proper hot lead for back up camera

padman63

Hello, I have recently installed a back up camera that works through the factory radio in my 2014 Sprinter. It works fine with the exception of I can't seem to find the right fuse position to hook the hot positive wire so that the camera only works when the engine is on. Even the radio fuse won't work as even when the engine is off and the key is out of the ignition the camera is still powering on. Can anyone tell me which fuse position I should use for the backup camera? Thanks

DieselFumes

2015 4x4 2500 170 Crew
Out of interest, which backup camera did you choose, and are the superimposed grid lines showing accurate distances?

Thx.

ailanthus

No need to remove the seat on my 316 2009. The 3 terminals are accessed by sliding the seat back as far as possible than removing a rather fiddly fibre board cover.

Regards

Liam

padman63

Which radio do you have? Audio15? That's the one I have in my '14. I'm looking to add a camera myself.
I do have the audio 15 in my 2014 cargo. this kit includes a plug that goes right into the back of the radio, that plug is what sends the grid lines to the screen on the radio, the camera then, obviously sends the image you see.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
I do have the audio 15 in my 2014 cargo. this kit includes a plug that goes right into the back of the radio, that plug is what sends the grid lines to the screen on the radio, the camera then, obviously sends the image you see.
Padman, If you get a chance, could you indicate exactly which plug you are referring to? I have been trying to accumulate the details of the Audio 15 in this thread:

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34948

Thanks!

sailquik

padman63,
If you had ordered the OEM factory back up camera, installed at the factory, you would have a system that works perfectly!
I have that option, and I love it....so much better than the aftermarket camera installed in my 2006 T1N 3500!
Roger

padman63

Out of interest, which backup camera did you choose, and are the superimposed grid lines showing accurate distances?

Thx.

check out the attachment showing the screen. Not sure what you mean when you say "accurate distances" So I will just tell you measurements From the red line at the bottom of the screen to the yellow line at the top is 12.5 feet. the distance from the rear bumper to the red line is 2 feet. The width of the Sprinter approximately 6.5 feet is indicated by the outside to outside of the broken yellow lines. I hope that answers your question. Oh, and I found the camera on eBay. It is completely plug and play, very easy to install. My only challenge was to find the proper place to connect to TRUE IGNITION

Attachments

padman63

Padman, If you get a chance, could you indicate exactly which plug you are referring to? I have been trying to accumulate the details of the Audio 15 in this thread:

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34948

Thanks!
Well none of your pics show the complete backside of the radio. All of the connections on the rear are color coded, just like the plug that came with my kit. It connects to the GREEN connection on the rear of the radio, you can't miss it

padman63

padman63,
If you had ordered the OEM factory back up camera, installed at the factory, you would have a system that works perfectly!
I have that option, and I love it....so much better than the aftermarket camera installed in my 2006 T1N 3500!
Roger
Sailquik
Now that I have found the right connection for the hot, I, as you say have a perfectly efficient working camera. When I put it in reverse it showa on my screen of the audio 15 unit. The camera is actually part of the third brake light lens, which was included in the kit. It was super easy to install, only 20 minutes even for an amateur like me. It looks and operates I think just as a factory installed unit. As you say, it does work great, such a nice tool!!

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Well none of your pics show the complete backside of the radio. All of the connections on the rear are color coded, just like the plug that came with my kit. It connects to the GREEN connection on the rear of the radio, you can't miss it
Is it this one?

radio_back.jpg

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
So, all you had to do was plug the video line into the green plug? Other threads have suggested that you have to reprogram the Audio 15 using the CAN bus or some such. Do you think that ANY standard video source plugged into the green socket would display?

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have the factory camera, so I cannot do the test.

chain55105

So, all you had to do was plug the video line into the green plug? Other threads have suggested that you have to reprogram the Audio 15 using the CAN bus or some such. Do you think that ANY standard video source plugged into the green socket would display?

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have the factory camera, so I cannot do the test.
I just finished installing the integrated back up cam from mid city engineering into my 2014 Sprinter. I am using the factory head unit for a display. The camera was not recognized by the head unit until I plugged the supplied "programmer" into the obdii port. You can buy this programmer separately from Mid City. I bought the whole kit from them which included the camera, wires, and programmer. Nice product and inexpensive.

padman63

Yes, you connect the plug to the back of the unit, connect the hot to a true ignition source under the seat, run the line from the camera to the front then program the audio 15 with the supplied OBD connector, takes just a minute or so.

Top Bottom