2010 3500 RV build

hein

Van Guru
Bathroom/shower pan made out of 1/8" thick black ABS with haircell texture.

I machined grooves along the bend lines and used a strip heater to make the bends. The edges where the walls meet are chamfered so they match up pretty well. I'll probably have a go at welding them water tight myself with a Harbor freight hot air welder. The area around the drain hole will be heated and formed down so the lip of the fitting is flush. The other holes are for the toilet and the three along the back are vents to blow out sand. May need to enlarge those a bit. The pan will be glued to the floor and sealed/caulked to the walls. The Hepo waterless trap will go crosswise towards the grey water tank located behind the rear tire on the opposite side.

Last edited:

hein

Van Guru
ABS bathroom/shower pan glued down. Nice to know I can still haul pavers in the bathroom, ha ha.

The cardboard tube in the corner is wedged against the ceiling to hold that corner of the floor down

hein

Van Guru
Fabricated HDPE grey water tank test fit success. The tank is just tacked together and needs to be finish welded. Hangers and support frame coming up. The black water tank will be opposite hand (mirror) on the other side.

jessemilton

mobile man
Great build out, what type of skid plate or guard will you use to protect those tanks when driving up steep or dificult terrain. I've scraped my tail many times and whenever Ive had my rig towed.

jessemilton

mobile man
Hi, Ive really enjoyed your buildout. I think you've found your new career. Have you made schematic drawing of all work, plumbing and wire layout? I have a engineering background and a design shop but for myself I've never considered this much work. I wish I had seen your tread before you finished your counter top. I like it, but you have the ability to fab one like this. Its from a airstream, Its great as a extra surface that you could machine slot in surface for things you want to have handy when not in kitchen mode. as well a making side walls part of counter so nothing falls off while walking through van

Attachments

hein

Van Guru
Looks great, how big is the tank? George.
15 gallons. That might be a little small for a grey tank but I plan to have a way to transfer water to the black tank. The ATV jack you inspired me to purchase sure has come in handy.

Great build out, what type of skid plate or guard will you use to protect those tanks when driving up steep or dificult terrain. I've scraped my tail many times and whenever Ive had my rig towed.
Thanks for the compliments and kitchen ideas. The support frame will have angles along the sides and a thin plate to protect against debris. The hitch arms should hit well before the tank.

Last edited:

hein

Van Guru
Hepvo water-less trap for the shower (and Rube Goldberg inspired adapters to transition to a 3/4 hose) installed behind left rear mud flap. Also shown; an insulated water line and 12V wiring for the macerator toilet and other bathroom circuits. Small victories lead to a completed build.

Last edited:

hein

Van Guru
Ran a 3/4" ID vent line for the black tank up the driver's side D-pillar. Below; Roof end sealed with 5200. I'll add a layer of Dicor self leveling sealant and devise some sort of cap.

The fitting. A 3/4 MIP nylon hose barb with some 3/4 PVC pipe nuts and an o-ring.

D-pillar routing. Now I can finally trim out the last of the bathroom. Control on the wall is for the Thetford Tecma Plus macerator toilet. I've run a few test flushes (clear water onto the driveway) and can say that it's a nice piece of porcelain poo-tech.

Tank end exiting a hole cut into the corner of the rear under body. Insulated hose is the toilet water supply and PVC pipe is the poop shoot. It will be a straight shot into the tank. The vent line runs upward from the tank so no chance water can block it.

Last edited:

hein

Van Guru
Working on support frames and hangers for the black and grey tanks. Drilled holes in the van for hangers yesterday; cut, welded and grinded the frames today. Also machined some HDPE pads to mount 1 1/2" gate valves (for dumping) directly to the tanks to save clearance. Plan is to have those and the NPT ports welded to the tanks tomorrow. Custom cheapy tank sprayers made up too. Will try to post some pictures later...

Image Below: Black and grey tanks with frames in process. Dump valves placed but not welded. I increased the size to 16 gal but may regret that due to ground clearance. Nothing hangs below the hitch or reduces the approach angle but still kind of low. Tank fabrication process is mostly dialed in so could make a new set of shallower tanks.

Tank sprayers made from Toro sprinkler heads glued into bored out PVC 3/4 NPT pipe plugs.

Grey tank outboard hangers test fitting. In board hangers go up to the frame rails. Need to lift the tanks up and mark the hangers for length.

Last edited:

hein

Van Guru
Spent the day driving around the State of Oregon getting our tanks finished out and pressure tested. The best things about this build is meeting all the awesome people who help us make things.

Support your fabricators!

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
Spent the day driving around the State of Oregon getting our tanks finished out and pressure tested. The best things about this build is meeting all the awesome people who help us make things.

Support your fabricators!
Yes, thank you Hein!

George.

Top Bottom