Injector calssification, urgent help please

BobFur

Greetings to all
After reading all the write ups and comments concerning injector replacement, I finally have courage to attempt exchanging the injectors on my 2006 T1N
All necessary tools & parts are on hand and I just looked the first BOSCH re-manufactured injector and cannot see the Injector Classification Code.
Which is supposed to be a circle with the number 1,2 or 3 inside as per 2005 MB manual.
I understand that BOSCH pn 0986435109 is correct for my 2006
Injector class 004.JPG
Injector class 001.JPG

Maybe things have changed since the 2005 manual was printed :idunno:
can anyone please enlighten me Thanks
Bob

Re: Injector classification coding, urgent help please

No need to panic. Injector coding may not be as critical as indicated. I was unable to code my 2004 injectors. All seems fine.

This is what my book has on injector coding or classification.

053FuelInjector.jpg

There are some of my thoughts about injector coding here. Apply what you feel comfortable with.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=264591#post264591

Good luck. vic

Last edited:

GreenDiesel

Green Diesel Engineering
The bosch factory trim is only +/- 3% on flow based on the "master" injector. It does not even have a trim for solenoid response variance (time from energizing solenoid to flow nozzle needle opening). Many other fuel injector manufacturers use the second trim.

The fuel balancing in ecm compensates flow +/- about 7%. It should hide a classification mismatch no problem.

Good info vic!!

skydiver007

DRB III Owner If You Need
Greetings to all
After reading all the write ups and comments concerning injector replacement, I finally have courage to attempt exchanging the injectors on my 2006 T1N
All necessary tools & parts are on hand and I just looked the first BOSCH re-manufactured injector and cannot see the Injector Classification Code.
Which is supposed to be a circle with the number 1,2 or 3 inside as per 2005 MB manual.
I understand that BOSCH pn 0986435109 is correct for my 2006
View attachment 60327
View attachment 60328

Maybe things have changed since the 2005 manual was printed :idunno:
can anyone please enlighten me Thanks
Bob
It was critical on my 05. It ran like **** when the injectors weren't coded. In the pictures you show the code is AAPT75.

Try coding one at a time. All 5 did not work with a DRB or DAD. One at a time worked fine on the DRBIII

BobFur

Thank you for comprehensive coverage on the matter Vic !
Also appreciate comments from GreenDiesel and SkyDiver, thanks guys.
Anyway after speaking to independent Sprinter tech in Toronto, I decided to chicken out on doing the swap myself
Only 5 hour drive to Toronto (!) so probably worth rolling down to deepest, darkest SW ON for pro installation......I'll watch :popcorn:
Will have the KONI struts & shocks installed there as well :bounce:
Thereby avoiding skinned knuckles altogether
cheers
Bob

Re: Injector classification coding, urgent help please

The bosch factory trim is only +/- 3% on flow based on the "master" injector. It does not even have a trim for solenoid response variance (time from energizing solenoid to flow nozzle needle opening). Many other fuel injector manufacturers use the second trim.

The fuel balancing in ecm compensates flow +/- about 7%. It should hide a classification mismatch no problem. ...
Thanks for the details and percentages. :thumbup:

That is good to know. vic

P.S. - I would have just clicked the "Thanks", but I didn't want it to appear that I was just thanking you for support of my theory, and not thanking you for your percentage details and insight.

Edit
It was critical on my 05. It ran like **** when the injectors weren't coded. In the pictures you show the code is AAPT75.

Try coding one at a time. All 5 did not work with a DRB or DAD. One at a time worked fine on the DRBIII
In another thread it was revealed that Skydiver007 changed his injectors AND the ECM at the same time. That may be a factor in how critical the injector classification is. I swapped out 5 injectors with no ECM change or classification with everything running just fine. Maybe my ECM had already compensated for my particular engine so the new injectors were in range. Or maybe I was just lucky. :idunno:

Last edited:

Top Bottom