Exhaust system clogging up fix

maxzoom

2006 T1N 118" + 2006 T1N 140" + 2005 T1N 118"
A mechanic friend of mine who has worked on a few Sprinters recommended this to me for my problem with the exhaust system clogging up with soot and black smoke coming out the tail pipe and low power.

Here is what we did... Spray about 2-3 seconds of brake cleaner into the EGR intake manifold. Wait about 20 minutes and then start the engine. The engine will not start easy... you need to hold the pedal to the metal about 10-20 seconds while cranking. Once started a tremendous cloud of black smoke and huge puddle of soot came out the tail pipe. (make sure no one is standing back there)!

After we did this the Sprinter ran much better right away... more power and no black smoke.

He recommends doing this every couple of weeks or as needed.

I posted about this a couple weeks ago and talkinghorse43 thought this was a very bad idea. Anyone else have any comments on this?

mgjessop

I am Thinking you might be having other issue's that are causing you to have such a problem with black soot... How Much Oil are you burning? And also any chance that you got some bad diesel?

I think your Cat, is probably gone or really shot by now... You might want to check to see if it is working...

Also I sure there are more then a few Guy's with 07-08 Sprinter's that would be more then willing to give you there DPF...:lol: That will take care of the black soot...

Last edited:

maxzoom

103,000 miles on my Sprinter and not burning any oil. Been changing the oil every 10,000 miles without adding any oil between changes.

The quality of the diesel may be the problem. But i'm in Dutch Harbor Alaska and there is only one diesel station on the island. And by the way this diesel pump has a sign on it... "Not for year 2007 and up vehicles".

I did buy a new muffler that comes with a catalyactic converter. (over $1,500 after shipping) I haven't installed it yet because this brake cleaner trick did give my Sprinter new life.

Just wondering if i can continue the brake cleaner fix without hurting something else.

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
Given the bunker fuel they may be giving you, are you using any additives?

103,000 miles in Dutch Harbor! Impressive. How many miles of road are there?

kubikdaniel

I did putt 1 gal of laquer Cleaner to the diesel tank. After i did putt there max diesel. Car started hard (1 minute) but (to rich mix) but you can fill it. I think it is same like carburator cleaner to the intake pipe

maxzoom

Given the bunker fuel they may be giving you, are you using any additives?

103,000 miles in Dutch Harbor! Impressive. How many miles of road are there?
There are about 38 miles of roadway (only 7 of those paved) all built by the army during World War II.

I stopped needing to do the brake cleaner fix. I found that using those red bottles of heat with every fill-up got rid of the black smoke and produced more power.

Top Bottom