelander 2.5 V6 $1500 timing belt jobs every 40,000 miles else the engine grenades! Just to name a few latter day stuff!
BMW variable valve timing jobs every 100,000 miles. again come to mind ($2000 job)
Challenger Mk1 Battle tank with Leyland L60 engine change out the Engine every 400 engine hours.:laughing:I kid you not!

AND of course topped off by the famous Tiger Panzer tank which needed lots of TLC & truck loads off gasoline. All whooped by floods of cheap arsed American and Russian built tanks. In fact one of the cheap arsed Russian tactical units could blow it to smithereens if it got into its sights! So in short nice with lost of ownership pride but it was like a shark once stopped swimming it was dead meat and didn't need maintenance

So to the private ownership world having a high maintenance vehicle for personal business and pleasure is very nice, a bit like having a high maintenance trophy wife I suppose!

BUT In the dog eat dog "whirled" of commercial vehicles and transporting "stuff" from one place to another cost and fleet availability are big factors in cost per mile. One of those parts of the pie chart in operating costs is a thing called "Maintenance" . Do you have a pie chart on those vehicles you run?
It can make or break an operation, and it why bean counters run successful fleets and have pie charts and like kind to monitor costs.
When operating costs get too high, mantra dump the crap stop the bleeding!
Dennis
Can't argue with fleet costs, makes total sense. On the tank thing, I know a little about that, 60-70 tons of steel going 40 mph cross country you'd be a little worn out to after 400 hours. That's why most tank transporters have the same engine as the tank, spare engine available. Tigers were a support weapon more than a tank, the Panzer was the tank of choice. Sherman's had an exponential mechanical failure rate as well as were sitting ducks for Panzers until the gun upgrade. Russians had over 20 million killed in WWII. Back to topic, crappy MB engines:thumbup:

Top Bottom